Author: Subject: SD plate sting op
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  
Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So I have the same question, how is this cheating anyone?

So not correct. We are a “ Mexican family“ and own at least 6 cars. We get them all relicensed every year and pay our fare, or more than, share.

Mexico has made it easy to register your vehicle that you use, or keep, here.

The cheating part is that an enormous amount of people come and don't want to pay for the services they receive. Many locals despise this and will actually target those who don't....namly gringos.

True, there are many Mexicans who also avoid this simple requirement due to economic circumstances, but if your a griogo, living here, at least do your part for helping the economy and doing the right thing....unless you live your life as a cheat.

I am sorry !!! I thought you were referring to the current effort to legalize chocolate cars!! I do own two Mexican plated cars, one made here and one imported by some one else. I register them every year but, no way am I able to do it for 2500 pesos a year!!! That is only part of the cost to legalize a chocolate car. According to the ones (Mexicans) that I know have legalized a chocolate car have tried to do a second one and have not been able.

Down here on the Baja there is absolutely no known reason to import, even if you can get an appointment at the border to do it!!! Some have gone through the process to avoid more trips north, but that is still their choice....no cheating that I can see!!!!

Where is it cheating?

Just saying

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
I believe non Mexican residents can register a vehicle in Mexico with Anapromex. Only thing, is you cannot drive an Anapromex registered vehicle into an airport or the port in La Paz, due to Federal rules.
This from an amigo here, but may be worth looking into.

Apparently you can't drive Anapromex rego on federal roads either. One exception is between Mexicali and San Felipe, other exceptions may exist but don't know where.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:38 PM

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

More on this?
It is my understanding that other than Onappafa and Anapromex, there is no way to import and register a foreign vehicle outside the "window", (no less than 5 and no more than 10 years old???). Leaves me out.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 08:57 PM

Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?
Or spend your time online or whatever and find a way to scam your way out of it.
Its really not a big deal people! They allow all vehicles that actually have taillights to do it.
Easy and its called doing the right thing...remember Spike Lee“s movie.

Personally, I really happy to see this...but hey, I live here.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Charlie

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So I have the same question, how is this cheating anyone?

So not correct. We are a “ Mexican family“ and own at least 6 cars. We get them all relicensed every year and pay our fare, or more than, share.

Mexico has made it easy to register your vehicle that you use, or keep, here.

The cheating part is that an enormous amount of people come and don't want to pay for the services they receive. Many locals despise this and will actually target those who don't....namly gringos.

True, there are many Mexicans who also avoid this simple requirement due to economic circumstances, but if your a griogo, living here, at least do your part for helping the economy and doing the right thing....unless you live your life as a cheat.

I am sorry !!! I thought you were referring to the current effort to legalize chocolate cars!! I do own two Mexican plated cars, one made here and one imported by some one else. I register them every year but, no way am I able to do it for 2500 pesos a year!!! That is only part of the cost to legalize a chocolate car. According to the ones (Mexicans) that I know have legalized a chocolate car have tried to do a second one and have not been able.

Down here on the Baja there is absolutely no known reason to import, even if you can get an appointment at the border to do it!!! Some have gone through the process to avoid more trips north, but that is still their choice....no cheating that I can see!!!!

Where is it cheating?

Just saying

New laws dude. Made to allow freeloader.
Drive by a municipally and ask to get your car imported. And for sake of no misinformation, it is 2,500 to import and about 200 pesos a year.

Do the math and the right thing....o r just continue to cheat us and get your car, truck, atv or all confiscated. Your choice.

Sorry for posting what is happening and good luck to all.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 09:10 PM

There is so much misinformation posted here, the site is nothing more than intentional misinformation and has been for a long time.

There are endless options to register your car if desired, currently, 8 or more Amparo (legal options against formal importation) options like anapromex, 12 or more regularization options (new legal options to register any vehicle though requires many papers), traditional importation through Aduana, register traditionally in the home location of the vehicle, etc. Or if you live in a pueblo rural area you may not need to register the car since its not a requirement for transit in your local community.

Point is you probably should not drive a car that is unregistered, without lights, bumpers, windows etc into a major city.

Bigger point, there are many internet trolls on this site who post misinformation to cause confusion.

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by gnukid]
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 09:15 PM
Oregon plates

were just going camping for a couple of weeks in March and returning to Oregon. Any problem with that ?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 01:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Mexico wonders why 9 out of 10 gringos retirees (temp and perm mexico residents) are living in mexico but driving around in SD plated cars

Say what? Name your source for this statistic. There's no permanent residents driving around in foreign plated cars over here on the mainland. That was over a long time ago.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 01:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My roommate (has PR status) says she cannot own a Mexican registered car. I don't know if that is actually true or not. Manson says not true.

My suspicion about crackdowns is that the Mexicans aren't as dumb as some think, and they know SD plated cars signify "permanent" residency, so they also may want to know the "residency" status of the owner.

John

[Edited on 3-2-2022 by John Harper]

Your roommate is either lying or clueless. Owning and driving a Mexican plated car is exactly what all permanent residents have to do. All prs drive Mexican plated cars on the mainland.

And what do you mean, SD plates signify permanent residency? That may be the case in Baja, but it certainly isn't anywhere else in Mexico. The SD plates were used a lot by temporary, not permanent residents.

That's because a temp resident can drive a foreign plated car in Mexico, but a lot couldn't keep their US registration up to date without bringing the car in to wherever it was registered every year. The SD plates eliminated that problem and there is nothing illegal about it.

As far as your question about Canadian registration, yes, that's what I did for years as a temporary resident. I renewed the registration, but not the Canadian insurance by putting it under their rate class used for non-driven vehicles. I wasn't cheating- I talked to ICBC about it, explaining that the vehicle was in Mexico, where the Canadian insurance was invalid. It was all above board.

Now, doing that as someone on a tourist visa is different. I don't know how it works in Baja, but anywhere else in Mexico, a tourist cannot leave their vehicle in Mexico. When you leave the country, the vehicle has to leave as well, as the TIP is only good for the length of the tourist card, regardless of whether the registration is current.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Your roommate is either lying or clueless.

And what do you mean, SD plates signify permanent residency?

No need for an ad hominem attack on my roommate, she just told me what she knew, and I stated it could be wrong.

I just posed a possible reason for one particular state's cars were being targeted. And, I would imagine there is an expatriate population living outside the proper laws of residency, intentionally or not. SD plated cars don't need to return to the US for registration, so being left permanently in Mexico seems a likely characteristic. As this thread shows, there is lots of information, and misinformation out there.

John
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
I believe non Mexican residents can register a vehicle in Mexico with Anapromex. Only thing, is you cannot drive an Anapromex registered vehicle into an airport or the port in La Paz, due to Federal rules.
This from an amigo here, but may be worth looking into.

I got that exact same info from a friend in La Paz. I was told those plates indicated it was "in process of being imported". I have purchased a Mexican plated vehicle registered to my Mexican son-in-law for my family's use, but am still unsure if we can legally drive it without him in the vehicle. Some say "yes" others say "no"

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 07:42 AM

if you are a foreign national residing in Mexico (no matter what residency status), you can drive a car with Mexican plates (either your own or somebody else's) and have a Mexican driver’s license

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 07:51 AM

a Mexican citizen can not drive a foreign plated car without its owner present in the car.

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 08:22 AM

Yes Harald, you and one other had previously told me this was the case. I and my family will have Canadian driver's licenses and will be visitors only. We are trying to confirm if this is fully legal and also if we are covered on my Son-in-laws liability insurance.
The other option is to do what we have done in the past and "borrow" a Canadian licensed vehicle.
As a guest in Mexico, we want to be fully compliant when we visit for long periods and avoid the extremely high rental costs.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 09:22 AM

Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?

Once again Charlie....Elaborate on this. Doesn't sound like the importation process that I'm familiar with, ie: start at the border, use a broker,, wait a few days, pay a considerable amount.... Everybody would gladly do the above if it was true. The local municipality is not going to import a vehicle, nor issue plates until it is imported.

If this isn't BS, what is the name of the process, what municipio have you done this at????

I live here too and have never heard of this process, otherwise there would be no need for Anapromex, Anapafa.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 09:28 AM

What percentage of SD plates in Baja have handicap plates allowing expats to get front row parking at the beer store?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 10:50 AM

"stop by the municipally and get it done for 2500 pesos,how hard is it?" well its obvious Charlie doesn't know wtf he's talking about.....this is the process.
https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/10/27/these-are-the-require...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 11:04 AM

"Simple answer. Stop by the municipally and get it done for 2,500 pesos. How hard is it?"

this is the proposed process to legalize Chocolate Cars (cars that have not been properly imported and currently have Anapromex etc plates)
Most of these cars are held by Mexicans - but some expats have chosen this route as well
fees quoted last week were $4,000 pesos.
However, the rules are changing every week (insurance yes/no, emissions etc)
only vehicles that had previously been registered with Anapromex or similar are eligible for this new process

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/podrian-ser-legal...

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 11:19 AM

Importing cars into Mexico?

It is almost impossible!
Occasionally creative importers have made it possible in the past
this was by no means a legal process
but with the new government all loopholes were closed

That is the main reason why many expats still drive around with various US plates
they would happily pay even inflated legalizing fees for importing
but it can NOT be done

sure expats could buy a Mexican car
BUT - without permanent residency and the all important CURP number,
foreigners can NOT register a Mexican car
so, for foreigners who do not have a CURP number yet
only the route of a US plated car is open

main reason for South Dakota plates is that no physical inspections on a regular basis (like a smog check in California) is required
other states (Oregon, Arizona etc) offer the same benefit

another reason why you see mostly South Dakota plates is that a clever business man in Cabo San Lucas promoted this route for yeas (including doing the paperwork for you)

saving registration fees isn't really a motivation for "rich" expats

Harald Pietschmann
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
"stop by the municipally and get it done for 2500 pesos,how hard is it?" well its obvious Charlie doesn't know wtf he's talking about.....this is the process.
https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/10/27/these-are-the-require...

And it gets even more convoluted. I found this on the Census website:

"Shipper's Export Declaration (SED). The Department of Commerce paper form used under the
Foreign Trade Statistics Regulations to collect information from an entity exporting from the
United States. This form was used for compiling the official U.S. export statistics for the United
States and for export control purposes. The SED became obsolete on October 1, 2008, with the
implementation of the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) and has been superseded by the EEI
filed in the AES or through the AESDirect."

Everything I found in the AES indicates that this process must be completed by a licensed exporter.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.