BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kayaking the Whole Thing
tmericaj

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:11 PM
Kayaking the Whole Thing

A friend and I are considering Kayaking from San Felipe to Cabo (maybe back to san diego, probably not-waves and not as good fishing on the Pacific side). We'll be leaving at the end of the summer and after numerous trips to baja I know the obvious challenges. Compared to some of you, however, I am of course "green".

With that said:
1) In "Out of a desert Place" Mr. Makintire had a couple techniques that he used to desalinize H20. What solar or heat powered products are currently available? Where can they be purchased or how can I easily make?

2) Anyone know how to ship a couple kayaks from cabo to san diego? (or TJ/Ensenada: economically?)

3) What is the name of that organization that offers members med-evacs in case of emergencies?

4) Anyone done this, or know someone who has?

5) I'm also concerned about getting caught next to fourty miles of baja cliffs, having the sun go down, and not finding a beach to camp at. Probable? Unlikely?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help on this. I used to frequent this board so I know how helpful everyone is.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:23 PM

Graham Mackintosh: 'Into A Desert Place' is probably the best book to read about the coastline of Baja... specially the gulf side.

Listen to Baja Talk Radio's previous shows... Celia Diaz of the Binational Emergency Medical organization was a recent guest, and the operator of an air evac service was, as well... (if you don't see it here on Nomad, I have a link in my Baja Notebook)

Go to http://bajaexpo.com and click on Carlos Fiesta's Baja Circumnavigation story (panga trip from Los Angeles around Baja to the Colorado River).

If you read Graham's and Carlos' stories (and there are more) you will learn that the area north of San Evaristo, and north of Santa Rosalia are the toughest... with Gonzaga to L.A. Bay being the next 'mostly cliff' area.

Others will come forth with the names of books and articles on this subject... our own Gregorio can relate to what you are thinging of, as he is leaving soon on his adventure!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tmericaj

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:38 PM

Hey David,
I've met you a few times, at a baja book signing and one time up in alpine when we were getting some things together for the truck to take to the zoo. I almost just sent my first post directly to your e-mail. But I figured that you would eventualy read it here. I have a couple other questions that I will e-mail to you later.

Makintosh, (not Makintire). Yeah, I've read his book. I guess that's what made me think about the trip. There's no way I'm walking it, but a kayak shouldn't be too tough. Less rattlesnakes too!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:50 PM

Check this site to read about Gringorio's planned circumnavigation of the Sea of Cortes:

http://www.bajacaliforniaconservation.org/phpbb/viewforum.ph...

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
tmericaj

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:59 PM

thanks natalie! How cool!
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 06:12 PM
Go for it!

Hola tmericaj,

I say go for it! But of course study all the details wisely before you go. I?d definitely read Ed Darack?s book about his trip along the same route ( http://www.darack.com ). He tells some stories about situations you might encounter so in that sense they are good lessons to consider if you?re kayaking ? like things not to do and when to just stay on the beach. There are a couple other books on kayaking that route but their names escape me right now. You might try a Google search on those.

There are chances of getting cliffed-out. On our Hobie Cat adventure ( http://www.hobiehawk.com/BajaAdv.html ) we always managed to find a safe beach. But remember safe doesn?t always translate into comfortable. Also, we managed to find places to land the Hobie Cat that would have been disastrous if the weather/wind conditions had been different. This will apply to sea kayaks as well. The best thing to do is make wise choices knowing that the wind conditions, and therefore the water conditions, can change in the blink of an eye. And as many Nomad?s will attest, that?s not an exaggeration. Always err on the side of caution. Get good maps and study them well. Know the distances between known population centers and also where the cliffs are.

For water making, Graham describes his methods pretty well in his book and you could probably find information on how to make a solar still on-line. They also make small hand-held desalinators. But these are expensive and take a lot of effort and time to produce small amounts of water (if you can afford one get one). Your best bet is to plan well and take what you think is more than enough water for each leg. Water bags are best because they conform to the shape of the kayaks? hull. I?m trying to find the best brand right now for my trip.

Also, consider your emergency gear. Probably a minimum hand-held flares, signal mirror, hand-held VHF radio, extra water? I could go on and on.

If you want email me and we can exchange ideas about this stuff.

gringorio

greg@bajacaliforniaconservation.org

:bounce:

[Edited on 4-6-2005 by gringorio]

[Edited on 4-6-2005 by gringorio]

tmericaj

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 06:14 PM

hah! I just e-mailed you at your website!! I haven't read your post yet.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 09:12 AM

If you do your research, have a GPS, can paddle for 15 hours out of 24, you won't get caught with no place to land for the night. You should carry 10 gallons of water with you and know the places where you can "top off." An emergency desalinization technique (the "condensation still") is only a way to survive, not to fill up your bottles and continue a journey. This, along with other survival techniques would be good to know, but hopefully, you're going to be better prepared and not rely on them. Your primary concern is the weather - i.e., winds, currents, surf landings, breaking swells, capsize and rescue techniques. Practice rescue techniques with your kayak buddy until you can do them in your sleep, and practice handling your boat through waves. This is a doable trip. I know people who have done it, and I have done Loreto to La Paz myself. PS: Although Graham's "Into a Desert Place" is one of my all-time favorite books, it's not the best book to prepare for a kayak trip. Read marine charts, books on KAYAKING baja, all types of sea kayaking "how to" - learn how to understand currents, tides, Baja weather, etc. Good luck.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 06:59 PM

A few years ago a couple kayaked from SD to Yuma AZ., and wrote a book,I will get you the name tomorrow...I believe Graham M. used a still he made out of a pressure cooker and 1/4 inch copper tubbing .... I would also bring a water purifier and you can rent sat.phones ...good luck,Bajagrouper
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 09:27 AM
Kayak around Baja

The book"Keep it Moving" by Valerie Fons describes her kayak trip from SD to Yuma AZ. very good read...also Jack Williams wrote a 2 volume book about sailing around Baja with nice hand drawn maps of the coastline and fotos of the coast taken from a small plane...good luck

I hear the whales song
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 06:26 PM

>> 3) What is the name of that organization that offers members med-evacs in case of emergencies?

Do you mean EPIRB transmitters that are monitored by Sea and Rescue (SAR)?
tmericaj

[*] posted on 4-14-2005 at 05:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input! You guys are the best. I'll let you know how it goes.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2005 at 06:16 PM

Good luck to you Tristan! We wish you well, and look forward to a great adventure story when you return!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 09:08 AM
read Marv's book - it will get your attention!

Patchen.....baja by air, sea, and land.
those in his party werre real STARS!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.