Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: PCT 2022
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 08:56 AM

I'm going to be up at Horseshoe Meadows on June 5. If you are back on trail and need anything I can bring it up the hill to you, or even give you a lift down to Lone Pine.

John
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 10:12 AM

If it's like my knee then you probably have damaged your meniscus. This is likely due to not strengthening it with exercises prior to starting the journey. But who knows. It may be a combination of carrying too much weight, age, and uneven ground. If this doesn't require surgery I would rest this knee for many weeks and build the strength up after it heals. Resuming the hike will damage the meniscus further and make the issue bigger. It will be interesting to see the results of the MRI.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2022 at 11:33 PM

Update: thanks to everyone that followed along and offer help, comments and words of encouragement. After my week in Tehachapi trying to recover, I finally admitted to myself that the problem wasn't minor. After making the trip home and seeing the doctor I found that I have a compression fracture halfway across my left tibia, just below the knee.
So no more hiking this year or next to allow things to heel. I made it 452 miles to the town of Agua Dolce, so I will be picking up in 2024 to finish what I started!

[Edited on 5-27-2022 by advrider]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2022 at 06:59 AM

Glad you found the problem and you're on the road to healing. The trail will always be there, so don't rush the recovery.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-27-2022 at 08:13 AM

Bones heal better than cartilage, or the ligaments and tendons that are attached to them, so it could have been worse. Good luck with the healing process!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-27-2022 at 01:02 PM

Bravo as to how far you got. Speedy recovery we wish you
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-28-2022 at 06:23 AM

Indeed... congratulations on doing all that you did and heal well my friend!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2022 at 08:15 AM

Here's to a speedy recovery and another go at it. Bones recover completely and therefore this is good news.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 04:31 PM

Was reading this with "YEAH, GO! mindset and I got to the end and I was so sad.

Quite the adventure you had, I truly hope you can continue on it some day :(

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 09:00 PM

Thanks. I start April 1st (2023) at mile 455 where I left off. Hoping to knock out another 800-1000 miles for 2023. Keep me posted if you plan any more Baja stuff.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Thanks. I start April 1st (2023) at mile 455 where I left off. Hoping to knock out another 800-1000 miles for 2023. Keep me posted if you plan any more Baja stuff.

Hard to tell with our wacky weather last decade or so but isn't April a little early to start that far north?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  

Hard to tell with our wacky weather last decade or so but isn't April a little early to start that far north?

The Pacific Crest Trail passes through Sugar Bowl Ski area on Donner Summit. In 2011 they still had enough snow left to open up for a 4th of July ski day! (I got the T-shirt to prove it!)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 07:42 AM

I'm going to hike from Agua Dolce to Kennedy meadows South (about 250 miles) then head home for a month or so to wait out the weather. I want to knock out the rest of the desert before it gets hot. Not planning on the Sierra's until June, maybe July. I want to deal with as little snow as possible.
Being that I will now be a section hiker it takes some of the stress off of getting North before the fires start and dealing with snow on a heavy snow year.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 09:08 AM

I'm going to hike from Agua Dolce to Kennedy meadows South (about 250 miles) then head home for a month or so to wait out the weather. I want to knock out the rest of the desert before it gets hot. Not planning on the Sierra's until June, maybe July. I want to deal with as little snow as possible.
Being that I will now be a section hiker it takes some of the stress off of getting North before the fires start and dealing with snow on a heavy snow year.

Section hiking seems the most practical and realistic way of tackling the PCT for most people.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 10:56 AM

I agree John. I really wanted to do it in one shot but after trying to, I have come to the conclusion that doing sections is much more practical and enjoyable. To complete a thru hike, you have to put in a lot of miles and stay focused on the end goal. Section hikes make it much more enjoyable and realistic for most.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.