Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Central Baja road conditions update 2/28/22
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 12:47 PM
Central Baja road conditions update 2/28/22

Hwy 1 to top of Sierra de la San Francisco:
Pavement first 20-odd miles is OK. Dirt last miles, one new long concrete climb section. Dirt section rough & rocky, advise high clearance vehicle, pickup ok, 4WD optional. Watch for oncoming traffic to coordinate passing on cliffs with exposure.

San Ignacio to the lagoon and south on the low road/playa:
Some pot holes to watch for on the paved road south, then usual dirt/washboard. Playa run south is good, watch for main shiny most-used 2-track, and especially watch out for head-ons with local fisherman going around curves in the dunes. 2WD ok.

South of the playa going over to the main camino road south to San Juanico:
Very rough/rocky essentially the whole way. Damage from December storms (or racing?) not repaired. We used 4WD about half time for bumpy rock crawling.

Camino San Juanico/La Ballena/Cadeje:
Really rough, rocky, torn up and damaged essentially the whole way south. Many washouts. Last year was a 3 to 4 track fast road, now is really rough/tough 2 track. We used 4WD for majority and 4WD low for a couple three climbs. Is now a dirt bike road only for me, done beating up the big 4 wheel equipment here, too bad. San Juanico beach palapas "downtown" are gone, same for the beach there.

San Juanico to La Purisima via Las Barrancas:
Paved, no serious issues. Usual cows, etc.

La Purisima to Hwy 1, eastbound:
Really rough and rocky, slow going 2 track, needs repair. 4WD high most climbs, 4WD low 2 or 3 climbs due to loose rocks and torn up surface.
I cannot advise 2WD low clearance (cars) for this road. The east end (4 miles) is still fast and will suck in westbound drivers, you have been told!

Now go have fun going somewhere, we did!

Reference: professionally lifted Ford 250 4WD V8 van, dual bilstiens, tall BFG all terrains. Aired down for off road.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 04:32 PM

Thanks for the report! Sounds like they are all similar to my last run on those roads, and I look forward to driving them again. Flat, straight, paved roads are boring!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Retiredbrain

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 05:22 PM
San Javier to Comondu

Drove from San Javier to San Miguel Comondu via the dirt road in my 87 2wd drive, VW westfalia on 3/4/22. It took 2 hours and 20 minutes to do the 28 miles. My van is lifted with BFG KO2 and a rear locker. About nine miles in there is 600 foot climb with loose rocks and some small steps, and short steep sections. Had to engage the locker for the climb and needed a running start for one steep section as I can’t crawl, having no 4wd low. Descending the plateau to the northwest was also rocky and steep.
This was a beautiful drive, best suited for 4wd high clearance vehicles with descent all terrain tires.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 06:12 PM

Thanks Al & RetiredBrain!
Interesting in that both of your reports mimics most of the conditions I found back in 2017!
I did use the low road between San Ignacio Lagoon and San Juanico as it was the popular choice and I heard the high road was really rough and partially washed out. Of course the next year they fixed the high road and made it the preferred route. Guess the low (Salina) road may be the popular choice again?

These Nomad fresh road reports are the greatest!
Welcome to Nomad Retiredbrain!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 11:41 AM

Al, I remember years ago the Comondu road (from San Juanico to San Javier) was so horrible that I took the "east road" instead, and it was really nice. Then things switched and the east road was horrible and Comondu was nice. Now, it would seem they're both bad. Any news on the east road?

I'm leaving any day now from Tecate on a WR450. Any intel would be appreciated.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.