Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege Cafe Reviews
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 05:54 AM
Mulege Cafe Reviews

A line of thought started up a bit ago...Mulege cafe reviews..hmm. We all eat out now and then..although our home cooks/chefs are the best for sure. But it's nice to go out and join friends for some delicious meals around the area...What do you think?

I am going to reinterate what I wrote on Sharksbaja's topic Muleges' Local Economy...where I got a little off-topic, which is usual as ever. This is about cafes, menus, ambiance, etc...about eating out and why you make your choices of where and what?

MY personal Mulege cafe weekly lineup is...

Note: Saturday night at the Serinadad Pig Roast used to be 'thee' place to go in Mulege. The roast pig was secondary to the 'gathering'...everyone for miles around, locals, foreign residents, pilots, and tourists alike would congregate herer for drinks, dancing, and gossip-catch-up for the last week. It was 'The Event'. Nobody went just for the food...it was purely social. List this as 'Back in the Good Ol' Days'.

Sunday: Chinese food at Eduardo's across from downtown Pemex. Good selections...and take home boxes, of course.

Mon: ?What say you?..put choices here.

Tues: ?What say you?

Wed: Eduardo's again...this time for Bar-B-Q Ribs.

Thur: Jungle Jim's for chile rellenos. Good bar, but bring
your own wine. Has new fireproof roof..ask why.

Fri: Pelicano Bar & Grill for filet mignon.

Sat: Mornings for carnitas at Ramon's small cafe (sadly,
Ramon has passed on, but Antonio and Lorena
carry on the tradition.) Order some ranchero soup,
too. Ribs are great take-homes.

Most of these cafes have 'reasonably good food..but the main course is the social activity that presents itself..at least for me. Really, really good food you get at home! Thanks to that great chef..your spouse/significant other.

WELL...that's a start. What are your choices for eating out and what makes you choose them? Food, ambiance, people, ...???

Phil S..on the other thread you wondered about some places? The first place with the coconut shrimp has to be 'Ray's' at Santispac. We have ate there a lot since he first opened a few years back, but not much this year.

The 'butt-biting-parrot' was in the Hacienda Hotel and cafe with inside fireplace. The bugger gave me some permanent marks!! A lot of different cafe operators over the years..Aaron, Jean-Pierre, Alfonso, David, always a good time and now houses the new Pelican Bar & Grill run by Pearce and Val. When you were there, it was probably known as 'Casablanca'.

The downtown bar/cafe with backyard plants sounds like the El Candil. Has gotten better since Saul took over the kitchen.

El Nino's in Mulege was only open for a short time many, many years ago. Ramon (of 'carnitas' fame) ran it until his pickup accident..after that it just closed. Owned by same person as in Loreto and San Felipe, I believe. Nothing happening there yet, but I imagine economics timing is a factor.

Those pork tacos you are daydreaming about are Ramon's..courtesy now of Antonio y Lorena.

What are some other choices for the Mulege area? And why?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 07:05 AM

the restaurant on the highway south of town past the Pemex and before el Tiberone is good and economical big portions of traditional Mexican cooking. I'm sorry I don't know the name or even if it has one but it will be the one with ll the trucks parked in :tumble:front.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 08:08 AM
cafe reviews

although its not in Mulege , the best Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at was Murillos in Vacaville , Ca. Not the one by the Nut Tree but the little hole in the wall downtown . I bring this up because operating a restaurant is hard enough in the states let alone Baja where ingredient supplies and the flow of potential customers are un predictable.

Their fare was simple , affordable and consistent being basic tacos , burritos, enchiladas ,rellenos rice and beans. Damn good beans too. Everything was always served fresh on a blistering hot plate .The only variance to the menu was your choice of meats for the fillings. Just good , hearty simple food that most days you stood in line for at peak hours.

My point is that for success down south I have never understood why more places don't follow this example. The attempts at providing a fancy menu and maintaining a fiesta ambiance are unrealistic and unsustainable. Camarone's al mojo de ajo or bistek tampequena con rajas de poblano is just fine but in a fairly isolated little berg like Mulege, with an endemic retired population as the customer base, it is not going to keep them coming back often enough to pay the bills.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 08:20 AM

Bajalero...I think lots residents and non-residents of Mulege would agree that our most popular places are indeed those that serve what we consider traditional Mexican foods...simple and tasty country dishes that are still served plain style if you know where to find them. Not discounting the new additions of some very good chefs, I have my favorites for what I consider tasty Old Baja cooking...where are yours in Mulege?

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bruce...that's the 'Carmelita' where I get my burritos to go for a day's fishing sometimes. Never had anything else there, though.

Pompano I'm not sure we are talking about the same place . the one I'm talking about is the new one on the right side going south just before you git to el Tiburon. they have screens on all the windows to keep the flys out and they serve a full menu of breakfast and dinners. also tacos and burritos.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 09:05 AM
Pompano

When I'm in Mulege I usually end up at Sauls' simply because I've known him since "the chivato days" He does a darn good job at offering -for what Iwould call - a busy menu for Baja. I have no complaints as to his food but in all honesty it lacks a developed taste ("country" as you put it) Could be that his food is too fresh if you know what I mean.

I've eaten at several of the downtown places but none so memorable that I made an effort to remember names . Do not think I've tried Jungle Jims but will have to after everyone touting his rellenos- so I can compare them to mine which are the best blah blah...

Where do you suggest for simple , homestyle mexican country food in Mulege?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bruce..still sure that's the new 24/7 truck stop called Carmelita. Will double check next time by there. I remember it because it is close to where I was ripped-off by a mechanic shop on my Minnie Winnie, Jeep, etc. Avoid that place.

yes that is the one . they have grate dinners and breakfast.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 11:38 AM
Burro Beach Bombed

out when I tried the little local cafe there. Really, it wasn't all that bad, just wasn't hot. The waitress who I had been told was the lady in charge was very icy. She spoke not one word as I recall. Was it Berthas or ???? something with a B.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 07:07 PM

Pompano re: Meli's

Is that on "the right" coming in to town from the south or north? Thanks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 04:51 AM
Bajalero...

Meli's cafe is maybe a hundred yards after you make the turn into Mulege from the 'Y'..past the beer off-sale, over a speed bump, and it's right there....on the right. He has a few outside stools at a counter and more inside seating at tables. Lots of locals eat there.

As a lot of cafe owners in Mulege did, he worked years ago at the Serinadad. I knew him there when he worked at the front desk.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 06:16 AM

Meli's...

From the outside you may not stop there but....rest assured you WILL LIKE Meli's

On Saturdays he barbarques chicken.....Excellent!!!

Check out the paintings on the walls inside....

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 06:20 AM
Dony's? (sp)

5 or 6 years ago I stopped and had fish taco's at Dony's (spelling?) and they were very good. If I recall, it was on the main drag next to a tortillaria. Is he still around?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
5 or 6 years ago I stopped and had fish taco's at Dony's (spelling?) and they were very good. If I recall, it was on the main drag next to a tortillaria. Is he still around?

yes and it is good and econo. they have our ex breakfast cook. and serve a good breakfast also.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:15 AM

Bruce, To which restaurant are you connected and how? Sorry, I'm so not with it, but I thought you were only involved in "financial" things. I love your posts and can't believe some of your "mistakes" aren't deliberate. They are so perfect!!!:rolleyes:

Live, love and be happy.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:37 AM

Annie Our restaurant is closed and for sale. we closed right after 9 11 when the business slowed way down. and now that it is back we are not going to reopen because we need to relocate to La Paz for family reasons. we may open a restaurant in La Paz or stay with the financial services we don't know it depends on the location we git down there.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 10:23 AM
Saturday night at Equipales and square...

Saturday evening we joined another couple and their visiting daughter to eat dinner at Francisco's Equipales in Mulege. This is the second floor restaurant on the one-way street going out of downtown Mulege across from Anna's gift store. Of the 5 of us..we had 4 lobster and 1 shrimp dinners with a round of margaritas and coffee kahlua's. The host, Francisco was charming as usual and the waiters were polite and prompt...a nice casual atmosphere to enjoy a good meal and have conversation.

Francisco has always been known for a great lobster dinner..and this, along with the appetizers, and celery soup made for a meal that was almost too much to eat. (But somehow I managed;D) Cost of dinner, drinks, and tip for 5 was $1400 pesos or about $28 US per person. Not bad for a lobster dinner and libations!

After dinner we strolled to the village square for some ice cream and a walk around the plaza under the bouganvillas. A nice evening out in Mulege.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 11:18 AM

Did I say Mulege restaurants in Mulege lack creativity and innovation ? Last night after a good meal at the pelican Reef My family and I thought we would try the desert of the day. and were we in for a surprise. we were served cheese cake with a raspberry chepulti sauce. this sauce is made with raspberry's and chepulti peppers that are jalape?os smoked they have a distinctive strong and are vary spicy hot. since I can tolerate very hot and spicy food I ended up eating most of it while my wife and kids were trying to git enough water to put out the fire. I haven't had a chance to talk to scotty yet about his latest creation. but I cant help think that this must be some sort of accident. like the can of chillies fell in to the raspberry sauce or something like that. now don't git me wrong this is one of my favorite restaurants in Mulege and they do a good job on almost everything. but these two flavors do not go together at all nor do they in any way complement each other .when we saw it on the menu I thought it was a mistake so we asked the waitress about it and she assured us that it must be a mistake on the menu so we ordered it and sure enough. now I need to complement them for trying new things.and being creative but they need to taste new things and let the waitress sample before they put it to the public.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 12:19 PM
?????

What is the difference in Meli's and Dony's.
Carnitas at Ramons on Sat are excellent.
I still like Serenidad for certain dishes....shrimp pasta for one.
Is there a place to eat at Saul's, I thought that it was just a grocery store(with killer steaks I might add)

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 12:36 PM

Meli's is the first cafe you come to on the right as you enter Mulege from the 'Y'. Dony's is actually the carnitas cafe past the center of town...past Casa Yee ....next to the third little plaza as you head towards Saul's tienda. Which answers your other question about eating at Saul's. Saul Davis owns the grocery store...no cafe there. The other 'Saul' is the proprietor of La Palapa and El Candil cafes.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-10-2005 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Did I say Mulege restaurants in Mulege lack creativity and innovation ? Last night after a good meal at the pelican Reef My family and I thought we would try the desert of the day. and were we in for a surprise. we were served cheese cake with a raspberry chepulti sauce. this sauce is made with raspberry's and chepulti peppers that are jalape?os smoked they have a distinctive strong and are vary spicy hot. since I can tolerate very hot and spicy food I ended up eating most of it while my wife and kids were trying to git enough water to put out the fire. I haven't had a chance to talk to scotty yet about his latest creation. but I cant help think that this must be some sort of accident. like the can of chillies fell in to the raspberry sauce or something like that. now don't git me wrong this is one of my favorite restaurants in Mulege and they do a good job on almost everything. but these two flavors do not go together at all nor do they in any way complement each other :

You can buy a very good raspberry/chipotle sauce at Costco and I have seen it at other stores also. I make my own using raspberry preserves and Pepper Plant brand chipotle sauce made in Gilroy, Ca. Good stuff!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.