BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: The California exodus continues as residents head south of the border
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 07:43 AM

And it's true I was raised in a rural supportive environment and my personal views are tainted by that experience. I recently did a trip through upper Montana and noted every time i pulled over to the side of the road to take a break, at least the third vehicle by would stop to ask if I needed help or directions. These people represented to me those " uneducated Rednecks" the privileged elite like to disparage. I would not want to compare that lifestyle with what exists today in the more populated economically advantaged areas in the US. So people will naturally search for more accepting areas to live in, not necessarily fleeing what is less so.
This pretty much sums up why we were drawn to Baja as we noted the locals exhibited much the same priorities.

[Edited on 6-15-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
JC43 (and Others!

Republics, the US is a Republic, are messy no two ways about it! If trains running on time are your thing and executions by organ transplant don't bother you the PRC is your kind of place!
[Edited on 6-14-2022 by RFClark]

Somehow correct / but only somehow. If the development continues like right now, CA will be renamed in the future as "Peoples Lepublic of China, distlict of Notel Amelican" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 07:49 AM

Canuckie:
While the rules sound annoying, they sound minor relative to appropriate causes to uproot and move to an undeveloped region like baja.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
JC43 (and Others!

Republics, the US is a Republic, are messy no two ways about it! If trains running on time are your thing and executions by organ transplant don't bother you the PRC is your kind of place!
[Edited on 6-14-2022 by RFClark]

Somehow correct / but only somehow. If the development continues like right now, CA will be renamed in the future as "Peoples Lepublic of China, distlict of Notel Amelican" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Uh, oh, now you have resorted to racist mocking of foreign languages… not good.

I am more impressed with Chinese that learn a second language like English. Perhaps you should learn to speak and read mandarin or Cantonese before you mock Chinese people that speak English as a second language.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 08:14 AM

I highly encourage people to leave SoCal. Please. Go. Adios.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 08:25 AM
And then there is the County.....

In Nevada county they have gone overboard with restrictions and requirements for what you can build on your own property. I have long dreamed of building a modest house on the property my grandfather bought before I was born, but it looks like I would be spending 30 to 50K before I would be able to break ground.

Setting up a place to park an RV for occasional use is illegal unless you have already gone through the extremely expensive process of securing a building permit, for a much more complicated structure than you need, or want!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 09:07 AM

Same happening here Akgringo. It's illegal to allow a homeless person to occupy an RV on your 2 acre rural property, but it's increasingly common to ignore and despise the shopping cart people sleeping in alleys and under bridges downtown.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 09:47 AM

If the development continues like right now, CA will be renamed in the future as "Peoples Lepublic of China, distlict of Notel Amelican" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Prime example of what is wrong with the US. You find your own racism hilariously funny.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 10:20 AM

Yes, but in jc43’s case it’s someone who doesn't do well in English mocking others who have problems with English.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 10:23 AM

Goat,

All journeys start with the same 1st step. Baja’s no harder than anywher else to move to!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 11:23 AM

Am I the only one who sees a heart in the people of Baja that somehow has been lost in our own culture as we became more and more economically advantaged? We are not "fleeing" our culture but embracing one we admire.
When my wife was struggling with a walker in Baja, streetside vendors would quickly provide their seats so she could take a break, give up their seats on public transportation, or help her cross the roads. I was struck by how many would prompt their children to stand on the transports so us "seniors"could sit and be more comfortable. I watch them treat their own seniors with the same respect and honour them as well.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 12:05 PM

Yes, but in jc43’s case it’s someone who doesn't do well in English mocking others who have problems with English.

I am not mocking Chinese people who cannot pronaunce the "R". That is kinda nature of the Chinese. Asmuch as the French people cannot pronaounce the "H". But as you are badmouthing me this is my question to you: Can you speak French perfectly? Without accent?? Or German? Or Chinese? This is what the world knows about languages: If you speak 3 languages you are either from Israel or Germany or another highly edjucated country. If you speak two langueges you are from Africa, Asia or Northern Europe. If you speak only one language, you are for certain a Gringo. :light::light::light:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 01:30 PM

:D:D:D:D:D
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 02:10 PM

Over the last couple of decades I have had the opportunity to meet and talk with lots and lots of gringos moving south into Mexico and their reasons used to be mostly getting away from the crowds and traffic as well as seeking a slower pace of life with affordable access to the sea.

That has been changing and it seems like over the last 4 or 5 years, the one reason I hear most now is that they are tired of all the political fighting going on that has divided them from their close friends and even their own families. They just don't want to listen to that any more and I would say they were probably fairly evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats.

I am tired of it too and probably the single reason I don't spend much time here anymore. Looking at the stats, it appears that I am not alone...

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Am I the only one who sees a heart in the people of Baja that somehow has been lost in our own culture as we became more and more economically advantaged? We are not "fleeing" our culture but embracing one we admire.
When my wife was struggling with a walker in Baja, streetside vendors would quickly provide their seats so she could take a break, give up their seats on public transportation, or help her cross the roads. I was struck by how many would prompt their children to stand on the transports so us "seniors"could sit and be more comfortable. I watch them treat their own seniors with the same respect and honour them as well.

Very true. Many here are the most humble, caring ( as you see them with family) and truly honest people around. Granted there exceptions as we all know.

What frightens me is, the present culture of “gringos“ moving here with their attitudes, and frankly MAGAot, beliefs. I have seen it over the past 20 years of living her full time and married to a “patrona“. Gringo attitudes have went from decent to super annoying.
The culture of Trumpism is defiantly starting to show its ugly face down here, and I am constantly questioned if I am a Trump “supporter“, as from where I sit, it is a question asked with eyes on me.

To all considering moving down here, it is awesome! I wouldn't change a thing. Just PLEASE leave the “D“umster, and all the attitudes that come with being a MAGAot at the door when you cross.

We, as people are no better, or worse as humans than Mexican people. Just don't try and change who they are to be like you.

Favorite quote from Gringos that I constantly hear... “why don't they learn to speak English?

Really:rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-15-2022 by charliemanson]

[Edited on 6-16-2022 by BajaNomad]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 05:56 PM

CJ43,

My experience in France is that people there don’t think the french who live down the road 50KM speak French! The thing they all agree on is that what ever they speak in Quebec isn’t French at all!

Personally I speak American English plus several technical sub-sets that might be considered separate languages by those who don’t understand them. I also speak reasonable Mexican Spanish and when I was in a different line of work long ago fair Russian. I speak all of them, including English with an accent!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 07:26 PM

I am not mocking Chinese people who cannot pronaunce the "R". That is kinda nature of the Chinese.

Making fun of the the pronunciation of a non-native English speaker is exactly the definition of mocking them.
Claiming you aren't racist means nothing when your words prove otherwise and you don't care about offending the people you are mocking.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 09:50 PM

How did you get from people leaving Calif ? to this Baja Blow hard at there best. :?:
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We saw that program on TV, shocking how many are leaving but in San Diego, you cannot rent a studio for less than $1500+ and its only 450 sq feet of space. Prices for groceries, over the top expensive. I am very glad I don't have little kids and live there.

We moved to Turkiye this year after 16 years in BCS, as most of you are aware. So many ex-pats are moving here and buying that the gvt has decided to limit the # of foreigners in any given area to 25%. No more resident permits will be given over that percentage.

Very few American and thousands of Brits, as well as Scandinavians with the latest influx being Russians and Ukranians. We are in the smallish city of Alanya and there are 10,000 ex-pats in our social media group. What a change from La Bocana where we were total foreigners and nowadays number around 15.

Interesting post to say the least. Is there any country in the world I know less about and am more interested in learning more about than Turkey? Have you yet traveled to Istanbul? Looking forward to more reports on what you learn there as you delve into the history and waves of cyclical civilization as it developed there.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2022 at 11:13 PM

I admire Turkey’s leader Recep Erdogan. He doesn’t take any guff from the US and goes his own way in the best interests of his country. Turkey is a very interesting part of the world.

[Edited on 6-16-2022 by LancairDriver]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.