Printable Version  
Author: Subject: U.S. to tighten passport requirements
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 04:27 PM
U.S. to tighten passport requirements

You'll need one to get back from Mexico or Canada

WASHINGTON - Americans will need passports to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Panama and Bermuda by 2008, part of a tightening of U.S. border controls in an era of terrorist threat, three administration officials said Tuesday.

full story here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7393716/

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by woody in ob]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 04:30 PM

I wonder why it is going to take until 2008?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I wonder why it is going to take until 2008?

With all of us Nomads going to get passports, it will bog down the government that long to process us!:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:09 PM

Well, that'll keep most of the riffraff out.:biggrin:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:20 PM

Don't most Nomads have Passports?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:27 PM

Probably not.
We've never needed passports for Mexico, Canada or anywhere in the Carribean.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:50 PM
Passport ?

I just crossed the border heading North this afternoon and have not, as yet, had a U.S. official mention passports. We had been concerned that security may have tightened in light of the London Bombings this a.m., but our border wait was two minutes. After the Citizenship-Fruits and Vegtables Questions, we were waved on.

At El Chinero, however, we came up behind a line of a few cars and when it was our turn, waved into Lane one, then waved over to the PIT ! Since lane three and four were occupied, it was not possible to pull straight onto the pit so I had to back and go forward twice to line up. One of the soldiers then climbed down into the pit and proceeded to poke around the bottom of my truck with his pointed steel rod (car antenna). I was tempted to ask him about a lube and oil change while he was down there, but restrained myself.
Meanwhile, the other guard climbs into the back of my camper shell and proceeds to go through everything, including our duffle bag of dirty clothes. Leaving those dirty clothes strewn about the truck bed, he got back out, smiled and said Gracias. I smiled and thanked him and went on my way.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:21 PM
Good thing

you hid the machine guns and mortars!:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:46 PM
No Armas, BUT..................

That does remind me of a funny experience. Well, I think it's funny.

Many years back, 88 or 89, I was up in Monrovia at a GTE company school for the week and was heading for Baja Saturday a.m. Since I've always got a gun on board when up in the Big City, I had an M1911 .45 behind the driver's seat. I drove home Friday night, loaded my truck and took off in the a.m. About the time I got to El Centro a bulb lit and I remembered the Gun. Oops. At that time, I had a cross-top tool box on the truck bed. In that tool box, I had a plastic container in which I kept oil, trans fluid, etc including nasty oily rags. I buried the pistol at the bottom of that yucky mess and drove across the border. We got waved over and the Mexican officers started looking through things. To my horror, one of them started picking through that box. I just kept smiling and joking with them and (fortunately) he lost interest. Once my heart started beating again, we went on our way. Coming back, I was worried that this would be one of the few times that the U.S. officers pulled me into secondary, but we were waved through. My wife said that if I ever did that again, she would KILL me. Believe me, she was so sick with worry, I made sure that it didn't happen again.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.