Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: no more masks!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 10:45 AM

There's a new Omicron variant on the move, covid is not over. We just returned from a conference in Hawaii, many attendees contracted covid there as very few were masking up. The good news is that deaths and hospitalizations are not increasing nationally with this variant.

Covid is just starting in China - their Zero Covid policy has kept herd immunity to a minimum and their vaccine is not greatly effective against Omicron. Not only that, according to WaPo and NYT, China did not do a good job vaccinating their elderly. What does this mean for us? Bogged supply chains for two more years minimum.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm still staying away from crowds and certainly airplanes. There may be long-term health problems even with mild cases:

"The latest analysis found that people who had had COVID-19 were about 40% more likely to develop diabetes up to a year later...."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00912-y

:( with mexico already having one of the highest prevalences of obesity and diabetes in the world this is just what they need....to heck with masks ban coca-cola and cheap pizza!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

You're keeping good company here with those who believe every damn thing the media spews out. Don't even have to read the BS link.

COVID is NOT over, doesn't matter what MX does.

I read it. Poor quality source.
"The Mexican government said Tuesday that COVID-19 has passed from a pandemic to an endemic stage in Mexico, meaning authorities will treat it as a seasonally recurring disease."

There is no seasonal pattern, waves are coming in summer as often as they are in winter, see the graph below.

Though the reporter was not entirely dishonest:
"New case numbers have declined. But that may be because Mexico, which never did much testing, is now offering even fewer tests".

I understand the govt healthcare don't test unless you developed clinical symptoms.

[Edited on 4-27-2022 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm still staying away from crowds and certainly airplanes. There may be long-term health problems even with mild cases

Nothing new about long term effects. In China they've been observing it since early 2020 - lung problems, kidneys and other.

Based on simulation models, the risk of infection on airplanes is alleviated by their effective air filtration and ventilation. As a result, passengers sitting next to one another is the same as standing 6-7 ft apart in a building. There are no real-world data of course.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Based on simulation models, the risk of infection on airplanes is alleviated by their effective air filtration and ventilation. As a result, passengers sitting next to one another is the same as standing 6-7 ft apart in a building.

You guys are silly knuckleheads to read and repeat such obvious nonsense.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 02:16 PM

Nonsense indeed. I am familiar with HVAC and cabin pressurization systems transport category aircraft.
I can assure you that it is indeed nonsense.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Nonsense indeed. I am familiar with HVAC and cabin pressurization systems transport category aircraft.

A Harvard study says you are incorrect.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/bcs-podria-dejar-de-tener-uso-obl...

BCS podría dejar de tener uso obligatorio de mascarillas, en espacios abiertos: Gobernador

El Gobernador de Baja California Sur buscará plantear que ya no sea obligatorio el uso de la mascarilla en espacios abiertos

Gnukid: So they are still required in both open and closed spaces in La Paz?

My translator states they are only considering relaxing the present mask requirements. As I am flying into La Paz this next week, would be good to know in advance what the mask requirements are at present.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 04:39 PM

In La Paz it's up to individual establishments, no restaurants require masks that I have found now, nor outside anywhere, but, in large big box stores and some smaller stores they still request you to wear masks, outside of La Paz in pueblos there are no masks generally required anywhere for customers but still some people will wear them while working as policy or habit.

Covid is no longer a pandemic in Baja nor anywhere in Mexico nor in USA by declaration of gov health department, it is declared endemic.

No masks are required on planes and in general not in any transportation, uber or taxi, but, some individuals will request it.

I know of no one who is sick now with covid, nor anyone who feels there is a risk at this point, for anyone except those who are still suffering adverse affects associated to preexisting co-morbiditiies which resulted in severe adverse affects, Bells Palsy, Guilane Bare Syndrome, Paralysis, Strokes, Blood Clots, Perioditis, etc. Many people were injured, hospitalized, bedridden at home, apparently from severe adverse reactions to the jabs. The focus now is on healthy diet, vitamins, fresh air, cutting down on sugar, carbohydrates, etc. recuperating those who are injured.

Businesses are open, restaurants, tours, events, always bring masks just in case it is requested you have one to pass an entrance.

Hindsight is 20/20-mindset is quite different now.

CDC coding error led to overcount of 72,000 Covid deaths
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/24/cdc-coding-err...

"A total of 72,277 deaths in all age groups reported across 26 states were removed from the tracker “because CDC’s algorithm was accidentally counting deaths that were not Covid-19-related”, Jasmine Reed, a spokesperson for the agency, told the Guardian."

[Edited on 4-28-2022 by gnukid]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2022 at 05:17 PM

Thanks Gnukid: Similar to what was existing in Oct when i flew out last then. I noticed few of the locals wore masks then when outside as well, while SOME stores required them along with temperature checks and sanitizer use on entry. Others did not, so was hard to get the actual gov't requirements.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

A Harvard study says you are incorrect.

and did that Harvard study include airflow in the jetways where you all pack in and stand in line waiting for some amateur traveler to try and jam in their oversized luggage into the overhead - while blocking the aisle ? and when exactly do they turn this filtration system on in the plane ? when its loading? and I'm sure the Harvard guys thought to study the airflow in the airport terminals as well - right?
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

and did that Harvard study include airflow in the jetways where you all pack in and stand in line waiting for some amateur traveler to try and jam in their oversized luggage into the overhead - while blocking the aisle ? and when exactly do they turn this filtration system on in the plane ? when its loading? and I'm sure the Harvard guys thought to study the airflow in the airport terminals as well - right?

Not sure you have flown lately? 95% of people working on the plane don't wear masks today. They aren't very concerned.

Plus remind us of the many outbreaks from planes from the hundreds of thousands of flights in the US over the last two years? It is estimated that up to 500,000 people are up in the air at any given time around the world.

I swear, you ppl just want to root for the virus and fear monger. Don't fly if you don't want to, stay in the basement!

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

There were several such studies, not just Harward. Most of them didn't include the period when people were standing while waiting to be seated, with air flow off. Some mentioned that this period carries the highest risk - because they are standing so close to each other, and there is no forced airflow, only tiny open door.

Now, how could the fact that most people are not wearing masks on the plane and are not concerned mean that there is no danger, is beyond me. Most people don't use their brains much, this would be more logical explanation.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Based on simulation models, the risk of infection on airplanes is alleviated by their effective air filtration and ventilation. As a result, passengers sitting next to one another is the same as standing 6-7 ft apart in a building.

You guys are silly knuckleheads to read and repeat such obvious nonsense.

To respond in kind, I should've said that "you guy" can't read before repeating :). Alright, consider that I haven't. There was a line immediately after the quoted text - there is no real-world data.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 11:41 AM

[/rquote]

Plus remind us of the many outbreaks from planes from the hundreds of thousands of flights in the US over the last two years? It is estimated that up to 500,000 people are up in the air at any given time around the world.

[/rquote] Tell us how you think the virus got to the USA. On a slow boat from China, or an airplane packed with people?
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  

Tell us how you think the virus got to the USA. On a slow boat from China, or an airplane packed with people?

The comment was about spread happening on planes, not about planes transporting ppl with Covid. The latter obviously happened.

The former too, as there have been some reported instances. But only to a very small degree given the huge volume of traffic carried.

The bottom line is studies say and the empirical evidence shows the the filtration systems of planes makes a major difference in reducing the potential for spread.

[Edited on 4-28-2022 by JZ]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 03:13 PM

Tell us how you think the virus got to the USA. On a slow boat from China, or an airplane packed with people?

The bottom line is studies say and the empirical evidence shows the the filtration systems of planes makes a major difference in reducing the potential for spread.

[Edited on 4-28-2022 by JZ]

Aren't masks like a filtration system:light:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 04:30 PM

The comment was about spread happening on planes, not about planes transporting ppl with Covid. The latter obviously happened.

The former too, as there have been some reported instances. But only to a very small degree given the huge volume of traffic carried.

How did virus always travel???? on Airplanes for millions of years? No. Viral expression is excretion of proteins from cells, that are non-living, incapable or regeneration, dead protein expression.

So, if common colds and "viral" flus are expression from your cells made from your body and not living nor reproducible, what is it?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 04:53 PM

Everyone who has studied and been test by the FAA on transport category aircraft pressurization and air conditioning systems raise your hands.

Ya, thought so.

I have. Claims about the reality of being in a large pipe with several hundred people
being a relatively safe in regard to disease exposure are laughable.

[Edited on 4-28-2022 by pacificobob]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-28-2022 at 05:39 PM

Everyone who has studied and been test by the FAA on transport category aircraft pressurization and air conditioning systems raise your hands.

Ya, thought so.

I have. Claims about the reality of being in a large pipe with several hundred people
being a relatively safe in regard to disease exposure are laughable.

Yeah, we'll believe you over actual studies by industry experts?

But beyond that, if what you said was in fact true, we'd have Covid out breaks tied to airplanes being discussed on the news nightly, instead of the relatively few documented cases (one where the filtration system was down for 30 mins during refueling).

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.