Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Starlink in Baja
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 10:45 AM
Starlink in Baja

Are there any reports of people using Starlink in Baja ?

I was watching the San Felipe 250 and Fishgistics was using it in San Felipe to broadcast live on track race action.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with it.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 11:12 AM

I ordered it when first available and it was recently shipped via DHL. First issue was that it has to ship to a MX address. Found someone in town that would accept delivery for me. Then DHL shows up and wants $5000 pesos for "additional tax fee". Starlink is a registered MX company and my invoice shows the IVA tax was included and paid. Receiver didn't have the cash so package scheduled for redelivery in another week.

Meanwhile I try and contact Starlink which you can only do through the website support page. Tell receiver not to pay DHL. Takes SL a week to get back to mean saying they will contact DHL to remove fee or I can return for full refund, what do I want to do? At this point I feel I've over-imposed on the receiver and I'm not in Baja to get him the $ for DHL. So I choose refund. In the meantime I tell receiver to refuse delivery. SL support responds they will redirect pkg back to them. As of April 1 DHL still shows pending delivery.

In the meantime I signed up for a new account on Starlink with a US address and reordered. Ordered March 27 and tracking shows expected delivery today or tomorrow. So will try it and see how it works but other reports say it's fine.

So LSS, This has turned into a giant cluster flock. It's impossible to deal with starlink by any other method then their support page and expect a one week response time. DHL delivery service is terrible (I have stronger words for it).

YMMV
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-3-2022 at 11:31 AM
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 11:33 AM

google Starlink for RV

works in Baja

just talked to someone camping at Punta La Gringa with phone and internet

it's happening

immediately put in my La Paz address
yes, coming this year!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158963197486194&am...

[Edited on 4-3-2022 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Then DHL shows up and wants $5000 pesos for "additional tax fee".

Did you get the exact term they used for that tax? Only thing that occurs to me is import duty (aranceles/impuestos de importación), which might be possible in spite of it being a registered Mexican company.

I know Amazon.mx charges import duty on some items and not others; I suppose it has to do with whether they've already bulk imported them for stocking their Mexican warehouses or whether it's custom imported for this customer's specific order.

Relayed to me as "Tax Fee". Starlink in their reply to me told me there should not be any additional fee other than what was itemized on my invoice. Equipment, shipping and IVA. And $5000 pesos would be close to 50% duty.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 12:43 PM

I ordered mine in February of 2021. At first, we were told we'd have it by the end of the year. Now it's supposed to arrive this year. It appears that Starlink is only covering Baja so far. But we're close.

Interesting about the Mexican address. I have my shipping address to Imperial Beach. We'll see. You do need a Curp, though, for payment...at least on my account.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 01:54 PM

It's impossible to deal with starlink by any other method then their support page and expect a one week response time.

Don’t you love dealing with vendors that have a customer service business model that tries to minimize costs by not speaking to customers or providing a tele number for customers to talk to a real person one on one?
Starlink purports to provide an Internet connection for customers to communicate with the world,… but starlink really does does not want to communicate with customers!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 02:26 PM

Ordered one last summer. Can't wait.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 07:33 AM

I received mine in rural Washington a week before I headed to Todos for this trip. Didn't even think to pack it with me in the truck because wasn't thinking it was active here. Next time.

At home, it's very fast to the router (200+), but the wi fi signal throughout the house seems weak (like 9 about 30 feet away in the living room through a couple interior walls) so I need to beef up the interior distribution.

Note that if your house is ethernet wired, the kit out of the box does not accomodate that (no ethernet port in the gen 2 kit shipping now). You have to buy the SL proprietary enternet adapter seperately, which has its own lead time. If it ships on time, it will have taken about a month.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I received mine in rural Washington a week before I headed to Todos for this trip. Didn't even think to pack it with me in the truck because wasn't thinking it was active here. Next time.

At home, it's very fast to the router (200+), but the wi fi signal throughout the house seems weak (like 9 about 30 feet away in the living room through a couple interior walls) so I need to beef up the interior distribution.

Note that if your house is ethernet wired, the kit out of the box does not accomodate that (no ethernet port in the gen 2 kit shipping now). You have to buy the SL proprietary enternet adapter seperately, which has its own lead time. If it ships on time, it will have taken about a month.

The ethernet adapter wasn't available for purchase to my Mexican account/ address. For my US address it was available to order at same time as the dish. Mine is scheduled to ship end of April.
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 10:07 AM

I was wondering if it would work in Baja Sur, Todos y Pescadero area

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 11:05 AM

The ethernet adapter wasn't available for purchase to my Mexican account/ address. For my US address it was available to order at same time as the dish. Mine is scheduled to ship end of April.

so with the rather weak wifi signal im thinking sharing this pretty pricey connection with a neighbor might not work...for the neighbor anyway?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 12:56 PM

Yeah, repeating the wifi is not a problem. And you can extend it over to your neighbor's house as far as I know.

I'm talking about hard wiring from the Starlink router to my devices. The first gen beta starlink routers had an ethernet port that you could connect to your wired network. These second gen ones do not, so you have to buy their eithernet adaptor.
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 01:55 PM

Oh I see. Wifi from the SL router into my wired home network. That seems doable, but I don't currently have that hardware, the SL adapter is only $25, and it'll be there when I get home from this trip.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

so with the rather weak wifi signal im thinking sharing this pretty pricey connection with a neighbor might not work...for the neighbor anyway?

There is some relatively inexpensive (>$100) ways to share an ethernet connection up to 5km. Not quite plug-n-play but not difficult to set up if you have a bit of network knowledge. The easiest way would be to add a good outdoor access point. TP-Link EAP225 outdoor Need a wired ethernet router to make the most of these options

[Edited on 4-4-2022 by mjs]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 02:30 PM

looking at their map site, https://starlink.sx/ it appears to cover all the way to CSL.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2022 at 04:37 PM

Oh I see. Wifi from the SL router into my wired home network. That seems doable, but I don't currently have that hardware, the SL adapter is only $25, and it'll be there when I get home from this trip.

For $25 delivered you can't go wrong.

John
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 12:01 PM

We're 20 months to retirement and are hoping the portable StarLink system will be available (to use in RV & Baja House, maybe US home too) and easy to use. Mostly for keeping in touch with family and streaming Netflix/Prime/Hulu, etc.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

For $25 delivered you can't go wrong.

Agreed. And being a direct connection, it will be faster. :light:

As long as you don't mind looking up at well over fifteen thousand low orbiting satellites in what were once clear skies over Baja.

https://talkbaja.com/battle-of-the-titans-over-global-satell...

Space Junk in skies over Baja Mexico Coming Soon.jpg - 120kB

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 12:42 PM

I've heard of several people pre ordering Starlink in BCS but no one I know of has received it yet. We are stuck for now with slower Hughesnet but looking forward to an alternative.

Worst problem with Hughesnet Mexico is trying to pay the monthly bill from up here in Canada.
So far we needed to have a friend go in every month and pay the bill at OXXO as they don't accept our Canadian Visa or Mastercard for online payments. Anyone found a way around this?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 03:46 PM

I just got an email saying we're approved. So it looks like Baja Sur will be opening up very soon. Now it's sit around and wait.

FYI....the CURP was optional but I did have to ship it to a Mexico address. Should be fun to see how long it takes to get to us.

Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.