BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I’m happier than a pig in slop!
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 06:05 AM
I’m happier than a pig in slop!

Just picked up my (new to me) 10’ Alaskan Camper. I know it sounds crazy, but I drove (with my wife Shelley) from Central Coastal California to Cincinnati to get this gem. Any of you who know about Alaskans know of the craftsmanship and care put into these beauties, and this one is a shining example. But since we were going on a road trip anyway, we stopped off to visit our daughter and her family for a few days near Sandy Eggo, and today we’ll continue our trip down from Kentucky to Memphis to visit our son and his family. Beale Street and Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken awaits! Life is good (especially on the road!).

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:10 AM

Congratulations Paul! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Just picked up my (new to me) 10’ Alaskan Camper. I know it sounds crazy, but I drove (with my wife Shelley) from Central Coastal California to Cincinnati to get this gem. Any of you who know about Alaskans know of the craftsmanship and care put into these beauties, and this one is a shining example. But since we were going on a road trip anyway, we stopped off to visit our daughter and her family for a few days near Sandy Eggo, and today we’ll continue our trip down from Kentucky to Memphis to visit our son and his family. Beale Street and Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken awaits! Life is good (especially on the road!).

10’ Sounds like a big camper. How long is PU bed for such a monster? What does unit weigh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:58 AM

http://alaskancampers.com/10-cabover/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 08:08 AM

The neighbors next to me have one, and they love it! They load, and unload it from their truck in just minutes, and probably send half the year on the road.

I don't know how old it is, but it has been on a couple of different trucks since I have known them.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 08:43 AM

Build quality is increasingly rare in RVs in recent years. Congrats on the score.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:15 PM

didnt you already have an Alaskan camper on your truck...whatcha gonna do with the old one?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  

10’ Sounds like a big camper. How long is PU bed for such a monster? What does unit weigh?

It’s mounted on a 2005 GMC 3500 crew cab, 4X4, long bed, with a 6.6 L Duramax diesel (single rear tires). Weight is unknown to me, but prolly around 1900 pounds dry.

[Edited on 7-18-2022 by boe4fun]

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
didnt you already have an Alaskan camper on your truck...whatcha gonna do with the old one?

Yup, it was a 1989 8’ cabover which now sits in my kids driveway in Poway. They are painstakingly refurbishing what I couldn’t finish before turning it over to them. Mi yerno, Jonathan, fell in love with it when I took him down to seven sisters over a Thanksgiving holiday a few years back, and my daughter Courtney loved the all wood interior the minute she stood inside (ceiling height is 6’ 4”).

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 09:10 PM

Could you post some pictures? They are amazing campers with some wonderful woodwork.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 12:55 AM

You will be traveling in style now Paul!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Could you post some pictures? They are amazing campers with some wonderful woodwork.

I tried but was unable to post pictures, maybe DK can walk me through that process?
1984 Alaskan Camper - It Raises It Lowers - Asking $5000 OBO - $5,000 (Cherry Grove Ohio)
‹image 1 of 24›

1984 Alaskan 10' 

condition: good 
fuel: other 
paint color: white 
rv type: truck camper 
title status: clean 
transmission: other 

I have my 10' Alaskan Camper for sale. These are somewhat rare east of the Mississippi and are still manufactured in the state of Washington. I am the 4th owner of this camper and this is my 3rd and largest Alaskan. I've owned this for over 7 years and for 38 years old it is in very good condition with no leaks or issues. This is a hard wall camper and uses a hydraulic system to raise and lower the upper portion of the camper and provides 6' of interior headroom. I have repaired and replaced everything except the camper itself, including a hydraulic push button lift system and 175 watt solar power system. Because this is an old school camper, it is easily maintained and customized to fit your needs if you are handy. It has a 1 year old Dometic Coolmatic CRX-1080U/F 78 Liter AC/DC Refrigerator and the solar system with NEW 100 amp hour deep cycle battery keeps it running without hook up to shore power. All LED lights throughout and USB charging outlets. It has 20 gallons of water storage, a porta-potty, and a propane counter top 3 burner stove with 2 propane tanks included. The only thing that requires propane is the stove and the catalytic wall heater . A 12 volt flat panel TV with DVD player built-in and a roof top amplified antenna. Sleeps four with newer cushions and mattress 2 on the upper bed and 2 on the dinette. Lots of storage throughout the camper. Check out the pictures...this has been a wonderful fishing and hunting camper and because the top lowers with a 4x4 truck it can be taken places other campers can only dream of going.

It DOES REQUIRE at least a 3/4 ton LONG (8') bed pickup truck with the tail gate down. This is a 10 foot long camper and 4 Reico/Titan jacks are included to get it off/on your truck and a set of FastGuns to hold it down. You will need to have some way to secure this to your truck. I will not be held responsible for your failure to properly load and secure this camper to your truck. This is a heavy camper and when you have it loaded with your gear, water and propane it is around 1800 lbs so don't expect to slap it on a small pickup truck, it won't fit, but you could mount it on a trailer though. I originally had it on a Silverado 2500 with HD shocks and air bags and it rode just fine. I have included a photo of it mounted on my 2000 Chevy 3500 for reference. These are older pictures and show a boat rack with solar panels mounted on it all of the other pictures were taken this week and show the current condition of the camper. The boat rack and older solar panels have been removed and a 175 watt flexible Renogy solar panel has been mounted in its place. I have also installed dually extension brackets so that it can be mounted on dual wheel pickups. It works for my dually, but no guarantees for yours but should work fine. It is mounted in the truck with the tail gate down and has included a custom folding step system that is held firmly in place by the camper itself.

You will need to pick this up at my location. No delivery is available.  

Is it perfect? No - it's a 1984 so there are some dents and dings that I inherited when I purchased it and I have done all that I have been able to do to keep it in good usable condition. Original owners manual included along with all of the other applicable manuals. If you are interested in looking at this in person, I will be happy to show it to you between the hours of 9 AM and 7 PM by appointment ONLY. Contact me by calling 513-Eight-Nine-1 One Six 4 Zero to schedule. 

Sent from my iPhone

[Edited on 7-19-2022 by boe4fun]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.