Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rainwater Retention and Use in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 09:24 AM
Rainwater Retention and Use in Baja

We have one final goal yet to be resolved in recovering our limited rainwater on hardened surfaces at our home and storing it for future non-potable use. Site restrictions require a non visible storage system. Anyone come up with a relatively inexpensive manner of burying reservoirs to hold approximately 40,000 liters?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 10:55 AM

https://tecnotanques.com/cisternas-rotoplas-medidas-y-precio...

This is what I have.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 10:59 AM

We use a 1500 gallon and 1000 gallon holding tank at our cabin tract for our water supply (spring fed). They have to be underground, so they aren't crushed when we get 30 plus feet of snow. You need to keep some water in them at all times, so they don't get pushed back above ground.

It was a job, but we hand dug the holes to put the tanks in because of the remote location on a hillside in the National Forest. The tanks are available everywhere in the US and I would think Mexico. Might work for you?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 11:32 AM

Hi Lencho: Yeah, it is a lot to most people. It includes runoff from 300 M2 roofs, additional from driveways and hardened surfaces in the courtyard that we are collecting, prefiltering and so far discharging to ground. Having to keep them somewhat partially filled means we expect half that collected each year, and drawing it down half way or more during dry season.
3 to 4 large linked 10,000 liter Rotoplas tanks (as Chippy suggested, I have only found 15000l low profile tanks available in the US) so far is the best we've come up with, buried and protected with cement surrounds. Tougher self protected tanks are far more expensive but don't require cement surrounds.

[Edited on 3-14-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 11:50 AM

Advrider: Thanks for the response. That does not seem like a whole lot of water storage for household use, so I assume the spring runs pretty much all year? Unfortunately, at our place the rains are very short duration and heavy when it hits for the most part. I have calculated about 50% rainwater retention of 10 cm over 600 m2 and suspect there may be excess of 20000l per year collected.
A lot of guesswork involved here.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 12:54 PM

Yes, spring runs all year. The system feeds 14 cabin and as long as we don't have leaks we never run out. We keep it running all winter with a valve at the end of the line so that the system doesn't freeze. Our spring puts out about 2.5 gallons a minute and down to one at the end of dry years. We are off grid and everyone trys to conserve water, 60 years as still going strong.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Yes, spring runs all year. The system feeds 14 cabin and as long as we don't have leaks we never run out. We keep it running all winter with a valve at the end of the line so that the system doesn't freeze. Our spring puts out about 2.5 gallons a minute and down to one at the end of dry years. We are off grid and everyone trys to conserve water, 60 years as still going strong.

Which leads me to my next question: Have you considered a micro hydro generator system, or is the head and flow too low at the source?

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 02:54 PM

I have thought about it but need to investigate the head pressure. It might be too low but I'm not 100% sure yet. Would be awesome if it would work, I had a friend with one in a creek at his cabin and it worked really good.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 03:36 PM

a one acre garden in Baja (palm trees local shrubs) uses a minimum of 1,000 liters a day
so, rainwater collection will not get you very far.

if you intend to use the rainwater for you house - the average American family uses 300 gal a day (1,100 liters)
even if you cut that in half, rain water collection in Baja will not get you very far.

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
a one acre garden in Baja (palm trees local shrubs) uses a minimum of 1,000 liters a day

if you intend to use the rainwater for you house - the average American family uses 300 gal a day (1,100 liters)
even if you cut that in half, rain water collection in Baja will not get you very far.

Harald: Two of us should use 1/2 that or less when we are there as we won't be drinking any of it, but you are very correct, 40,000 liters of water isn't a whole lot if you are in full time occupancy. Rainwater tho is a whole lot softer than the 300+ ppm from the well that we have supplied to the 10000 liter cistern. Secondary reason to capture rainwater is to try and dilute that closer to 180 ppm and save on heating appliances.

[Edited on 3-15-2022 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Thanks for that estimate Harald. Based on what we intend to plant, I think we can keep our plantings well watered and have enough left over to supplement our storage tanks and still be well within our water usage contract limits without paying excess fees. If I remember right, I think your pool was right around 40,000 liters volume am i close?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 09:06 PM

yup, my pool is 38,000 liters (10,000 gal)
evaporation is 500 liters (125 gal) a day on average

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 09:53 PM

Wow, I never realized a pool would lose that much to evaporation. Crazy. Whatever amount you catch is good, that much less you have to pay to haul in.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 09:59 PM

Water seems to be becoming a more and more precious resource everyplace except here, where we get way more than we want.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2022 at 10:19 PM

my water account allows me 17,000 liters a month for $380 pesos
above that it gets really expensive

trucked in water is $1,000 pesos for 10.000 liters

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2022 at 08:42 AM

Harald, have you considered a pool cover to reduce the evaporation?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2022 at 11:26 AM

Very cheap water compared to what we pay up here, Harald. I'm sure you have looked at conservation anyplace you can tho judging from what I observed at your place. Trucked water will likely be getting far more expensive as fuel costs rise.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2022 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Harald, have you considered a pool cover to reduce the evaporation?

No

the pool is an important joy factor in my life
when warm enough, I use it several times a day
and when not in the water, I enjoy looking at it

a pool cover would destroy that experience

I have considered a pool cover for the winter to reduce heat loss over night
and night use would not effect the vista during the day much

but pool covers are ugly (especially when rolled up) and expensive
so I will add more solar collectors to increase the energy input during the day

0 sunny pool 800.jpg - 185kB

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2022 at 08:56 AM

Nice! Yes, your pool was wonderful to slip into on a hot La Paz afternoon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2022 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Hi Lencho: Yeah, it is a lot to most people. It includes runoff from 300 M2 roofs, additional from driveways and hardened surfaces in the courtyard that we are collecting, prefiltering and so far discharging to ground. Having to keep them somewhat partially filled means we expect half that collected each year, and drawing it down half way or more during dry season.
3 to 4 large linked 10,000 liter Rotoplas tanks (as Chippy suggested, I have only found 15000l low profile tanks available in the US) so far is the best we've come up with, buried and protected with cement surrounds. Tougher self protected tanks are far more expensive but don't require cement surrounds.

Given the collection surface area, how many gallons would be collected per inch of rain?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.