Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: They haven’t wiped them all out yet
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 07:28 AM
They haven’t wiped them all out yet

Navy and Sea Shepherd representatives who are collaborating to rescue the vaquita marina porpoise.
Sightings of vaquita porpoises kindle hope for endangered species’ rescue
Scientists saw at least nine in upper Gulf of California late last year
A group of scientists sighted at least nine vaquita marina porpoises in the upper Gulf of California in late 2021, leading the chairman of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) to declare that there is still hope for the critically endangered species.

During a five-day period in October and November, scientists on board the Sea Shepherd vessel Sharpie and another boat that belongs to the Whale Museum in La Paz sighted eight mature vaquitas and one or two calves in a 225-square-kilometer no-fishing zone known as the zero tolerance area (ZTA).

Vaquitas, the world’s smallest porpoise species, are endemic to the Gulf of California, where many have died after becoming entangled in nets set to catch totoaba, a fish whose swim bladder is a delicacy in China and sells for thousands of dollars per kilogram.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 05:11 PM

Extinctions have been a natural part of our planet's evolutionary history. More than 99% of the four billion species that have evolved on Earth are now gone. At least 900 species have gone extinct in the last five centuries. Only a small percentage of species have been evaluated for their extinction risk. Google.

''.... a fish whose swim bladder is a delicacy in China and sells for thousands of dollars per kilogram.''

There is no hope.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 07:36 AM

Lee -- your sentiment is partially why species are continuing to go extinct. Mankind's ignorance, greed and stupidity has been a natural part of evolutionary history - and mankind's populace is "natural" - but the ignorance, greed and stupidity can be altered, thereby affecting species eradication going forward.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Lee -- your sentiment is partially why species are continuing to go extinct. Mankind's ignorance, greed and stupidity has been a natural part of evolutionary history - and mankind's populace is "natural" - but the ignorance, greed and stupidity can be altered, thereby affecting species eradication going forward.

My sentiment? You think MX and Chinese ignorance, greed and stupidity can be altered?

Hopeless. Dream on if that's what you think.

I'm in Coachella Valley where there's a drought and Disney is in cahoots with Rancho Mirage for a 2,000 resident, 400 room hotel, 24 acre lagoon. Looks like ignorance, greed and stupidity at home and no one can stop it.

Give it a shot. Prediction is 2045 will see this area go dry. Everyone is complicit for this travesty. Whatever.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/local/rancho-mirage/202...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Prediction is 2045 will see this area go dry. Everyone is complicit for this travesty. Whatever.

Only you sissy liberals care about the future. Us capitalists plan on cutting and running long before 2045!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Prediction is 2045 will see this area go dry. Everyone is complicit for this travesty. Whatever.

Only you sissy liberals care about the future. Us capitalists plan on cutting and running long before 2045!

Saving the environment is boring, joyrides into space are where it's at!

John
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 07:16 PM

Lee, your sentiment, meaning acceptance.
"2,000 resident, 400 room hotel, 24 acre lagoon" would make me cringe too - in San Diego the plans are for 5,000 residences at a time, 2,000 hotel rooms for one project. But we've managed to snuff several - especially the ones on the outskirts. It can be done. In some cases, modify the plans - more open space, add 100 trees, make the lagoon bigger, 1,700 units, not 2,000. Landscaping, bike trails, solar, etc. Demand more. Challenge their CEQA.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Lee, your sentiment, meaning acceptance.

Got it. My acceptance is partially responsible for the vaquita becoming extinct.

Blame me for being a pessimist as I see no hope for MX or China and their ignorance, greed and stupidity.

I support SSCS but don't have a dog in this fight.

You should fight the good fight whatever that is. I'm retired and focusing on my golf.

F*ck it.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 10:28 AM

Yesterday and today also, Encinitas is having their annual two day Spring street faire and there was a Sea Shepherd booth set up.

I showed them my heartfelt appreciation for all of their efforts, especially with the latest report of a group, pod, that was still surviving the onslaught of greed for the appetite of the Totoaba fish bladders.

If there is any single organization that has tried to save this special species of mammals, it is The Sea Shepherd that deserves our respect and support in whatever way we can.

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2022 at 03:35 PM

I was a drone operator aboard the Sharpie for this survey. It's important to know that there's a formula used by all the trained observers after the survey is completed and where they come to a consensus on the numbers. The observers sighted 7 - 8 adults and 1 - 2 calves. The reason for nonspecific numbers is because there's no way to know if the same individuals were sighted more than once. The trained scientist obvservers have to then figure out an estimate. So, in fact, there could be fewer than 7 or 8 adults and maybe only one calf.

This is an unnecessary extinction unfolding before our eyes created by greed, apathy and ignorance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.