BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: A couple of Nomads....M.I.A., or A.B.N.?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:57 AM

Congratualtions to Fatboy for staying off the internet. Cell phones, internet and social media are decreasing our enjoyment of life. I'm only speaking for myself. Steve Jobs would feel like his ideas were a little less incredible if he was still alive today.

Go Fatboy!

=)
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Congratualtions to Fatboy for staying off the internet. Cell phones, internet and social media are decreasing our enjoyment of life

=)

X2, aside the info one can find online, allowing it to
become a major part of one's waking hrs. is pointless.
But I don't have a cell ph., don't know how to dial one

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2022 at 12:49 PM
Remembering Roy, The Squarecircle

Roy is still with us but he will likely not be on Nomad again.

The squarecircle is friend who loved traveling in Baja and he joined Elizabeth and I on several trips. Many know him from driving the first full-size vehicle on the La Turquesa Grade, in 2008 (with help from TW and others). At least it's the first that we know of.

In 2007, his lady-friend, Blanche, joined Elizabeth and I on a trip to Mission Santa María... That was the trip that a bunch of bighorn visited us.

Roy suffered some kind of malady that caused him to have to move to a care facility. A few of us from Nomad pitched in to help Roy and his brother sell off his things and put his El Cajon mobile home and vehicles up for sale. Fellow Squarecircle amigo, TW (TMW/ Tom) helped Roy a lot and now Roy is living near Tom's home and he gets regular visits.

Because Roy enjoyed Baja activities with such gusto and he was always eager to go exploring, I made a website page to remember those trips we took with Roy (Pyramid Resort Book Signings, Discover Baja parties, Off Road Expo, El Rosario Festivals, The Seven Sisters Coast and on to Shari's, Baja races, etc.)

Enjoy my fond memories of Roy Hall, The Squarecircle on Baja Nomad, with this album: https://vivabaja.com/squarecircle/

Roy at Montevideo

Coco’s Corner Nov. 2006: Roy, Josh, Coco, Elizabeth, David

More: https://vivabaja.com/squarecircle/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2022 at 08:35 PM

Very Sorry about this.. :(
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2022 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Very Sorry about this.. :(

Welcome back! We are all very happy that you are doing well!

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 04:25 PM

Thanks, JZ!!!!

To this....

Quote:

Congratualtions to Fatboy for staying off the internet. Cell phones, internet and social media are decreasing our enjoyment of life. I'm only speaking for myself. Steve Jobs would feel like his ideas were a little less incredible if he was still alive today.

Go Fatboy!

Social media has gone sideways for me and it is such a shame, because distant friends and relatives enjoyed my posting about my trips. While I still go see amazing places and do stupid things fewer now know about it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 04:42 PM

Social media has gone sideways for me and it is such a shame, because distant friends and relatives enjoyed my posting about my trips. While I still go see amazing places and do stupid things fewer now know about it.

One benefit of not posting everything as it happens, is that as your stories develop color with age, you won't be pestered with conflicting details that you reported in the past! :rolleyes:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 05:55 PM

Thanks Fatboy... but never hesitate to ask for help or have me as an inReach/ Spot contact. I can get the word out pretty timely if you need assistance. Graham, Mike Younghusband, Pappy Jon, are just some of the Nomads I am happy to do relays for.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Fatboy... but never hesitate to ask for help or have me as an inReach/ Spot contact. I can get the word out pretty timely if you need assistance. Graham, Mike Younghusband, Pappy Jon, are just some of the Nomads I amn happy to do relays for.

I appreciate it and I have seen some threads where you are able to post their location which is way cool.

Problem/issue for me is I don't own one, but understand it is not an issue for me.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 08:04 PM

Thanks Fatboy... but never hesitate to ask for help or have me as an inReach/ Spot contact. I can get the word out pretty timely if you need assistance. Graham, Mike Younghusband, Pappy Jon, are just some of the Nomads I amn happy to do relays for.

I appreciate it and I have seen some threads where you are able to post their location which is way cool.

Problem/issue for me is I don't own one, but understand it is not an issue for me.

or perhaps not everyone opts for the umbilical cord and seeks a bit more "adventure"??

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

or perhaps not everyone opts for the umbilical cord and seeks a bit more "adventure"??

Which is really the truth but when I approach it that way it is common to get push back, so it is easier to avoid the topic.

Since I often go alone into the backcountry one could one day save mine or someone's else's life.

Of course it would be safer to not go into the backcountry, or to leave town, or to leave my house but it is my own personal decision to decide what is too risky and what safety level I want.

I am not deciding for you, just for me. Some people ALWAYS go into the backcountry armed, and some people will say that is usually too much, but if it is legal and makes them feel better than it is none of my concern.

So no Spot device for me in the near future, maybe someday I will, and if I should die in the backcountry DO NOT say he should have had one.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.