BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Liveabords
FlyGirl

question.gif posted on 9-17-2003 at 03:34 PM
Liveabords

Do any of you live on your boats, or know people who do so in Baja?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 03:51 PM

FlyGirl, why don't you post here:

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/cortez/index.cgi

Several cruisers on that site.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 05:47 PM

I know two amigos who live on their boats for half a year, in La Paz Bay.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

smile.gif posted on 9-17-2003 at 07:28 PM
Living aboard a boat

I'm one of those who live aboard a sailboat in La Paz for 6 months each winter. My wife, dog and I are starting our fifth year this November in Marina de La Paz. Our boat lives in the marina all year. During the winter we are prowling around the Sea, and in and out of the marina. It's great!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 07:38 PM
Live-aboards

I have a family member who used to live-aboard moored on a bouy in La Paz for most of the time when they weren't out at Agua Verde, Puerto Escondido, Isla Partida, etc.
FlyGirl

wink.gif posted on 9-19-2003 at 03:04 PM
Jack Swords...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
I'm one of those who live aboard a sailboat in La Paz for 6 months each winter. My wife, dog and I are starting our fifth year this November in Marina de La Paz. Our boat lives in the marina all year. During the winter we are prowling around the Sea, and in and out of the marina. It's great!

It sure sounds great! So, you have year-round moorage in the marina in LaPaz? Is it expensive?
Are you retired, or still doing something to make a living?
Jeff Wagner

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 04:17 PM

Living aboard and sailing the seemingly endless coast of pacific baja and the sea of cortez is a beautiful and unique expierence. There are a few marinas. There are abundent anchorages, great surf, unbelievable fishing, diving, exploring, and on and on. Great people and lifestyle! Check with Club Cruceros de La Paz for contacts, stories, current updates on the website.

[Edited on 9-19-2003 by Jeff Wagner]
Edie H.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 05:01 PM

Hey Jeff.....just wondering, we currently have our boat in Alamitos Bay (Long Beach) but are interested in taking the boat down to Baja when they start renovating the marina over the next few years. Really interested in the costs at the La Paz marina, security of leaving your boat while you return home, etc.

We have friends who have spent the last two years in the Sea of Cortez (S/V In The Mood, Dwight & Donna) getting all the way to Z-town and just last month sailed back to San Diego being chased by hurricane Ignacio. Our other friends on S/V Sunrise (Paula & Dale) left two months ago and are now in Hawaii. Don't know if you know either of them but they always checked into the hams nets daily.

Thanks for any information you can provide us.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 06:14 PM
Living Aboard

Well Flygirl, I am a retired science teacher, owned a home in Todos Santos for 10 years, sold it upon retirement and sailed down. Costs in the marina are about the same or more than in Calif. There are no bargains. The marina is just like those in the US, clean, secure, etc. One can anchor out, but the Port Authority charges a daily/monthly rate for that. Anchoring in the many coves, anchorages in the Sea is free, however. The life style is up to you. You must pay a check in/out fee when entering and leaving a port (some never enter a port). Come down and wander the docks and talk to people, you'll get lots of opinions from some wonderful people. Don't bother with Cabo, it's an aberration. OK?
Jeff Wagner

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 06:26 PM

Hey Edie,
Marina de La Paz and Marina Palmira are comperable to any of the best the west coast USA has to offer. Security is better than most American marinas with security officers and locked gated docks. Very few problems. Contact Marina de La Paz on the net. There is alot of written material on the cruse south from the U.S. including chart guides (check Charlies Charts) that show all the anchorages along the coast. While transiting south from San Diego I like to stop at as many places as possible as I feel it is easier and safer with the wind to your back. The Pacific coast, south of Ensenada is remote, rustic and well worth getting as much detailed information about the history, fishing, surfing, diving, and anchorages as you can. The advent of gps makes the trip alot safer these days. I personally have made the passage a bunch of times on my own boats and as a skipper delivering others and every trip is an adventure. I recommend it highly. It''s a good shakedown if your headed to Hawaii or the South Pacific. I get excited just talking about it. I can't get enough!
No Edie, I haven't met your friends but there is a large boat community living in San Lucas, La Paz, Puerto Escondito, Guymas, Mazatlan, and points south. Alot of these people stay in touch by ham radio which is another good idea if your crusing. If you're staying on the boat it is cheaper or usually free, to just anchor out.
DO IT!

[Edited on 9-20-2003 by Jeff Wagner]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 07:02 PM

Thanks Jeff for the info. Sounds like a good place to take the boat once they kick us out of the marina...especially since the rates are about what we're paying here. We have a 42' Irwin ketch which costs us $495 a month right now with rates going up again next month another $16.00 mo. Are they comparable to La Paz? We are pretty well outfitted for the trip including the latest GPS charts, generator, solar panels, water maker etc. Just waiting for my hubby to retire (I already am) but thought that taking the boat down early would be a great stepoff point. I caught your enthusiasm as well while reading about your cruising. I can't wait to experience Baja by sea rather than land.

------------
May the wind at your back not be your own. :yes:
Edie H.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 07:06 PM

Ooops, forgot to sign in. That was me in last post.:(
Jeff Wagner

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 08:38 AM

Edie,
475 sounds like about the same price. You can check online with Marina de La Paz for current rates. jeff
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 06:19 AM

Jeff,

"Yate Kiyomi"? Are you a powerboat at Palmira? I don't recall the boat. I remember S/V In the Mood.

Jack Swords, S/V La Paloma
Jeff Wagner

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 11:44 AM

Hi Jack,
No my boat is not a power boat. It's a 42 ft. double ended sailboat I built up in L.A. back in the 70s. The boat is currently on the hard @ Berkovich boatyard. We used to keep it @ Palmira but I think I'm better off on dry land when I'm not down there.
Do you still maintain a boat in La Paz? Are you there now? La Paloma. I remember hearing you on the 8am net. Is that a sailboat? jeff

[Edited on 9-21-2003 by Jeff Wagner]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.