Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My lost thread
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 04:25 PM
My lost thread

I seem to have mispaced my thread titled "Best Stuck Story" in the off roading section. I was trying to remove a picture to make it smaller and the thread including all responses seems to have disappeared. I hope that someone can help retrieve this thread or remind me where I left it. Thanks guys.
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 09:27 PM

JR Baja sad to say but it sounds like you "may" have deleted your post when trying to edit the pic. Though I don't remember the post. Sounds like something of interest. Have seen you rescue of the military "STUCK" pic.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
I seem to have mispaced my thread titled "Best Stuck Story" in the off roading section. I was trying to remove a picture to make it smaller and the thread including all responses seems to have disappeared. I hope that someone can help retrieve this thread or remind me where I left it. Thanks guys.

It appears that you have deleted the thread.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 09:36 PM

Here's all I can find cached on Google:

Ski Baja:

OK then, yer stuck with it.
Years ago, while on a surf/Hussongs trip to San Miguel, I thought my 73 FJ40 was invincible. And after leaving Hussongs, I thought I was too. We headed back to Sam Miguel and I decided to take the river bed back to the beach.
Now back in those days, that beach used to be one of the most popular places to camp and there were usually a lot of good looking girls around as well as lot's of other people too.
So, we get closer to the campground and beach and right up next to the campground in the river bed and sink. And I mean sunk. Well, this river bed had a layer of dirt and dust about an inch thick and below that was everything that came out of their sewer, from the public restrooms and the park.
Not only are we asphixiated and gagging from the smell but it stirred up so much stuff that the whole area smelled of this crap. Needless to say, we were not only the laughing stock but quite unpopular as well. And there were a lot of people with nothing better to do than watch the Off Road Dumbasses.
So I get out and immediately lose my sandals in the first 2 steps. I then cut my foot on something trying to get through this muck. Yikes ! I make it through all this smelly gunk to the camp area and get somebody with a winch and rinse out the foot.
Back out to the Toy and hook up the winch cable and get pulled out and head straight to the surf with a full bottle of Tequila and proceed to use the whole bottle rinsing out the cut. Well, most of it anyway!
Then, if you have been stuck in mud, you are aware of what a vehicle looks like after such an incident. Well, the only thing missing on mine was toilet paper and corn! And what an odor. Unbearable!
So, down to the surf to race up and down the beach trying to water blast all this stuff off the vehicle. That pretty much worked. at least bearable enough to get home with for a real disinfecting.
That was a fun trip! I don't drive in riverbeds next to campgrounds by the beach anymore. My foot never even got infected because of either the interior or exterior Tequila. And I had another stupid stuck story to tell.. PU

mcgyver:

Worst Stuck!!

No doubt its been done before but its always an entertaining subject in Baja. I have heard some doozes!!
Here's mine: Living in San Telmo during a wet period my Samauri was really dirty, about a mile north of the village, just a mile off of the park road was a ford on the river. Watching the locals stop in the middle of the river I said why not? Driving down in my bathing suit and parking in the middle in about a foot of water I gave it a good scrubbing. Finished, I cranked up and instead of going across to the other bank and turning on dry land, I just made a sweeping U turn! BIG mistake! The crossing was all round rock and tight packed but the the edge dropped off in to 3 foot deep fast moving water! The front dropped in up to the top of the hood instantly and there was no question of getting into 4WD and backing up! The sand was rapidly washing out from under the front wheels and it was just balanced on the edge. Hiking to the park road to go to the village for a tractor, I met a car with 6 UNLV guys heading to the park. They drove down to the river took one look and said no problemo! Wading out they simply picked up the front end and walked it sideways back to the rocks. It cranked right up since I had not ran it under water and I drove it out. Refusing cerveza's or payment they drove off laughing at the old guy trying to drive a 2 foot car in 3 feet of water. Later I saw cars at night miss the crossing entirely and require a 4WD tractor to oull them out. I check now!

Bajabus
I used to get my 28' international bus stuck all the time, just the hard headed Italian in me I guess. What always got me was trying to back up as close as possible and perpendicular to the tide line. Our bedroom was in the very back and we just loved having the water as a view and being lulled to sleep by the surf. My wife was always saying "I think this is close enough" but I always wanted just a few more feet. Inevitably we would sink upon trying to leave. We always had 2 hi-lift jacks, an assortment of wood blocks, short planks and plenty of time. Wrestling a 22,000 pound bus out of the sand is no easy feat but eventually we worked out a routine that involved dumping the grey water tank out to lighten the load and help pack the sand, jack it up with the 2 jacks, place the planks move forward a bit and repeat the whole lifting thing about a dozen times. The worst time was at San pedrito where we sank the sucker right up to the chassis while a bunch of surfers cheered us on then promptly lost themselves when they realized we busted the drain coming off the black water tank......dam what a mess that was. We eventually cajoled them back into helping us by further lightening the bus of 2 coolers full of ballenas. Let me tell you the term "up to my arm pits in *hit" didn't really do justice to the predicament. Thank god most of the surfers there were such hard core beer drinkers with little money or motivation to leave the beach for cold brews. It taught me that a cold beer at the right moment will definitly help you put up with a lot of crap.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 10:01 PM

YA! NOW I remember it --- good tread.:D
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 07:28 PM
Moving threads

Doug, is there any way to move what you have salvaged here to the Off Road section. Hopefully everyone will enjoy these stories as much as I do. And I doubt any of us are done gettting stuck occasionally! Thanks again
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 10:12 PM

I'll copy it over there for you and delete if thats not what you want.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
Doug, is there any way to move what you have salvaged here to the Off Road section. Hopefully everyone will enjoy these stories as much as I do. And I doubt any of us are done gettting stuck occasionally! Thanks again

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/saddles/sounds/work.wav

;)

[Edited on 9-20-2003 by BajaNomad]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.