BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: e-bike for offroad use?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
You might be able to use a moose insert tube, worth checking into. I use a foam insert on my mountain bike.

No! Don’t do this! Wheel weight kills bike feel, kills acceleration. Use tubes or go tubeless. Do not go with foam or solid wheels. Tubeless rarely get flats (no pinch flats, the interior fluid heals small punctures like cactus needles), and allow air pressure adjustment.

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I did lose about 2 gears with them.

What do you mean? I think you mean the wheels feel like lead weights, eh?

[Edited on 5-14-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 07:23 PM

The bib inserts are no concern of weight on Ebike. Things I dont like when parked for extended time. You are to put bike on a stand wheels off the ground . also may only last a year difficult to install if you dont know how. Tubeless nice but still gets flats but no problem to ride . You need be very careful to learn how to ride E bike. As power comes on real strong . Get used to it in large open area.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The bib inserts are no concern of weight on Ebike.

If you pedal a bike, weight in wheel makes a difference. So if pedal-assist type e-bike, then don’t get heavy wheels.
If just getting a throttle-type e-moped, then ya, wheel weight don’t matter, and you probably don’t ever pedal it anyways.

People need to be specific in their terminology:
E-bicycle (for healthier people that sometimes like to exercise)
E-moped (for fat people)
E-motorcycle (for knuckeldraggers)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 07:47 PM

since your fat and old cant ride real moto What would you call yourself. Weak useless no energy not smart or in shape to ride a real dirt bike . Need More ? HAHa I forgot scared too
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 09:18 PM

Bajatrailrider is right, added weight and lower performance - with added foam inserts - are not a big deal on ebike. In pedal-assist either. You just up the PAS level or put up with a lower speed. This added weight is negligible, anyway, with +70 lbs machine.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2022 at 09:27 PM

Also checkout the motopeds. I'm in the same boat, between an E-bike and a moto ped. Right now I'm leaning toward a moto ped because I'm a moto guy at heart.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2022 at 01:26 PM

Only need spray with water same as dirt bike.

... avoiding any connectors and the area where battery clicks into the frame, usually at the lower end. Connectors are supposed to be waterproof, but - who knows...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2022 at 07:20 PM

Yes same as dirt bike light spray not in battery box . or bearings
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 10:00 AM

We have Radrovers and they do ok in soft sand if you air down, use a lot throttle, and crank away in 2nd gear. The first year (2019) we had them in Baja I was getting a lot of flats so I picked up some Slime in Los Barriles and haven't had any troubles since. The front shock is kind of POS compared to an air shock.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 01:00 PM

how cool is that great picture ride on.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 04:38 PM

I bought a fat tire ebike last year after riding one around in a neighborhood with paved roads, I then started looking for one online and found a fat tire just like the rad rover, on my first ride I decided to head into town and loved it on paved roads but it was rough on dirt roads and I thought worthless in soft sand.
Most of them are rear drum drive and you are supposed to always pedal when starting off or going up hills to not burn up the motor I was told.
I ride dirt bikes 2x a week and also saw a need for rear suspension, after lots of research I bought a full suspension mountain bike and put a mid drive motor in it with a 52v battery, used bike cost $1500, mid drive kit around $1500, extras another $100-$200, this bike does everything I want it to and more, I can get thru heavy soft sand and climbing dirt hills is easy as you can adjust the amount of pedal assist you want to use, plus with the mid drive you are able to actually use all your gears since it’s driven from the front.
I’ve had it 3-4 months now and still get surprised about what it can do, it’s great exercise and I’m still blown away at the places I can get to that I would never be able to without the motor.
There are lots of different kits, if you already have a bike it’s not a hard project, 2-3 hours of work, and 40 hours of YouTube.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2022 at 12:36 PM

26" tires will work a lot better than 20" in sand !!!

Don
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-2-2022 at 12:16 PM

https://us.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fat-tired-electric-bike-desig...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2022 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If you pedal a bike, weight in wheel makes a difference. So if pedal-assist type e-bike, then don’t get heavy wheels.
If just getting a throttle-type e-moped, then ya, wheel weight don’t matter, and you probably don’t ever pedal it anyways.

People need to be specific in their terminology:
E-bicycle (for healthier people that sometimes like to exercise)
E-moped (for fat people)
E-motorcycle (for knuckeldraggers)

There are three classes for electric Bikes:

Class 1 The motor kicks in only when you pedal, and stops helping at 20 mph.

Class 2 also has a pedal-assist mode up to 20 mph plus a purely throttle-powered mode.

Class 3 is solely pedal-assist (like class 1), but assistance continues until you hit 28 mph.

Class 4 Moped or Motorcycle. Top speed above 28 mph and/or motor wattage may be greater than 750 watts. This class would be considered a motor vehicle which requires licensing and registration.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 09:15 AM

Cycling is freedom!
Hard to find anything more fun than bicycling!
Yesterday, Biden fell off his bike — great to see elderly still having fun.
The trump response: “ I make this pledge to you today: I will never ever ride a bicycle."
What a sad old man!

I see right wing media mocking Biden for falling off his bike. So ridiculous.
Bike riders are superior to fat people with anti-bike additudes!

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 10:17 AM

Again Donkey Goat you post your silly writing . Let me help you no body is fat or out of shape. Riding dirt bikes we all can pedal dirt dirt bikes. If you like to be bored slow old slow in your case. You even agree your not in shape to ride off road motorcycle. So your beloved Biden just showed you . He is same as you out of shape cant ride anything . If you think your superior on your bike. Then why where you scared ? when we give you the chance to ride off road moto? :Plus 10,000 dollars cash if you could last 20 min :light::light::light::light::light: Care to try again ? still out of shape fat no energy scared ?:?: HAHA YES ALL OF THE ABOVE> :bounce:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 10:33 AM

Again Donkey Goat you post your silly writing . Let me help you no body is fat or out of shape. Riding dirt bikes we all can pedal dirt dirt bikes. If you like to be bored slow old slow in your case. You even agree your not in shape to ride off road motorcycle. So your beloved Biden just showed you . He is same as you out of shape cant ride anything . If you think your superior on your bike. Then why where you scared ? when we give you the chance to ride off road moto? :Plus 10,000 dollars cash if you could last 20 min :light::light::light::light::light: Care to try again ? still out of shape fat no energy scared ?:?: HAHA YES ALL OF THE ABOVE> :bounce:

I am still waiting for you to put up $10k! Why would I agree to race you when I know you can’t scrounge up more than $1500 from your monthly disability check? Show me the money!

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 12:02 PM

Its no race its only if you can stay on that dirt bike 20min . Without falling over like Biden. :light: You poor penny less slob your still working at Jack in the box. You wish you had what we have ? Like to post crap face the music.;) The most work out you get is when your BP goes up when I answer you.:D
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 08:20 PM

I think of two things. Neither of them bicycles in the normal sense.

Honda Trail 125

Sur ron X.

Im pretty sure i couldn't keep up with the electrical demands of the Sur Ron while remote camping. however, then while you are back home and it is sitting for months- no worry about bad gas.

I have a class 1 E bike mountain bike made by Cube. A bit less that $6K OTD. 55 lbs. Fun on the trails and you need to pedal to move. I usually get good exercise. It is not going to give you a 50 mile day though like you could get the above.

I like the idea of the Honda above for cruising around camp. Until then Ive got the Cube on a bike rack.

steve

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2022 at 09:10 AM

Its no race its only if you can stay on that dirt bike 20min . Without falling over like Biden. :light: You poor penny less slob your still working at Jack in the box. You wish you had what we have ? Like to post crap face the music.;) The most work out you get is when your BP goes up when I answer you.:D

Hay working at a fast food place ain't so bad now days. I saw a sign the other day for MacDonald's. $16/hr day shift and $17/hr night shift to start.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.