Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Mission Santa María 2022
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The show is 21 minutes, commercial free (not counting the plug for my book at the very end)! ;)

https://vimeo.com/487608164

Funny how all the cars in Cataviña are simultaneously driving backwards at 2:17 in the video :biggrin:

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
The show is 21 minutes, commercial free (not counting the plug for my book at the very end)! ;)

https://vimeo.com/487608164

Funny how all the cars in Cataviña are simultaneously driving backwards at 2:17 in the video :biggrin:

LOL... easy to explain: In Baja, you travel back in time! LOL :lol: Good eye, geoffff!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by larryC  

Depends on what you drive and how fast you go. I made it in to the mission in about 2 hours. Coming out was a little longer 3.5 to 4 hours. Rougher coming out than going in.

what did you drive/ride?

I was driving a 2020 Polaris rzr xp4 1000. I has 32" tires and for the most part was fine but some of the steep spots were rough enough that it would have been nice to use a lower gear than what the rzr is equipped with to come up out of some of the arroyos. Smaller tires would also have helped.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 08:18 AM

I was driving a 2020 Polaris rzr xp4 1000. I has 32" tires and for the most part was fine but some of the steep spots were rough enough that it would have been nice to use a lower gear than what the rzr is equipped with to come up out of some of the arroyos. Smaller tires would also have helped.

any video/images?

Harald Pietschmann
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 12:14 PM

No video's. I'm usually traveling alone and don't have time for that stuff. DK's pictures are pretty good.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 12:52 PM

HAAA yes Larry broken rubber bands from polaris we see. On main routes never will I understand good machine . With rubber band weak link
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
DK's pictures are pretty good.
True. But are there enough of them? :(

You see, that is a good question!
How do I know what is interesting to the viewing Nomads?
Sure, not everyone hear is nutzo about the missions or seeing 254-year-old adobe walls (what's left of them). So, I mix in history photos with 4x4 road photos with landscape photos... and you can look at what interests you, if any of them.
Some like to read about Nomad adventures, so I write a little detail.
When I write an article for Baja Bound's monthly bulletin, I will have more details but fewer photos (only around 4)!
It's all about giving... and if you don't want what I give, you can just not look! Isn't freedom wonderful?

Today, I began building a web page for this trip. Fewer photos than the Nomad post but a few from another member of our little group, who is not a Nomad... like this one, from Debbie:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 06:04 PM

The more pictures the better David anything off road cool:D
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 07:47 PM

A lot of pictures is great....unless of course you have a slow connection that completely chokes up trying to download them!

It doesn't happen often, but there have been a few Wi-Fi spots that I wish I had the option of viewing 'Text only'.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A lot of pictures is great....unless of course you have a slow connection that completely chokes up trying to download them!

It doesn't happen often, but there have been a few Wi-Fi spots that I wish I had the option of viewing 'Text only'.

Yes, indeed! I think it was my 2012 big Baja peninsula trip that I did a text only post along with the typical, photo-filled one.

This trip from last week has very little text, but I am happy to make anything that helps the Baja Nomad viewer! A web page for this trip is under construction.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 10:34 AM

more pictures?
yes - if they show different locations
5 shots of the same scene?
please don't!

and please - more quality pictures
good light
sharp

David's pictures made me go to the eye doctor
I thought, my eyes were going bad
still 20/20 he said

some phones have questionable image quality
an automatic enhancement app does wonders

pictures are like text
you edit them before you publish them

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 11:40 AM

Indeed, please don't go blind looking at my photos!
The web page will have fewer images.
Good or bad, they are photos of Baja. Take it or leave it.
I for one would rather see bad photos of Baja than posts that complain or criticize others. I think I may not be alone with that preference.
Have a nice day, Harald.

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 12:10 PM

Bless your heart. :biggrin:

I like beer, better than most people.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Have a nice day, Harald.
Translation from Kaliforniaspeak to Standard American English:
"Screw you, Harald." :lol:

(Don't shoot the translator).

[Edited on 4-7-2022 by lencho]

it is the usual answer of hurt and angry people

there was a California company years ago with a good advertising slogan
"Good enough isn't!"

we can learn here about Baja history, locations, culture
but we can also learn how to present better images
JZ comes to mind (sorry for not remembering the other ones)

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 12:43 PM

I got good advice from a media pro before I attempted to get published
select 5 of your best pictures - no matter if you have 50 or 5,000
don't submit a written script
sit down with the editor show your pics and pitch an idea (with an alternative, so he can chose)
Got the job with the first meeting

I know editing is painful if all your many pictures mean so much to you
but you have to capture your audience with a few "wow!" images
ad the vitals of when, where, why, who, what

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 01:00 PM

Ansel adams said 12 good pictures per year was a good output.
Digital allows people to spray and pray… you use your shutter button like a machine gun and pray you get one good photo per day.
99.9% of everyones photos are junk, use that as a rule of thumb for editing.
Better yet, hand your phone to someone artistic and let them pick one best photo off your phone… it is likely you only got a couple worthwhile photos on your phone, the rest are junk or only memorable to yourself as a reminder if something.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
more pictures?
yes - if they show different locations
5 shots of the same scene?
please don't!

and please - more quality pictures
good light
sharp

David's pictures made me go to the eye doctor
I thought, my eyes were going bad
still 20/20 he said

some phones have questionable image quality
an automatic enhancement app does wonders

pictures are like text
you edit them before you publish them

Perhaps the best pics are shot out of the car window, no need to stop the car or move around and compose the pic - bonus points when shot thru a dirty window!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 01:20 PM

The picture or pictures are in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like a lot of pictures don't look at em, if you do look at all of them.

Me I don't give a rats a$$ how many pictures are taken. If I don't care to look at all of them I won't.

Later in life when you are reminiscing about a place you've been a lot of pictures may be a gift from the gods.

Not everyone sees a red rose thru a blue filter.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 04:09 PM

I don't mind DK's photos, they show enthusiasm for the adventure. At least he's been to Baja lately and showing us what we're missing. I don't think DK has ever claimed to be another Ansel Adams, nor a professional photographer. He's just a traveler on a journey with a story to share. Good job, DK.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The picture or pictures are in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like a lot of pictures don't look at em, if you do look at all of them.

Me I don't give a rats a$$ how many pictures are taken. If I don't care to look at all of them I won't.

Later in life when you are reminiscing about a place you've been a lot of pictures may be a gift from the gods.

Not everyone sees a red rose thru a blue filter.

Amen, Brother Tom.

Instead of posting their photos, they criticize mine. I don't understand the happiness they get in doing so or the lack of guilt they feel by not having anything to show from their trips.

Harald is a friend and my 'flip' answer was not meant to be rude as it was just my best in the way Harald understands. Germans are tough and he knows I dig everything he does.

I guess for the crybabies, I should have specified better in the beginning of this thread that I was sharing ALL or nearly all of my photos... and from them I will select ones that best show the trip in the web page I am making right now. It would be swell if you asked more questions... but maybe my photos answered them all? A picture is worth a thousand words, they say.

Yes, I would love an easy photo enhancer to use... Got a link for me? Photobucket used to have one and I used it a lot. Well that site went to hell and the new one, Postimages.org does not have photo enhancing.

If there is a site that will improve the photos on my page or my machine, please let me know what you found that works best.

The web page still has a lot of photos but fewer than on Nomad and most have captions plus I added maps. I do what I do thinking of the armchair explorer or true off-road adventure seeker. The quest of others for knowledge and adventure is what drives me to help them.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.