BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Grey whales and Whale sharks
colly

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 03:07 AM
Grey whales and Whale sharks

So finally getting to book my bucket list trip Grey Whale watching next year, also realized I can tick off 2 bucket trips as I could go snorkeling with Whale Sharks in La Paz.

I don't know if to take an organised trip with Cabo trek, Loreto, Magdalena bay, La Paz then it goes onto Cabo it does cover all the things I want but itinerary is tight.

Or to self drive from Loreto to Magdalena bay (or San Ignacio depending on recommendations)

Primary hope is to see Grey Whales up close but whilst I'm there ticking off Whale sharks is also a desire. I will be solo female from the UK, comfortable driving but conscious how tiring that may be, was hoping for 2 -3 nights camping shore side and min 4 grey whale outings then off to see Whale shark / Humpbacks etc.

Magdalena bay seemed sensible as it is only approx 2 hrs from Loreto.
But I've been told San Ignacio has higher concentration of whales as the bay is smaller so its worth the drive.
Q - where is best whale watching option, I've heard mixed things about each bay, and can anyone recommend a travel consultant who could put me an itinerary together if I choose to self drive ?

Any other areas other than La Paz I could go Whale Shark watching, closer north for example to enable San Ignacio with less driving ?
Should I go with Loreto, La Paz and either of the Whale watching bays and skip cabo altogether ?
So many options I'm struggling to choose.

Scoped flights via Phoenix into Loreto at present as San Diego and drive to La Paz seems a trek and I've heard the roads can be challenging.

First looked at the is trip 2014 then life got in the way so want to get it booked soon. Any advise appreciated.

[Edited on 6-11-2022 by colly]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 06:07 AM

Welcome to Nomad!
Great plans to visit Baja's wildlife... but...
Grey whales come in the winter and whale sharks (I think) are mostly in the summer?
I am sure more knowledgeable Nomads will come forward!

If you are in Arizona, you would not want to come to San Diego... drive south to Yuma and cross into San Luis Rio Colorado or Algodones and take Hwy. 2-D west to Hwy. 5 and go south, through San Felipe and on to Hwy. 1. The road is excellent, all paved since 2020, and that will save you hours and hundreds of miles.

Here is from the 2010 AAA Baja map showing the Mexicali Valley Roads:

Get the Benchmark Maps Baja California Road & Recreation Atlas (2021) for the most up-to-date road maps and recreation guide. The main maps in it are also available as a download app for your smart phone from Avenza.
Baja Atlas, discounted: https://www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas
Avenza app: https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1250162/baja-california-atla...

[Edited on 6-11-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 06:33 AM

The La Paz whale-shark season runs annually from October to May.

Harald Pietschmann
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 07:21 AM

If you’re considering self driving, cross the border (Mexicali east POE) and drive the 2 1/2 hours +/- to San Felipe. Next day drive down Mex 5 to Guerrero Negro. Book a trip to whale watch the California Grays with Shari Bondy (Whale Magic Tours). From there to San Ignacio is about 1 1/2 hours drive time where you can drive out to the lagoon and see more grays. From the town of San Ignacio to Loreto is about 3 1/2 hours drive time. (Note that the military checkpoints may add additional time). Loreto is where you can see more whales (both greys and humpbacks) along with whale sharks. Depending on your time available, and if you’re willing to rough it and camp (at least part of the time), there’s a ton of beautiful places along the way (Bahía de Los Angeles, Santa Rosalia, San Lucas Cove, Mulegé, Bahía Concepción, Loreto, La Paz, the East Cape and Los Cabos all on the Cortez side. Bahía Asunción, La Bocana, Punta Abreojos, Lopez Mateos, Puerto San Carlos, Todos Santos all on the Pacific side). U2U me for more info if you wish, I usually drive down twice a year for our clinic in La Paz. Mex 5 is a nice road and an easy drive, Mex 1 can be a bit hairy here and there. Feliz viaje.

[Edited on 6-11-2022 by boe4fun]

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 08:37 AM

I recommend San Ignacio lagoon. The lagoon has the best vibe, the whale watching camps are remote, and have an eco-vibe. It is also a beautiful area, undeveloped. San Ignacio town is also a great little stop, pretty old buildings/town square, and the “slowest town” in baja.

If coming from UK, and arriving in so cal or phoenix, you may prefer the drive down Hwy 1 instead of Hwy 5, as Hwy 5 is just bleak desert, and Hwy 1 takes you thru Ensenada (good city) and Catavina (great desert area). There is more traffic on 1, but it is more scenic.
If you fly into la paz or loreto, you might enjoy santa Rosalia, loreto and mulege towns. La paz is OK, but the other mentioned towns are smaller and better stops.
The whale sharks are OK experience, but the whale sharks are oblivious beasts that really don’t interact with you. The experience of snorkeling next to a big fish that ignores you gets old after a few minutes.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Goat has never driven down Hwy. 5 it would seem? Maybe he hates islands, Gonzaga Bay, or Coco's Corner?

Dk: thank you for supporting my argument. If The best to offer on Hwy 5 includes coco’s corner,…. It is clear that Hwy 1 is the better choice!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 11:41 AM

Don't be such a hater and discriminate against the double amputee handicapped Coco.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2022 at 04:37 PM

Hi Colly and welcome to the Baja Nomad sandbox! Each lagoon is different but Laguna Ojo de Liebre is the principle calving lagoon with upwards of 2,000 whales and is the largest lagoon so whale watching boats are distributed in 3 different viewing areas which means fewer boats around whales.

We operate in the middle lagoon which is the most protected and thick with friendly whales.
Maybe go to both San Ignacio and Guerrero Negro while you are here to do your bucket list activities.
I sent you a U2U private message with more info.
enjoy your trip no matter where you end up!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
colly

[*] posted on 6-12-2022 at 02:11 AM

Thanks so much for the info guys. I'll dig into all the info and hopefully get something booked before I miss the opportunity. Much appreciated.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.