Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 2022 San Felipe 250 Race (Map) Discussion
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2022 at 04:23 PM
2022 San Felipe 250 Race (Map) Discussion

The actual race day appears to be Saturday April 2.

The parallel course (blue line) for bikes and quads (I hear) to keep Trophy Trucks from catching up to them, and running them over!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 05:15 AM

Thanks for posting. Yes, anything with 4 wheels is a bit scary if you are on a bike. Especially trophy trucks!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 06:52 AM

Will the promoter leave the desert cleaner than it was before?

Unfortunately, no.

The promoter will attract many people to the remote desert, knowing full well (from past experience) that the fans and racers will leave trash/litter all over. But the promoter will not take any responsibility and clean up the mess. Desert dirtier, trash blowing in the wind. Shame!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Unfortunately, no.

The promoter will attract many people to the remote desert, knowing full well (from past experience) that the fans and racers will leave trash/litter all over. But the promoter will not take any responsibility and clean up the mess. Desert dirtier, trash blowing in the wind. Shame!

In all fairness, the promoter didn't throw the trash on the ground. Same thing happens every Fourth of July at the beaches in San Diego.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Unfortunately, no.

In all fairness, the promoter didn't throw the trash on the ground. Same thing happens every Fourth of July at the beaches in San Diego.

It sounds like you are the type of person that invites all your friends to the beach for a party you host, then you don’t clean up after your friends and your lame excuse is that it was your friend’s fault not your fault.
You throw the party, you clean up the mess.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Unfortunately, no.

It sounds like you are the type of person that invites all your friends to the beach for a party you host, then you don’t clean up after your friends and your lame excuse is that it was your friend’s fault not your fault.
You throw the party, you clean up the mess.

Pretty lame response...:lol:

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 10:40 AM

Maybe worry about the garbage in San diego before your concern . About a country you dont belong baja boy gets it
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My personal observation has shown that people from the city (Ensenada, etc.) go out to a place on the course, with full bottles of beer, but somehow can't go back to the city with empty bottles? They are tossed all around the desert or high country. Dirty diapers also are left behind. Pretty disgusting and this poor behavior is not the fault of SCORE or any other promoter.
Now, this was several years ago as I haven't been to a Baja race since 2006. Maybe their behavior with trash has improved? I hope so!

Speaking of “personal observations”… My personal observation is that most event promoters usually have a clean up crew to clean up after events. SCORE seems to be the exception in not cleaning up after their events; They don’t clean up the trash left by THEIR spectators and they don’t fix the roads damaged by THEIR events.
The land owners should require SCORE to provide a substantial damage deposit, and only return the damage deposit after the trash is removed and roads are repaired. Deposit could be held by a responsible third party who could do cleanup and repairs if SCORE fails to do cleanup and repair.

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 01:57 PM

I understand why you compare this to an event held in one location, like a stadium or race track.
A point to point off-road race goes for hundreds of miles and usually does not repeat the same road over and over, such as in Indy race does. In other words, this is not held in one location, but along hundreds of miles in the mountains and desert.
People need to learn responsibility and have some pride in their own country. I know self-responsibility is a foreign concept to you. I will try and help!

[Edited on 3-12-2022 by David K]

Don’t be obtuse, DK. If the race promoter is capable of running a point to point race, then the promoter is capable of cleaning up the route of a point to point race, and capable of fixing damage caused by race.
It’s not rocket science or brain surgery. It is picking up trash and blading the road.
If promoter is incapable of cleaning up and repairing road, then the promoter is incompetent. If he won’t pick up trash and repair road simply because he does not want to, then he is just a jerk.
Sounds like a chitty business to run a race and leave damaged roads and trash scattered for hundreds of miles.

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 04:00 PM

Interesting that the people actually leaving the trash on the ground are (to you) blameless.

Sure, the litter bugs are responsible. But ultimately at the end of the day, the race promoter is the one that is expected to be responsible if his customers/spectators don’t do the right thing.

The promoters pick up their litter when they run races north of the border, so why don’t they do so in Mexico?

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2022 at 10:24 PM

Mexican throw trash everyplace race or not . The track is too big what Roger can do is fix the roads ranchers use small part of course.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2022 at 07:03 AM

I was tentatively planning to head out to Mike's on the 3rd, maybe better to hold off a day or two due to race traffic. Have not taken the new detour road around Ensenada to Hwy 3 yet.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2022 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Mexican throw trash everyplace race or not . The track is too big what Roger can do is fix the roads ranchers use small part of course.

They could have post-race sanitation crews follow the race course and retrieve any conspicuous trash. The track is not too big to patrol responsibly. If 250 is too much to handle, it questions their ability to responsibly stage the 1000, doesn't it?.

With GPS and mapping apps, they could tag areas of the course that need repair for a road crew. That doesn't sound too egregious a burden. I would assume SCORE is aware of why racing in the USA has been virtually eliminated from public lands. It only takes a few to ruin things for the many. A proactive position by SCORE could pay big dividends in the future.

Racing on existing dirt roads is pretty benign, but the associated damage/litter may be it's Achille's Heel sooner or later.

John

[Edited on 3-13-2022 by John Harper]
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2022 at 03:18 PM
Baja 250 track trash

How about every responsible person carry a trash bag and pick up some of the litter where they watch the race.
Personal examples go a long way in encouraging others to be responsible.
Just expecting the Race Promoter to actively pick up all the trash is just like expecting the government to take care of everything and then likely b-tch about the idea that taxes need to be paid.

Maybe you could figure out a way to have all spectators pay to watch, then there would be revenue to pay to collect trash

I do think the promoter should pay to repair the roads since it is not possible for individuals to provide repairs.

Ron

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2022 at 03:31 PM

Score pays the landowners for road damage repairs.
The land owners (often ejidos) simply pocket the money or only fix small sections.
Someday this sport will die and it won't be Score's fault.
The first 1000 was 1967 and the people loved it. Off-road racing was born in Baja and maybe it will die there, too?
So many orphans and others have benefitted from the kindness of off road racers and sponsors.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 12:29 PM

Score pays the landowners for road damage repairs.

Wouldn't surprise me if part of the payments by SCORE are also for trash pickup (as part of the road maintenance, etc)... and perhaps unlike the "other" promoters, this may be required for the SCORE events and not the others, etc. None of this would surprise me, and if true - the lack of maintenance and cleanup would not surprise me either (as DK alluded to).

Is there an authoritative source for this info?

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Is there an authoritative source for this info?

Hopefully. I just emailed someone listed as in Marketing at SCORE. I did not see a PR contact listed, maybe that's part of their messaging problem?

"Dear Mr. Ryan,

A debate among some associates has come up regarding road damage and littering during SCORE events, particularly the upcoming San Felipe 250. Can you explain what actions are taken by SCORE regarding the following issues:

Road damage due to race events. How does SCORE address the wear and tear of using public and private roads for races?

Littering by teams and spectators. How does SCORE address the issues of littering and potential hazards (wildfires, road impediments, etc.) during and after your races? Many have seen the after effects of races, with beer bottles, food packaging, diapers, etc. strewn in the desert from spectators.

I realize that this event does not charge for spectators to attend, yet SCORE must feel some responsibility for "collateral" damages near the race course itself. Our group has many opinions, but few facts. Some clarification by a SCORE representative would provide some real insight and help clear up a lot of misinformation. Every little bit helps today.

Most of us have travelled extensively in Baja, live full or part time there, or just have intense feelings for one of the last precious "wilderness" areas left on Earth. We have all seen the degradation of Baja over the years, inevitable, but still lamentable. I'm sure SCORE is well aware of how precious this peninsula is to many people. I'm sure you are a good steward of the land, but the word does not seem to have gotten out. I hope we can help promote your good works!

I look forward to your response to my inquiry.

Sincerely,

John E. Harper
"

We'll see what they say.

John

[Edited on 3-15-2022 by John Harper]
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 03:39 PM

In San Diego they are paying the homeless $2.00 a bag to clean up the camps. Maybe something like that could be done at the 250. Give bags to spectators and give them some money or gift cards when returned full of trash.

[Edited on 3-14-2022 by freediverbrian]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akshadow  
How about every responsible person carry a trash bag and pick up some of the litter where they watch the race. Personal examples go a long way in encouraging others to be responsible.

I sure wish that was true. I've been picking up trash and dog chit bags every day on my morning 5 mile walk for the last five years. I've had many people complement me on my good works. I've yet to see anyone else emulate my good works.

John

[Edited on 3-14-2022 by John Harper]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 07:01 PM

Riding on my bike one road 30 miles to only one house for miles . Yes trash dump from the one house. Its every place here sad to say you wont get anywhere with score. 50 years or more not fixing roads no such thing as Roger PD . For road repair Mexico likes racing more then repair roads or trash. Sadly true but thats how it is. Us on dirt bikes and SXS you cant even tell we been there .
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.