BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is Baja safe to get your oil changed?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 10:43 PM
Is Baja safe to get your oil changed?

Mexico may have some interesting compensation laws to deal with but I think the US may be leading in that area in lawsuits.

https://share.smartnews.com/k46EV
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 12:05 AM

You can definitely get your dipstick checked without too much danger.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 09:15 AM

Maybe but I do my own oil change in states or baja. Dont need a kid leaving drain plug lose or cross threaded .
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 10:23 AM

I find it astonishing that by leaving a vehicle with a dealership for routine service, liability could come back to the owner for a failure of the dealer! :o

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 03:10 PM

That's a good one and it sounds like lawyers.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 03:14 PM

I think the whole story is BS.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I think the whole story is BS.

SO DO I :fire::fire::fire:
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 09:55 PM

Google the subject and see how many legitimate news sources are reporting on the incident. If you have ever driven a stick shift Jeep you may understand how this incident happened. The young helper stood outside the Jeep on his left leg and held the clutch down with his right foot to start it. When the Jeep started he lifted his right foot off the clutch and the Jeep must have been left in gear and jumped forward into the mechanic pinning him against a large toolbox. Not hard to understand. This is a good example of how the lawyers will find anyone they can to sue. You better beware in CA as the lawyers there are the worst of the Vultures so keep on thinking it is BS.

[Edited on 5-8-2022 by LancairDriver]
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 10:11 PM

Yeah, a search turns up lots of legit sites with the report...

"under Michigan law, if someone is injured or killed and a vehicle is involved, the owner of the car is responsible."

So is this ludicrous turn of events a result of only being a law in Michigan? We need a lawyer to chime in here!!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2022 at 10:46 PM

Hey, if my family member was murdered thru negligence, I would sue every one i could.
I love lawyers, especially the smart ones.

Why are you all grumbling about lawyers and the law? The guy is dead as result of a work place incident, and the employer said flock you to the family of deceased, so the family rightly sued every warm body.

I’d possible, I always insist my subs and vendors defend and indemnify me. Stupid not to.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2022 at 02:05 AM

Sounds like what's explained in the following quote is what's happening.

"When you let someone drive your car, your auto insurance coverage kicks in to handle any claims. If the person you loan your vehicle to is determined to be at fault for an accident, then other parties may make a claim against your policy."

https://www.ladahlaw.com/faq/what-happens-if-someone-else-is...

[Edited on 5-8-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2022 at 05:45 AM

For a bit more clarity.

“As Femminineo explained to Jalopnik, the Hawkins family can’t directly sue the dealership or its management. Michigan workers’ compensation law says you cannot sue a fellow employee for negligence while on the job. So the Hawkins family’s only option was to sue the Jeep owner. But that doesn’t mean the Jeep owner will be held responsible for the accidental death.

According to Femminineo, when the Hawkins family filed suit against the Jeep owner, that person immediately sued the dealership for indemnification, and won. With that victory in place, whatever results from the Hawkins family’s suit against the Jeep owner will be the legal responsibility of Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge (and their insurance company). Basically, while the owner of the Jeep is named in the suit, that person won’t face any repercussions from the trial or judgment.”

https://jalopnik.com/why-a-jeep-owner-is-being-sued-for-a-me...
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2022 at 03:12 PM

Something like this happens if you give a stick shift to a Gringo. Only very few - mainly those Baja travellers - are capable of shifting a stick shift.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-8-2022 at 03:57 PM

My son in Anchorage is teaching his daughter how to drive. She will take part in a formal driver's ed course a bit later, but the basics will be learned in one of my old Kias with a stick.

A whole lot of the basics will be driving on back roads and on 4x4 terrain! Her first lessons included driving on frozen Anchorage roads.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-8-2022 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Something like this happens if you give a stick shift to a Gringo. Only very few - mainly those Baja travellers - are capable of shifting a stick shift.

Why would baja travelers be more capable of driving stick than non-baja travelers?

Stick is obsolete. They don’t even sell them any more, except to a few cranks who buy Miata’s or other chicks cars (sports cars with IC engines are obsolete, the new sports car is an electric with whiplash inducing acceleration that is whisper quiet)

I had many sticks,… I sure like modern automatic transmissions, with sport mode, tow mode, traction control, 10 speeds, etc.
Today a stick is entertaining to drive for a few minutes, then it is just a chore. Much easier to text/make phone calls and drive with an automatic! :light:

Other automobile things I am glad have gone obsolete: hand crank windows, carburetors, IC engines (we are in the last decade of IC engines, the future is electric). I used to have a vehicle with a choke on the dash. Glad my cars no longer need to be choked to start.

[Edited on 5-8-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-9-2022 at 09:19 AM

How strange your thinking of a tourist. Jc43 is correct overall most in states cant drive manual trans. Lazy fat want to text on phone while driving not smart. In Baja Mex manual trans is very much alive many drive manual trans. Many off road tourist in baja do enjoy manual trans. When is last time you checked your 10 speed auto dollar amount to rebuild it ? Manual trans bullet proof when you need new cultch . Cheap V auto repair. I enjoy driving so 3 out of 4 my rides manual trans. Screw your e cars boring to drive . when I decide to order new Hilux Diesel manual 6 speed . Bring back enjoyment of driving . As we know not possible in CA bumper to bumper traffic.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.