Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: looking for a new camp spot on the pacific coast
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2022 at 11:45 AM
looking for a new camp spot on the pacific coast

I'm down in Baja (about to head to Bahia Concepcion to camp a couple nights) and thinking about how to use my last 8 or so days before we hit the Tecate crossing and head home (ug).

We are thinking about how we've really neglected the Pacific Coast, especially up north.

Two areas that have piqued our interest:
1) I saw a video once of a beach backed by tall cliffs that was deacribed as ~90 miles north of Colonet. Does anyone know what that might be? Maybe some GPS coordinates?

2) The failed escalera nautica project at Rosalillita. Maybe it is a morbid fascination woth development chit shows or maybe it is just convenient to also let us hit BOLA and hwy 5 north but i am wondering if there's any good pacific camping there.

Any info on these spots or other recommemdations?

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-31-2022 at 12:28 PM

You should drive in to Santa Rosalillita then take the good coast road north, checking each Bay or point as you go. See what appeals to you. The good road ends at Punta Cono.
I have photos and notes in my Trip #4 report, driving south from Puerto Santa Catalina.

Here is further north:

[Edited on 4-1-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2022 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

Two areas that have piqued our interest:
1) ...I saw a video once of a beach backed by tall cliffs that was deacribed as ~90 miles north of Colonet. Does anyone know what that might be? Maybe some GPS coordinates?...
...Any info on these spots or other recommemdations?

The description of "90 miles north of Colonet" does not seem to make sense. 90 air miles NNW is approximately at La Mision, north of Ensenada. Yes, there is camping that area, but heavily populated with tourists and locals.
90 road miles may be closer to Ensenada, perhaps the Punta Banda area (home of La Bufadora tourist attraction). There are developed campgrounds on the north side of Punta Banda, on the bay.

Back in the 1980s, I used to camp at San Antonio del Mar, a few miles west of Colonet. Lovely beaches there, extending northward a couple miles. There is 4WD access southward, along miles of beach below the 300' cliffs of Cabo Colonet. No idea of the current status.

Further north on the coast is Ejido Erendira, west of San Vicente on highway 1. The secluded coves a few miles south from Erendira were my favorite destination in the 1970s - 80s. I guided backpacking groups from San Antonio del Mar to that area. No other people during 2-3 days of hiking! No idea about the current status.

Erendira became popular once the road was paved. I understand that there are numerous campgrounds there and along the coast going north a few miles. Coyote Cals is a well known destination. https://www.coyotecals.com/

Boca de Santo Tomas is a long drive in from Highway 1 at Santo Tomas, and may be worth checking out.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2022 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You should drive in to Santa Rosalillita then take the good coast road north, checking each Bay or point as you go. See what appeals to you. The good road ends at Punta Cono.

I vote for this. Many good bays, each better than the last. Remote and secluded. You might see a couple surfers. Even the road back to the highway north of Cataviña is pretty scenic.

Both these photos are looking south.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 08:57 AM

Any info on these spots or other recommemdations?

Maderita is correct - 90 miles north of Colonet places you north of Ensenada and I don't think that is what you are looking for. There are some areas north and south of Erendira that are good spots - not sure if that was what you were referring to.

Another suggestion would be to take the road west from the military base in Lazaro Card##as, just south of San Quintin that leads around the bay and out to La Chorera. There are many great camping locations out here - I can give you coordinates where you won't likely see anyone else to others that are still fairly remote but yet within a five minute drive of a great little off-grid seafood village.

There's some great surf fishing using just the mussels off the rocks as bait and clams are pretty easy to find as well.

https://talkbaja.com/la-chorera-bajas-newest-seafood-mecca/

la chorera beachfront 4.jpg - 119kB

Map to La Chorera.jpg - 134kB

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2022 at 07:49 PM

Run the 7 sisters coastal route. Lots of great camping areas and some of the best surf fishing in Baja. Cool or cold nights and warm days. Just what the Dr ordered. Bring your wife, girl friend or dog they'll love it, bring all 3 if you want.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 07:59 AM

Camp Rene; stretch between LaBocana and Bahia Asuncion; Laguna Manuela; Punta Baja and a few miles south of there.
thebeckster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 08:37 AM
Camping on the pacific side

Stay away from La Aguja. They are are not user friendly:o:(
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 08:54 AM
WideAngleWandering

Check your U2U inbox.

[Edited on 4-2-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebeckster  

Good advice for the uninvited!

Playas Pacificas (at La Aguja) is a housing development, owned by a Baja Nomad husband and wife. They are very friendly to invited guests and have a guest house near the big sand beach where they have hosted Mike Younghusband during his walk to Cabo with 'Don Kay' the burro (2011). I was also a guest there for two nights during my Baja Bound mapping trips of 2017.

Uninvited guests onto their property are obviously not welcome. It is a private home area and they are watching out for the home owners, who may not be there. www.playaspacificas.com

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebeckster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 09:33 AM
Beach

I was talking about the beach. Not an invasion of their development! They were probably most congenial to anyone willing to promote them for free!:lol:
thebeckster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 09:46 AM

My U2U box is empty.?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2022 at 03:15 PM

I was talking about the beach. Not an invasion of their development! They were probably most congenial to anyone willing to promote them for free!:lol:

Oh, probably! :rolleyes:

Hundreds of miles of empty beach are on both sides of their area. So, they might have wondered why you where on their section of coastline?

Just be nice to people and ask... they may be nice back at you?

Show them your Baja Nomad ID card, next time! :light::yes:;D

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 11:37 AM

Maybe they meant (or I misremembered) 90 km north of Colonet? If i can find the video / travelogue I will post a link.

Thanks for tue great suggestions all.

I have been sidetracked to meet a friend over in BOLA (who didn't show? WTH) so I am bookmarking these ideas for my planned July trip.

Last word from my amigo he was leaving San Diego for Las Animas and then to meet me here in BOLA. If he doesnt show i may spend my remaining days hunting for him in the sierra nearby.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 01:02 PM

Maybe they meant (or I misremembered) 90 km north of Colonet? ...

That is likely. 90 km by road could be driving to Ejido Eréndira on the coast, then following dirt roads northward toward Punta Cabras. Lovely coastline, mild climate. Often in a marine layer into July, hence the fog desert flora. Chilly ocean temperatures along that coast (south of Punta Banda/Ensenada).

90 km is also approximately the driving distance for Boca Santo Tomás.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 09:16 PM

That sounds fantastic. I guess i really have been giving the pacific coast up north the short end. I will have to spend some time up there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Maybe they meant (or I misremembered) 90 km north of Colonet? ...

That is likely. 90 km by road could be driving to Ejido Eréndira on the coast, then following dirt roads northward toward Punta Cabras. Lovely coastline, mild climate. Often in a marine layer into July, hence the fog desert flora. Chilly ocean temperatures along that coast (south of Punta Banda/Ensenada).

90 km is also approximately the driving distance for Boca Santo Tomás.

La Bocana (Boca de Santo Tomás) in October 2017:

Great road, going back to Hwy. 1.

It is 17 miles from Km. 47 at Hwy. 1 to La Bocana:

[Edited on 4-7-2022 by David K]

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 08:29 AM

Apologies for subjectimg y'all to an "overlanding" video but this is the spot that caught my eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NajwPZAznr8&t=18m45s

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 11:10 AM

Tough to beat the privacy of your chosen camping spot. depending as always on mother nature and her tide swings. haha

Great to see a surfboard making use of the swell at the time.

That cooking pot? Was that a Moroccan style Tangene, sp?

Being able to see what this site is most appreciated by everyone without going political, is even more appreciated in these contentious times.

Keep them coming. Drown out the noise of alternative facts.

While Pura Vida is mostly associated with Costa Rica, I apply the same emotion for Baja. Peace and Love, and some fish tacos thrown in.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2022 at 06:33 PM

Wow, great spots folks. So many places I haven't considered before. I'm planning a quick August run down to Guerrero Negro and up to San Felipe to try and organize some fabrication work for my 4x4. I have a bit of free time along the way and am considering San Pedro Martir or one of these coastal spots.

Quote:

Apologies for subjectimg y'all to an "overlanding" video but this is the spot that caught my eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NajwPZAznr8&t=18m45s

Listening more carefully, at around 19:30 they say they are on a beach northwest of Punta Colonet. They also mentioned the road to the beach was on the 2020 Baja 1000 route. Thoughts?

Quote:
That cooking pot? Was that a Moroccan style Tangene, sp?

I think it's a similar idea but it has clamps so it can hold higher pressure than a tagine. They call it an Afghan Pressure Cooker on their site: https://www.mengrills.com/store

Marco gives his recipe for campside birria here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8XAusbVkno

Where is this place? (so I can avoid the prospect of awkward conversations between gringos about Mexican property law). :rolleyes:

[Edited on 2022-7-14 by WideAngleWandering]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.