BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: A couple of Nomads....M.I.A., or A.B.N.?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 12:40 PM

Vehicles or Bikes left unattended would be probably be noticed by opportunistic characters and not left in place for very long.
I recall a post by fatboy a while back on a water trip around Sacramento with I believe his daughter? If there was a way of contacting her it could provide some answers. Hope some positive information turns up.

[Edited on 8-14-2022 by LancairDriver]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 02:08 PM

Someone posted that GED was not participating here out of choice, but that he is fine.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Anybody ever find fatboy, dead or alive?

Two years ago, I had a couple of U2U exchanges with him when his place was surrounded by wildfire. All I know about him is that his first name is John, and he had a place in Berry Creek (north of Oroville CA.

I know he had family near Oroville, but I don't know any other first, or last names. If anyone on this forum has more information to go on, I would drive up there and ask around to see if anyone can provide an answer.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 10:54 AM
Fatboy Mystery, Correspondence going back in time:

I just did a search of my emails and found these exchanges I was trying to help Fatboy with logistics... I found no emails to him, so they must have been all Nomad u2u exchanges.

On Feb. 1, 2022, this email came from Kevin of CaminoRealBaja.com:
Hello David,

Funny that you write asking about new waypoints. I have my gps unit and 2 computers sitting in front of me and I am getting ready to begin the process of updating the waypoints. Yes, we do have some waypoints to add and a couple of corrections to make. Also, we decided to add the, known to us, water sources for the Sta Gertrudis to San Borja section for future backpackers. I sent an email to John (Fatboy?) asking him if he was backpacking this same section, but he never responded. We had hoped to provide him with some corrections and waypoints for water sources if that was his plan. He should be ok as long as he was willing to hunt down the waterholes, carry a lot of water and avoid the narcos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U2U on Jan. 26 from Fatboy:

David,
A lot of unknowns with this hike, and I honestly will not make a decision until I am at the trailhead and even then I may start and then bail at some point during the trip due to the conditions.
I will not be carrying a Spot device so nothing to track.
Keeping it low key on the board since there is a better than even chance I wont be able to pull it off, between the limited water, the drought and now that there may be Narcos at key water holes it does not look encouraging.

Still, heading down Friday and will just wait and see.

John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My reply (Jan. 26):

Understood. Well, if you change your mind, let me know. Also, if you don't want your location made public, I would honor that. But, do take the Spot for emergency!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ON Jan. 24, 2022 from me to Kevin (CaminoRealBaja.com):

I don't know his last name, but it is a 'John' with the Nomad name "Fatboy" and he plans on leaving to this in four days.
I am sure it is the same person as I had initially suggested he contact you regarding water holes, etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An hour earlier, from Kevin (Jan. 24):

Are you talking about John S...? I did give him the warning about the narcos. If you are speaking about someone else, yes, pass on my warning and feel free to quote me. Does John still plan to go on this same route?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov. 4, 2021 from me to Edie (The Mission Walker):

Thanks for the reply... I had already sent 'Fatboy' your other email address, so check that one. His real name is John S... and his daughter is 22 years old.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov. 2, 2021 from me to 'Baja Bucko':

On Baja Nomad, 'Fatboy' (who has been a good Nomad explorer in years past) is looking for details (especially water sources) on ECR north for Santa Gertrudis. I think he is walking solo and not hiring a burro to carry water?
You know more about this section than anyone else...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon searching my emails under his real name, I discover that John (Fatboy) ordered books from me in August 2020 and November of 2021. So, I have his email and home address, but no phone number. In u2u exchanges last November, we discussed the books he ordered.

I sent him an email today...

On Facebook, I have two friends named John S..., so I messaged them both to see if either of them is our long lost Fatboy.

[Edited on 8-15-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 11:11 AM

Thank you David for the added information, a last name is something to work with. Out of respect for privacy (his, yours, and mine) U2U or personal e-mail would probably be the best wat to proceed from this point.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 11:19 AM

One of the two John S. on Facebook just replied, and he is not Fatboy.

[Edited on 8-15-2022 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thank you David for the added information, a last name is something to work with. Out of respect for privacy (his, yours, and mine) U2U or personal e-mail would probably be the best wat to proceed from this point.

I won't post anyone's personal info but I think all the Nomads working together to find Fatboy can continue to get updates. I just hope another member here has a connection to him.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 01:56 PM

I think we have concluded Fatboy is okay, but only from finding his daughter on social media and not reading anything negative about her dad from January to now. Will hope for more from messages or emails!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 02:04 PM

Thanks again! All I know is what has been presented on this forum, and nothing here even confirms that he crossed into Mexico.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 03:28 PM
contact?

David, are you able to confirm that you did contact his daughter? Did she reply to anything? Can you confirm that it IS fatboy's relative?

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 03:42 PM

We are still collecting data, John M.
When Fatboy ordered my mission book, has asked me to sign it to him and his daughter. That same female name has the same dad (per her Facebook posts) as is Fatboy and the hometown that I mailed the books to was mentioned by her... So yes, I am sure she is her.
When we learn more about her dad or why he went silent, it will be shared here.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 03:53 PM

I sent a detailed message via Facebook to the daughter of "Fatboy". I just received confirmation that he is alive and well.

"Fatboy" returned from his trip safely.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 03:58 PM

From Fatboy's daughter, on August 15, 2022:

"Thank you for your concern 🙂 John is home safe! He had a beautiful time on that trip and I'm sure has lots to tell his bajanomad friends - I'll remind him to update you all so you don't have to worry and can hear about his adventure. He ended up shortening that hike a bit, I think due to organizing rides and such, but it ended up still being quite a journey.

Thanks again so much for your care and concern. I'll pass your message along!"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 04:00 PM

Excellent 😊

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2022 at 05:07 PM

Good to know that he isn't still out there somewhere! I was planning on helping him out with shuttling him from one end of the trail to the other, but family issues beyond my control forced me to back out of the trip.

I have felt guilty ever since he dropped out of contact with this forum.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 03:59 PM

Wow, an older-person-who-"disappeared"-in-Mexico story (well, maybe just disappeared from Baja Nomads) that has a happy ending.

That's refreshing........:rolleyes:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Wow, an older-person-who-"disappeared"-in-Mexico story (well, maybe just disappeared from Baja Nomads) that has a happy ending.

That's refreshing........:rolleyes:

:lol: no kidding, we call em "escapee's"
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 06:00 PM

Hope fatboy shows up to tell us about his hike, its one thats on my list.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 08:05 PM

Good to know happy ending
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 09:20 PM

I'm sure when he comes on here he will be excited to see how many of us were worried about him.

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.