Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: FMM gripe
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-30-2022 at 04:25 PM
FMM gripe

Thursday we have to fly down to Jalisco for a family event, my little bride comes from there....

So, having a valid FMM in my travel bag, purchased a couple months ago in Tecate for 500 pesos, and having a wife that is Mexico born, guess what??

Yep, American Airlines says I must have an FMM for each of us, nicely available on line for the tidy sum of $45 each, and yes, to be gathered up upon departure to preclude any further use.

And, of course, the extra irony, even though she carries a US passport the officials at the Baja border FMM office just wave her along "You are a Mexican, just keep moving along senora"

Grrrrrr.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-30-2022 at 04:40 PM
Another FMM gripe...or at least a warning!

On my last trip, I had very little hassle getting my FMM at Mexicali West. No line of traffic getting to the Migration facility, and the agent took my money, checked the form and my passport, and wished me a good visit.

It wasn't until much later that I realized the FMM was probably worthless, because he did not stamp it! Be sure and check yours before you leave the facility!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2022 at 06:22 PM

The flying FMM is (or was) a different form than the land travelers FMM. The way around this is to fly out of Tijuana.

I bought a flying FMM at the Ensenada airport when I arrived there by helicopter... It was only good for the 3 days of our flight down and back and was around US$40.

I think the logic is if you can fly your own aircraft in, you can afford that.

On the flight out, we had an additional passenger (Casey Currie) whose finger tip got cut off while surfing at Solosports (Punta San Carlos), so it was an emergency return to the hospital. He did not have his land FMM on him, or his cash... I paid the $40 they insisted he needed even though we were leaving Mexico. Lucky they didn't tack on a fine, as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2022 at 06:44 PM

If your wife is a Mexican citizen (dual citizenship), she should fly to Mexico as a Mexican, using a Mexican passport. Then she won't be required to have a tourist visa.

I don't quite understand why this went down like this anyway. Almost no one boards a plane to Mexico with an FMM already in their possession, unless they are a temp or permanent resident, in which case they will have the other half of the FMM form that was retained by them when they flew out of Mexico.

Otherwise all tourists fill out the FMM form on the plane when they are passed out. And it is paid for as a separate charge on your ticket when you purchase it.

If you are a Mexican resident or citizen, you need to call the airline before you purchase the ticket and find out how they deduct the tourism tax. Some airlines deduct it when you purchase the ticket, in which case you have to book through their ticketing agent on the phone, not online. Some airlines reimburse it when you send a copy of your Mexican passport or residency card to their refunds department.

And some airlines will tell you they never heard of such a thing, in which case you inform them that it is illegal to add tourism tax to non-tourists and they will then either connect you with someone more knowlegable, or direct you to their refunds dept.

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by surabi]

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 05:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Thursday we have to fly down to Jalisco for a family event, my little bride comes from there....

So, having a valid FMM in my travel bag, purchased a couple months ago in Tecate for 500 pesos, and having a wife that is Mexico born, guess what??

Yep, American Airlines says I must have an FMM for each of us, nicely available on line for the tidy sum of $45 each, and yes, to be gathered up upon departure to preclude any further use.

And, of course, the extra irony, even though she carries a US passport the officials at the Baja border FMM office just wave her along "You are a Mexican, just keep moving along senora"

Grrrrrr.

Actually, the fmm is single-entry visa. Mexico land borders sometime let things slide and allow multiple entries on one fmm.. the airlines follow the law and treat fmm as single entry form.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 07:55 AM

Goat,

Actually you’re wrong!(Imagine that!) The terrestrial visa says multiple entry and is good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is a single entry visa also good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is surrendered upon departure! You can have both visas at the same time! I have had both several times!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 08:20 AM

Rfclark, it might be helpful if you post the text on the FMM that
addresses multiple entries.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 08:30 AM

The second "M" is for multiple, indicating that it is used for multiple purposes.

I was asked once how long I would be in Mexico, and I told the agent "Only three weeks, but I would be returning a couple of months after that for another visit". He filled in 180 days and issued it to me with no mention of turning it in at the end of my first visit.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
The applicant acknowledges herein that the FMM has a maximum validity of 180 calendar days and shall be valid for one entry only.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by Purdyd]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

Actually you’re wrong!(Imagine that!) The terrestrial visa says multiple entry and is good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is a single entry visa also good for up to 180 days! The fly in visa is surrendered upon departure! You can have both visas at the same time! I have had both several times!

Show me a fmm form or regulation that says form is good for multiple entries.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:11 AM

Here you go! In Spanish on the Mexican Government Site!

Air only one entry!

Land multiple entries!

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:17 AM

In Spanish, for a Terrestre FMM:

El solicitante se da por enterado que la FMM tiene una vigencia máxima de 180 días naturales y podrá utilizarla para una sola internación.

In English, for a Land FMM:

"The applicant acknowledges herein that the FMM has a maximum validity of 180 calendar days and shall be valid for one entry only."

These are from the links above, one in English, the other Spanish.

John

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:41 AM

Unlike the flying FMM, nobody collects the the driving FMM when you leave Mexico. Nobody in Mexico City knows if you leave before the 180 day period, so you simply use it as long as it is valid. But, by all means, buy a new one each time you go to Mexico.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:42 AM

From Bajabound.com

“ Can I use my FMM for multiple entries?

While the old law said that FMM tourist permits were only valid for one use into Mexico, the INM has recently said that FMM tourist permits can be used for multiple entries in and out of Mexico, through the end date of the permit.”

As with much else in Mexico the rules are often ambiguous! The changes seem to stem from 2015 when the free zones were dropped and the free 7 day FMM was required!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:45 AM

Personal experience being stopped in Baja Sur by INM my FMM and stamped passport were deemed valid!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:51 AM

How is your Spanish Rf?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:54 AM

In 2016-2017, I bought two FMMs and made seven border crossings and drove over 12,000 miles in Baja. I was not asked to show either of them at any time... But, I was covered if I was!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:54 AM

Laws are unenforced, unequally enforced, or mis-enforced daily here in the United States. Any wonder it happens in other countries?

Still, try using Bajabound or personal experience as your defense in a court of law in Mexico. What do you think a judge would say?

After he stops laughing, of course.

John

[Edited on 5-31-2022 by John Harper]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 09:55 AM

There was a post fb, on a guy going thru Mexicali West,
I assume crossing on off hrs. Had 14 people with him. They
requested the free 7 day fmm, were denied, Officer said
the 7 day had to be pre printed. They all paid for the 180 day
fmm. Told the bank was closed, they paid cash, no receipt.
So, if the Officer wanted, he could pocket the $500 usd,
and enter 15 free fmm's into the system. The newer program
that allows expired fmm holders, the chance to get temp
residency, a Mex facilitator found a guy's 180 day fmm
had been entered asa free 7 day fmm. I mistakenly believed
Mex Imm was a bit above this

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2022 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Unlike the flying FMM, nobody collects the the driving FMM when you leave Mexico. Nobody in Mexico City knows if you leave before the 180 day period, so you simply use it as long as it is valid. But, by all means, buy a new one each time you go to Mexico.

The OP was complaining that international flight into mexico was charging him for a visa, and airline was not following the informal customs and lax enforcement common of land xings.
Land xing is less formal, so we “recycle” our FMMs until they expire,… doesn’t mean it’s legal! But it is economical, and is good for us that live by the credo reduce-reuse-recycle

Woke!

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.