Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Warning! La Rumorosa, BC to Laguna Hanson/Parque Nacional road
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2022 at 09:45 PM
Warning! La Rumorosa, BC to Laguna Hanson/Parque Nacional road

Warning!!! Be careful driving the road between La Rumorosa and Laguna Hanson/Parque Nacional. There was an incident on 12 April, 2022. Jose Dukes, of a prominent ranching family in the Sierra de Juárez was abducted. He was driving from his ranch near Laguna Hanson to La Rumorosa in daylight hours. His truck was found near El Condor, near highway Mex 2.
I waited to write this news, because it was not public information and could endanger the family. But now the family has put it on Facebook. My condolences to the family and many friends of Señor Dukes.

I recommend traveling with groups of 3 or more vehicles.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Warning!!! Be careful driving the road between La Rumorosa and Laguna Hanson/Parque Nacional. There was an incident on 12 April, 2022.

Your advice should extend to the larger area. There are incidents frequently on the remote roads in northern Baja….
Car jackings, kidnappings,…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for updates on the Sierra Juarez, Madarita. You are the Sierra Juarez man!

I would not say that such incidents are "frequent" in the mountains, I have remote camped there many times with no problems. However, there is always that small chance of encountering the wrong sort of people on those back roads; smuggling contraband up from south of San Felipe to the border or conducting clandestine activities i--

I am going to send you a U2, have a question about a rancher in the area and am wondering if you know him.

edit: Let me add that I hope for the best with regards to the man that has gone missing.

[Edited on 4-30-2022 by bajaric]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 01:53 PM

More information is better than less information.

But I bet being a member of a significant ranching family in the area has a lot to do with his disappearance. I think the odds that this was a random act is not great.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 02:11 PM

Sources close to the family indicate that after the disappearance of Dukes Carranza, they were contacted by the kidnappers demanding a ransom, which was paid but the criminals did not deliver it.

The relatives ask the public to have information on the possible whereabouts of José Dukes that they can help by calling 646 384 2525 or 089, where they can report anonymously if they wish.

José Dukes Carranza is a rancher and manufacturer of one of the most recognized products in the region «Queso Dukes» which is widely distributed in Baja California and is one of the most renowned artisanal products in the Real del Castillo area (Ojos Negros). in the Municipality of Ensenada.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

...José Dukes Carranza is a rancher and manufacturer of one of the most recognized products in the region «Queso Dukes» which is widely distributed in Baja California and is one of the most renowned artisanal products in the Real del Castillo area (Ojos Negros). in the Municipality of Ensenada.

José was en route to La Rumorosa to deliver his cheese to restaurants. Sadly, he was abducted somewhere on the way there.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2022 at 04:49 PM

The incident is in the news now, after 2 weeks.

https://www.periodismonegro.mx/2022/04/29/secuestran-a-empre...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2022 at 12:25 AM

Oh my gosh. How very, very sad.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 06:47 PM

Wow - that is horrible.

This is one of my favorite regions to travel in and I often take that route north or south to Laguna Hanson to begin/end my Baja trips. I don't know the Dukes queso in particular but I have bought cheese from a few of the ranch's around there.

Over the last two years or so I have noticed the national park is seemingly abandoned. The ranches were operating and we saw people on dirtbikes/quads while camping but the park itself was unstaffed. I can't remember when I last saw it operational. I also saw the dirt road entrance off hwy 3 was blocked off when I visited in 2021. To enter we had to use the road further NW up hwy 3 that goes to the Cava de Queso. We were told the blocked entrance was on private land and the owner had decided to cut it off. I dunno if there's any connection to the bad hombres.

I wish the park were staffed - that might restore some security to the region. How would one reach out to the park service and lobby for the park to reopen?

Anyway, I won't stop my visits to the area just based on this but I will think twice about going alone ... at least for a little while.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 08:10 AM

One of literally thousands of persons who disappear in Mexico each year.

I don't mean to diminish his disappearance, and this is technically a kidnapping apparently, but, jeez-o, this is rampant in Mexico.

And, outside of a few citizens groups searching for clandestine graves, nothing much is done about it.

[Edited on 5-6-2022 by Hook]
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 12:03 AM

Sad news out of the Sierra de Juárez. José Dukes was found deceased near El Hongo on Wednesday. D.E.P.
https://www.periodismonegro.mx/2022/05/05/localizan-sin-vida...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 07:00 AM

Sad.
Too often Mexican kidnappers do not honor their word and they kill the victim after getting ransom….

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2022 at 02:49 PM

There is some newer info to suggest that the victim was specifically targeted. Arrests were made, and tourists are not in any particular or ongoing danger related to this incident.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.