Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tecate PD aka Extortionists up to usual BS
coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 10:01 AM
Tecate PD aka Extortionists up to usual BS

Heads up in TECATE. Police got us at last stop sign leaving Baja 200 yds from USA. After 4 1/2 months in Baja and other police contacts, all mellow, this pendejo on a Honda 50 wanted $200US for failure to stop before limited line(are there any in Mexico??) and unrestrained dog. Got him quickly down to 300P and in an efforts to beat San Diego traffic I just paid him. Had it on video that cop didn't see and wanted to go to police station but wanted more to keep on moving after driving all day from GN. Just assumed it was a Departure Tax/Cop Xmas fund. Beware! FJB

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 10:14 AM

Well, unrestrained dog is a valid infraction. And perhaps you did not stop completely, or stopped after the stop sign. In absence of line, the position of stop sign may be the logical equivalent of painted line…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 10:34 AM

Tecate is the place I've been hassled the most.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 10:42 AM

Sorry for your experience.

Last Sat. afternoon around 3pm or so, I crossed north at Tecate and sounds like fortunately, I was not targeted, and the wait was only 30 minutes. No secondary either.

My faith in crossing at Tecate was again reenforced.

Not that it would make a difference, but I always stop completely at stop signs, and try to drive in a center lane when possible and go slower than the traffic flow. Every car that passes me is a good thing when I am looking out for a cop.

I don't have a dog but know an unleashed dog is another flimsy excuse to get hassled and a sham of a reason to create a payout.

I used to carry dogs all the time decades ago and never restrained them in the vehicle. Always being in a van helped hide that fact.

Pickups, not so much. At least the 300 pesos was all that it cost. $15us. Thanks for posting. These scams need to be publicized every time.

coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 12:04 PM

MTgoat666, thanks for the confidence. The cop didn't even see the 18 lb dog in her bed in the extended cab portion of the truck until he walked up to the window. He was actual SURPRISED to see the sleeping dog cuddled in her bed. As far as stopping did you read the part about the dash cab video, wanna bet about coming to a full stop behind the line? Also the cop had a Mexican pulled over as I went by and he jumped on his Honda turbo charged 50 to extort the haole gringo. LGB
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 04:36 PM

Was it right by the fire station? That guy has been up to that truck for years, had the same thing happen to us. He let us off though.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Was it right by the fire station? That guy has been up to that truck for years, had the same thing happen to us. He let us off though.

He didn't let you off from the goodness of his heart. You said something in your negotiation that created that.

Wanna share what transpired?

Ordinarily, I'd say skip Tecate. I'm a Mexicali East fan now. Mexicali has been written up for scams as well. East entrance avoids the whole town. Only way to go.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 05:02 PM
Coconuts, check the video you have

I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop in La Paz once. It wasn't until he was already holding my driver's license for ransom that I noticed he did not have a badge on his uniform. The motorcycle had no markings, or modifications to make me think it was a police vehicle.

I am pretty sure that the cop that stopped me was just doing a side gig while off duty. My offense was going through a traffic light as it turned yellow, and he had to pass the two cars that followed me through the light before he pulled me over.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 05:26 PM

Hola,

is the sindicatura still in effect ?

when it was, i had the stickers on my car window and on my utility trailer and i stopped at every corner driving very slowly and was never pulled over in tecate.

also, i crossed very early in the morning and many times, i never saw a cop. i guess they sleep in before they start harassing people.

BIEN SALUD,

DA RAT
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

He didn't let you off from the goodness of his heart. You said something in your negotiation that created that.

I don’t know what we would do without all of you seasoned earthlings sharing your wisdom with us not so smart people.
coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 05:31 PM

WestyWander, No it was literally the last left turn before you parallel the border fence to the USA Border Patrol check entry. I could see the check signal to enter the USA. They were trucks lined up getting inspected by agents that could have been USA or Mexican customs with a Belgian Sheppard Police dog sniffing everything. I really thought no problem cuz the Tecate cop had his back to us and was busy with another car with a Mexican man but the cop saw us as we passed him and literally ran to his Super Turbo Charge Honda 50 and got me.

AK Gringo, He had a badge and the motorcycle was well marked. The Dash Cam is facing forward and it only shows the cop as I passed and me stopping at the Stop sign, A deliberate full stop cuz I saw the cop. If I didn't want to get thru San Diego before traffic I would have done the go to the Police station thing

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
WestyWander, No it was literally the last left turn before you parallel the border fence to the USA Border Patrol check entry. I could see the check signal to enter the USA. They were trucks lined up getting inspected by agents that could have been USA or Mexican customs with a Belgian Sheppard Police dog sniffing everything. I really thought no problem cuz the Tecate cop had his back to us and was busy with another car with a Mexican man but the cop saw us as we passed him and literally ran to his Super Turbo Charge Honda 50 and got me.

Maybe if I read a little closer I would have seen this in your original post :lol:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 07:50 PM

I don’t know what we would do without all of you seasoned earthlings sharing your wisdom with us not so smart people.

Wow a little sarcasm to distract from my question. Looking more like BS to me. Got more honest stories for us?

Hey Coco. It's always been heads up in Tecate, and Ciudad, LaPaz, TJ. Avoid Tecate.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 07:58 PM

It is so funny that you red meat Americans venerate cops in usa, say they can do no wrong, and vehemently reject criticism of usa cops…

…and then y’all assume Mexican cops are crooks until proven otherwise.

Perhaps the gringo experience in Mexico is analogous to the black/brown experience in USA, eh?

Driving while black is similar to driving while gringo :light:

[Edited on 3-19-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 08:38 PM

I don't know what I am doing right but I have crossed many dozens of times at Tecate over 45 or so years with never a problem. Crossed northbound Tuesday at 12:30pm, had only two cars ahead of me at the gate and was across in 5 minutes. Fastest crossing in the past 20 years. I wish I knew what I am doing right so I could pass on that info. I have been traveling Hwy 1 regularly since 1974 with never a ticket or mordida and have had only the most minor problems with military checkpoints. This trip the checkpoints were a quick wave through going south and the most casual inspections going north.

I'm not blaming the victim here just pointing out that my Tecate experience over the years has been completely different.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
I don't know what I am doing right but I have crossed many dozens of times at Tecate over 45 or so years with never a problem. Crossed northbound Tuesday at 12:30pm, had only two cars ahead of me at the gate and was across in 5 minutes. Fastest crossing in the past 20 years. I wish I knew what I am doing right so I could pass on that info. I have been traveling Hwy 1 regularly since 1974 with never a ticket or mordida and have had only the most minor problems with military checkpoints. This trip the checkpoints were a quick wave through going south and the most casual inspections going north.

I'm not blaming the victim here just pointing out that my Tecate experience over the years has been completely different.

Some people are prey.
Some people are chit magnets.
Some people are forever the victim.

I got pulled over once in Mexico, and I admit I was in the wrong.

Some people get pulled over frequently, and always think they are the victims. Some people are just chitty drivers.

Woke!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
It is so funny that you red meat Americans venerate cops in usa, say they can do no wrong, and vehemently reject criticism of usa cops…

…and then y’all assume Mexican cops are crooks until proven otherwise.

Perhaps the gringo experience in Mexico is analogous to the black/brown experience in USA, eh?

Driving while black is similar to driving while gringo :light:

[Edited on 3-19-2022 by mtgoat666]

Good analogy
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2022 at 09:22 PM

Wow a little sarcasm to distract from my question. Looking more like BS to me. Got more honest stories for us?

Hey Coco. It's always been heads up in Tecate, and Ciudad, LaPaz, TJ. Avoid Tecate.

We were driving our old motorhome, stopped at the stop sign at the fire station to let a pedestrian cross the street. Waited for the person to cross (they walked towards us) and continued on our way. Cop tried to say that we drove forward before the person was out of the street which was impossible without running over the person. We chatted about the situation, where we were headed, and what we did for work back in the states. He wanted money, we said we’ll head to the station and pay, he let us go with a warning as a professional courtesy.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2022 at 06:04 AM

I drive slower than the locals in town and wait a full three seconds at every Alto. So far I have been lucky.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2022 at 07:58 AM

While in Baja, I stop,-- wait two beats and go. Only time I had a problem was in Ciudad Constitution way back, when the stop sign was about 25 feet in the air. I missed it. Cost me about 100 pesos on the spot. But that was a long time ago.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.