Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Broke down in San Ignacio - need auto part delivered
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 12:00 PM
Broke down in San Ignacio - need auto part delivered

After decades of traveling to Baja in Landcruisers and Tacomas, this time I came down in a 2006 Sprinter van. Evidently this can problematic down here!
Anyhow, I am comfortably (in a safe place with everything I need) broken down here in San Ignacio, trying to sort out an intermittent electrical starting problem. I want to get the van back safely across the border sooner than later, and there's a good chance I will need a part that is not available down here (yes I know there is a MB dealer in La Paz). So I'm putting out the word to my fellow Nomads - if anyone here is either driving thru central Baja or flying to Loreto in the next few days to week and would be willing to bring a part (small fuse block) down, please get back to me here, or by U2U. Gracias!!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 12:31 PM

tell us exactly which part you need
large Sprinter community in La Ventana and Los Barriles
someone might have it

MB dealers in Los Cabos and La Paz usually don't have parts
everything is ordered and takes a long time
I waited 3 months once - and they sent the wrong part

Harald Pietschmann
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 12:41 PM

Thanks. I believe the part I need is fuse block#1 - located below steering column - for a 2006 Freightliner Sprinter 2500. Still attempting to determine that this is what i need - I've got a few Sprinter friends currently trying to decipher my symptoms. I'll post a part# if/when I have one. It looks like part is about $150 new - surprising cheap for what it does?
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 01:07 PM

Part Number: 30465-05824642 Fuse box w/fuses
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 01:09 PM

Is Baja Pac a option ? ABC brings me parts when I have no other way
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 02:35 PM

I’m in Bahía Asunción now, will leave for La Paz this Wednesday. It’s probably a long shot, but I could stop in at the big refracciones auto shop/store in Vizcaino. If you’re certain of the part number it won’t hurt to ask! U2U me with your name, contact information, where currently located and I’ll see what I can do Wednesday morning on my way south. Suerte.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2022 at 03:20 PM

Are there current sensors or electronic control components inside the fuse box? If not and it's just a simple fuse block you should be able to bypass any circuits or even the whole box using readily available parts from AutoZone.

Not elegant but a way to get home. If OTOH it is a Power Distribution Module, that's a bit more difficult.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 08:27 AM

The Sprinter Source forum site is invaluable, especially with its members generosity in helping to answer everything Sprinter van related whenever asked.

Good luck getting the parts you need. There is lots to learn about Sprinters and their owners avoiding the dealerships when possible.

A great resource in the San Diego area for parts and service is the Sprinter Pitstop off of Miramar Rd. Using genuine factory parts is their norm. You can count on them to be treated fair.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 09:08 AM

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. And yes the Sprinter-Source forum is invaluable - going to do some sleuthing today with a multimeter, hopefully will find some joy!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 11:50 AM

I bet they can fed ex the part to you. It may cost a bundle but it can be done!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 12:43 PM

Two things I would recommend.

One-find the location of every engine block ground that is on the block itself. Remove all wires, wire brush them clean, wire brush the block surface where they attach and re-attach. Do the same for the ground lead to the battery. This is especially important if the valve covers have been leaking oil down the sides of the block to where the engine grounds are.

Two-disconnect each and every ECM (engine control module) multipin connector from the ECMs (my 2005 Wrangler has four), spray the pins with electrical contact cleaner and re-attach, making sure they are well seated. ECMs are usually mounted on the firewall between the engine compartment and the cab of the vehicle.

These ECM connectors will probably have the common Chrysler locking mechanisms where you slide a red tab from one position to the next, then depress the release and pull on the connector. Be sure to re-attach, including sliding the red locking tabs back into place.

My 2005 Jeep began to start throwing OBD codes over a months timespan (oil pressure sender) and the speedometer began failing which also rendered the cruise control inoperative. The most likely fix for the speedo was the VSS (velocity speed sensor) but replacing that inexpensive part did not fix the speedo/CC. But these ailments happened closely enough in time that I began to wonder if something was impeding the electrical signal to these sensors. So I performed the tasks I recommended above and it/they fixed both problems. Not sure which task fixed it but from trouble shooting boat electrical problems, I always start with checking grounds.

Has anyone put an OBD II reader on it yet? Or, have you tried turning the key off and on (not turning the engine over, just on and off) in rapid succession? Many Chrysler products of that era would display the trouble code where the electronic odometer displays mileage, after doing that.

OBD codes can be VERY specific about the problem, sometimes. My Jeep started running really rough and the codes indicated the SPECIFIC fuel injector that had failed. I replaced them all since the engine has over 100k on it, and it fixed the problem.

A good OBD reader might tell you exactly what is going on. Is an engine warning light or check engine light staying on?

[Edited on 3-28-2022 by Hook]
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2022 at 07:37 PM

Thanks all. I found the part at Carlsbad MB and a Nomad has reached out and will be delivering the part on Friday. Hopefully it will do the trick. In the meantime I am still troubleshooting/testing electrical components - the van will run great, just need to get past the starting issue. Meanwhile I’ll enjoy where I am.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-29-2022 at 09:18 AM

Before your delivery guy leaves the States, take us through your logic in deciding that it was this fuse block. Did a trouble code indicate this?

Is the vehicle turning over but not starting or is it not even turning over? Does it only occur when it the engine is hot, is shut off, and then it won't start?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2022 at 09:50 AM

I have a 2015 Silverado HD.

For the last 6 months every once in a blue moon I turn the key and the starter just sort of clicks but doesn't crank. Turn it again and it is fine.

Had some work don't on the diesel exhaust system about a week ago.

Using just my description, the mechanic said the most likely problem is the chip in the key is failing. Yet to be confirmed, so we'll see.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2022 at 10:27 AM

"Meanwhile I’ll enjoy where I am".

In the early 80's my transmission went out in La Paz. Over the next couple of weeks waiting for parts and repairs to get done I walked all over town. Got to know the town and it's neighborhoods quite well. This was when nobody locked their doors and front porches were filled every evening. Super friendly and inviting Pacenos, was the norm, often sharing food and drink in their homes.
A lasting impression and fond memories of the city.

"Wherever you go, there you are"
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2022 at 12:15 PM

What about ordering the part NOB? Those main MB dealers do have most parts in stock. But look for a dealer which has Sprinters for sale. Shipping to MX should not be a problem. Mailboxes etc. is pretty fast in shipping to MX. Just an idea.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-30-2022 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
"Meanwhile I’ll enjoy where I am".

In the early 80's my transmission went out in La Paz. Over the next couple of weeks waiting for parts and repairs to get done I walked all over town. Got to know the town and it's neighborhoods quite well. This was when nobody locked their doors and front porches were filled every evening. Super friendly and inviting Pacenos, was the norm, often sharing food and drink in their homes.
A lasting impression and fond memories of the city.

"Wherever you go, there you are"

man, I remember that old La Paz
now it is Cabo on steroids

sure, everything changes - but I am stunned how fast it went downhill

LA PAZ QUE SE PERDIO

Harald Pietschmann

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.