Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: SD plate sting op
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-5-2022 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

DMV workers, like Senior Baja Nomads, often do not read the documentation, they may be stubborn, or likely ignorant, and even intentionally mislead people because they derive pleasure from causing misunderstandings, inducing fear and inconveniencing others, apparently as a symptom of insecure, narcissistic, abusive behavior.

thank you for your very clear presentation
you are absolutely correct with every word

my point was what you describe in your last sentence

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-5-2022 at 03:30 PM
Looks like some of those "chocolates" are heading back north!

Russians and Ukranians coming accross our southern border;

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Russians+And+Ukrainians+A...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2022 at 03:57 PM

To add clarification for anyone who is interested in the topic, in the DMV system in USA, there are actually 3 addresses possible, by default they are all the same, garage, residence and mailing address. Garage address affects smog requirements and hiway and road taxes, residence is usually where mail comes, and is considered the legal address, and mailing is an alternate mailing address. For Baja residents, you can use your Baja address for any or all three, or vice versa. When you use the Baja address, (except for Laredo, Ensenada, and Tijuana), there is no Smog check since it would be burdensome or impossible to return and there is accommodation for differences in fuel, and you can receive the registration and stickers to your Baja house, if mail is delivered, which is unreliable. I use my Baja address for the garage address, and use my USA residence as residence and a mailing address to send the stickers to an intermediary address that will send them with Fedex or via friend for reliability. I have reliably received all commuications from DMV via USA snail mail to La Paz addresses.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2022 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  
Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

Only a Mexican citizen can legalize one car per family.

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

So I have the same question, how is this cheating anyone?
My wife went in to try and regularize her car but couldn't do it because it was made in Japan.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 02:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Charlie

[They are, however, allowing people to register their vehicles, for a nominal fee at the municipally. I believe its around $2,500 pesos.]

And in all of Baja there is no requirement (or process) to have a TIP on a foreign plated vehicle regardless of immigration status. So why would anyone be willing to pay the high CA registration fees when the vehicle is in Baja all year? They do not receive any benefit from keeping registration in CA. What is wrong with exercising common sense and managing your money?

My wife went in to try and regularize her car but couldn't do it because it was made in Japan.

They say car must be built in USA, Canada or Mexico but it seems each week they open it up to fewer requirements. Let's see if anyone has completed it this week with a car from Japan or Korea ...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 08:47 AM

the most popular cars in Baja are Japanese

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 08:57 AM

Many brands are legally imported to the US. I am sure Mexico means US spec cars are just fine - not necessarily US built.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 08:58 AM

Toyota has assembly plants all over the world. So the ones assembled in Canada, the US, and Mexico would be allowed, but the ones assembled in South America, Europe or Asia would not?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 09:53 AM

Not so AK my Mex Nissan diesel Nor my ordered 2022 Hilux diesel can have usa plates.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Toyota has assembly plants all over the world. So the ones assembled in Canada, the US, and Mexico would be allowed, but the ones assembled in South America, Europe or Asia would not?

Exactly. If the VIN number starts with a letter, it can't be imported by an individual. Only dealerships can import
those vehicles. NAFTA vehicles have VINs that start with a number.
Don't hold out any hope that will change.

I had a Honda CRV that was from Canada, but manufactured in Japan. VIN number started with a J. I couldn't import it.
But there are the exact same Honda CRVs that are assembled in the US, the VIN starts with a number, and those can be imported.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Charlie

They say car must be built in USA, Canada or Mexico but it seems each week they open it up to fewer requirements. Let's see if anyone has completed it this week with a car from Japan or Korea ...

My wife just went a few days ago.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 05:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not so AK my Mex Nissan diesel Nor my ordered 2022 Hilux diesel can have usa plates.
Just curious, what's the price on a Hilux diesel these days?

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 07:40 AM

Just curious, what's the price on a Hilux diesel these days?

$28,000 USD - Manual, etc
$34,000 USD - Automatic, etc

MSRP - Toyota HiLux
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 11:47 AM

It is 4 month wait after order one. Im a die hard manual trans guy when you order . The 6sp manual the cheaper price is not only because manual trans. Only in Mexico diesel Hilux man trans is a work truck only . Only white or silver color small wheels tires no fancy stuff .You do get AC but the deal breaker for me no more power windows. You cant get those anymore as of two years ago w manual trans . all other countries sell Hilux stick or auto you can have all anything you want. No deposit on truck to order a month before deliver deposit. They will not give test drive of any kind so I may cancel . New truck order manual trans put power windows in front doors.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 11:53 AM

As far as Charlie mc cheat advice simple to convert usa car to Mexico info . Total sugar coat BS as I answered him long time ago. Old cars and trucks cannot be reg in Mexico.:D He wrote then your nuts to have them :?:So now he is the how many trucks you can have police . Love nomads thinking
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.