Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: SD plate sting op
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 12:42 PM
SD plate sting op

Finally! Cops have set up a sting op in and out of La Paz for people with SD plates.
They had 2 sites today and yesterday with multiple cars with SD lates pulled over.
Just an FYI that finally they maybe getting serious about people trying to cheat their, and my, government.

They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.

Maybe a good time to do the right thing, quit cheating the system, and get “er“ done! Help out the system you spend a bunch of time in and use the roads!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 01:42 PM

only cars made in mexico usa and canada
for now

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 03:26 PM

I could use some eduction on this. What is the cheat associated with SD plated cars? Thanks.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I could use some eduction on this. What is the cheat associated with SD plated cars? Thanks.

People "leave" california (or other states) to live in Baja, then register their USA cars in mexico to avoid california (or other state) registration fees, as SD is uber cheap reg fee, and avoid legally importing cars into mexico.

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars (and residing in the country on tourist cards not intended for temp or perm residents).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 04:44 PM

Thanks goat. I get that re. expat residents. If you're someone who owns a place and keeps a car down there, but for the time being only visits for less than 180 days per year and so is not a temp or perm resident and can't register for Mex plates, is there some sort of foreign car registration and fee that should be paid? I would not have a problem complying, but I'm interested in minimizing opportunities for the muni cops to pull me over and having to go through that dance.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

People "leave" california (or other states) to live in Baja, then register their USA cars in mexico to avoid california (or other state) registration fees, as SD is uber cheap reg fee, and avoid legally importing cars into mexico.

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars (and residing in the country on tourist cards not intended for temp or perm residents).

They also save on not having to smog check every two years and CA registration fees have gone up in the last few years. At least this is a "loophole" that even the "little people" can utilize.

Unless the owner him/herself is overstaying their legal time in Mexico, I don't see how having a car with SD plates is any less a problem than one with CA plates. Perhaps that's really what they are looking for? People "freeloading" off Mexican residency rules. Older, white, illegal immigrants?

Isn't that the same as all the foreigners holding expired visas but still in the USA? Our biggest chronic illegal population?

John

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by John Harper]
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 04:54 PM

Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So I have the same question, how is this cheating anyone?

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  

countries create rules for importing goods, usually to protect the country's economy and consumers. i suppose mexico is injured by people illegally importing cars.

buy mexican!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 05:47 PM

Let me get this right. If I am a non-resident visitor, it is legal for me to purchase a Mexican plated vehicle and drive it alone in Baja, leaving it there for my use?
This would definitely be the very easiest for me to accomplish, but I have been told by others this is not legal.

I have also been told it is entirely legal to drive a Canadian vehicle down there, re-register it each year in Canada, buy insurance for Mexico and drive it alone. Is there some unknown problem with this?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  
Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So not correct. We are a “ Mexican family“ and own at least 6 cars. We get them all relicensed every year and pay our fare, or more than, share.

Mexico has made it easy to register your vehicle that you use, or keep, here.

The cheating part is that an enormous amount of people come and don't want to pay for the services they receive. Many locals despise this and will actually target those who don't....namly gringos.

True, there are many Mexicans who also avoid this simple requirement due to economic circumstances, but if your a griogo, living here, at least do your part for helping the economy and doing the right thing....unless you live your life as a cheat.

Just saying
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 05:58 PM

My roommate (has PR status) says she cannot own a Mexican registered car. I don't know if that is actually true or not. Manson says not true.

My suspicion about crackdowns is that the Mexicans aren't as dumb as some think, and they know SD plated cars signify "permanent" residency, so they also may want to know the "residency" status of the owner.

John

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by John Harper]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 06:21 PM

This is what Mexlaw has to say:

https://mexlaw.com/foreigners-registering-vehicle-mexico/
There is a lot of advice out there about foreigners buying a vehicle in Mexico, including stories about tourists purchasing and registering cars in their name or registering the vehicle in a Mexican Nationals name. Neither of these options is a secure choice and may put your vehicle at risk.

“Vehicles should only be registered by foreigners holding a residence visa”

You should obtain a Temporary or Permanent Visa before buying and registering a vehicle as you will be required to provide a CURP number at some point, which you receive from having a Resident Visa.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 06:43 PM

Sounds like it hurts the poor more than anything.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 06:47 PM

well another reason we like to register our cars in SD other than lower fees and no smog is NO insurance requirement....now sure there's only a couple states that don't require insurance but SD isn't one of them...I can only assume the loophole there is you're NOT in SD. Obviously the whole deal might be a little shady but SD is making a bundle and thousands of transplants regardless of INM status are happy.....with the exception of Charlie I suppose.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 07:16 PM

We would be more than happy to regularize our cars down here. Permanent residents (and visas) with two cars registered in SD (where we are also residents). We do not want to import them, not necessarily because of the cost, but because we would have to take them back to the border to do so. Also, as I understand it, there are requirements for importing cars that make it difficult to do so (too new or too old). Both of our vehicles are old-ish (2005 and 2012), which I thought fell into the "hole" where they could not be imported at all, but may have bad info. So far, it has not been clear to me that we can go just go in and pay (somewhere ... una delagación nearby?) to get plates or whatever.

anyone have experience doing so?

jake
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The difference between my CA registration fees on vehicle and my SD registration fees is less than $50. (CA $158 vs SD $134) The only reason I went with SD, was to keep a valid CA registration, I needed to provide proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) for a vehicle that will never see US highways ever again.

Why should I pay CA DMV for a vehicle that will never be operated in CA? Obviously the correct thing to do would be to register in BCS where it is permanently housed and operated. However, I was told that it is too old to import (2007). No cheating intended here!

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by BajaParrothead]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 07:55 PM

Sad that false propagandists post here and the site allows them to continue.

There is no SD Plate Sting, absolutely. There is no problem with anyone passing through Baja with current legally plated cars.

By the way, the majority of cars do not have legal plates, no plates at all, no lights, no turn signals, nothing, those people are allowed to pass because everyone has the right to transit. Just be careful, be calm, be patient, if you are pulled over for any reason, stay calm, patient, everyone has the right to transit.

What is criminal is that there are a large group of people on this site that post false info to provoke fear, and confusion, which is intentional, they are part of a group of propagandists who post false info here, most appear to be associate to government employment, meaning FEDs, you are unlikely to find accurate info on this site due to the amount of fake news posted by these fake news agents, who apparently are being paid to sit at home and discourage people to travel to Baja and enjoy the freedom you will find in the dessert and beaches of Baja.

Sad this continues and is permitted on the site. Baja is absolutely free for everyone to transit, including any foreign plated vehicle, and even non -plated off road vehicles and motos.

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:06 PM

The latest news is that cars with no plates at all, no lights, missing parts etc, missing windows, these are called "Chocolates", they will be stopped, and encouraged to become regularized, unclear what the outcome is beyond advisement. The impound lots are empty.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:14 PM

I believe non Mexican residents can register a vehicle in Mexico with Anapromex. Only thing, is you cannot drive an Anapromex registered vehicle into an airport or the port in La Paz, due to Federal rules.
This from an amigo here, but may be worth looking into.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Sad that false propagandists post here and the site allows them to continue.

Paul,
you are the top misinforming propagandist ever to post on nomad! Do you make yourself sad?

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.