Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Africa twin
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 08:40 PM
Africa twin

I know we have some moto guys on here, so I'm looking at the Honda Africa twin or Yamaha T7 Tenere. Anyone have one that can share their info? Sat on the Honda today and really liked the feel. I find I use my KTM 500 EXC for most dirt work and the 990 is labor intensive when it comes to servicing it, I want to ride more and work less.
If you have either bike, I'll buy lunch or beers for a test ride.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 09:03 PM

Have you considered the ktm 950? Super nimble. Plenty fast.
I had a 1988 honda transalp. Huge mistake selling it. A lighter more agile version of the Africa twin. Imo. no experience with the Yamaha.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 11:58 PM

I like the 950 but would like to stay with FI, as I get older, I want to ride and not fiddle with stuff. The other issue is all of the 950n stuff is getting a premium now. I might keep my 990 and buy another bike, mine has rally tanks for a total of almost 10 gallons of fuel. It's a very trick 990 but I've become bike curious!
Also starting to build a 1946 chevy truck so less time working on a bike and more ridding is what I'm after.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2022 at 12:51 AM

Just picked up a AT adventure sports non dct. I rode the AT when it was first released and have lead a few tours on the AT. With a little suspension work (Suspension 101 did mine) it works well off road. The dct is easy to ride fast but if you're used to slow technical riding off road you'll find yourself working the rear brake against the transmission. And missing the clutch for wheel lofts etc.

I was originally looking for T7. I rode that before it was released in the US. The motor is really nice and I liked the bike but I don't think the suspension was as good. Granted the bike I rode was on a rtw trip and had a bit of luggage on it. The bike has a nice price point if you can find one. Some of the dealers I talked to were looking for an additional 30% markup and that wasn't happening.

Neither are going to come close to my ktm 450 off road but that's not what they were designed for.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 07:24 AM

I'm no help. Riding on the street scared me.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 09:40 AM

HAHA ED im with you street danger and boring. Either one of the Jap bikes good choice . Less work to keep running then KTMs yes we all know not dirt bikes . Still Fool sport bikes can be fun
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 10:04 AM

What is happening with electric motorcycles now?
I have owned a Tesla model 3 for two years now. The only service I have done is filling the windshield washer. Great handling car and very economical operating costs. I charge it at home for 9.6cent/kw hour to fill the 62kwh battery so it costs $5.95 for approx 300mi Very economical vs todays fuel costs. I use it in a 100 mile radius to avoid charging stations.I have had a Tesla Roadster on order for over a year now and keep getting delivery delay notices so I am thinking of using my Roadster deposit to buy a Tesla Plaid but that is way out also. The number of E cars being sold are sure to max out the grid soon.

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by LancairDriver]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 10:12 AM

they're trying to get their cars out sooner, they even have their own dedicated lane in Nuevo Leon for suppliers!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I have owned a Tesla model 3 for two years now. The only service I have done is filling the windshield washer. Great handling car and very economical operating costs. I charge it at home for 9.6cent/kw hour to fill the 62kwh battery so it costs $5.95 for approx 300mi Very economical vs todays fuel costs. I use it in a 100 mile radius to avoid charging stations.I have had a Tesla Roadster on order for over a year now and keep getting delivery delay notices so I am thinking of using my Roadster deposit to buy a Tesla Plaid but that is way out also. The number of E cars being sold are sure to max out the grid soon.

Off road E motos are still WL useless only because they have no range NO charging places off road. Short runs close to camp fun
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

3 friends have had previous versions of the Zero and all loved their weight, power and torque, but range remained a limiting factor for long trips.(claimed 227 miles max). They've extended the range significantly, added a lot more recharge stations and added a new FX model.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model-year-23

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 07:09 AM

Thanks mjs, that's the kind of info I'm after. No DCT for me, I do love my Recluse on my 500 but not on the twin.
Same here, the T7 has a crazy markup if you can find one. The AT will work good for what I want to do, like TAT and some back country discovery stuff. Thanks
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 07:12 AM

If I lived in town or a city an electric bike would be a good choice but they just aren't viable for real world ridding. They look fun and have come a long ways from just a few years ago.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:51 AM

I would think about Ebike for around town play. At 5 grand to start no go. I picked up a 2020 Crf 250f 2,500$ on trail it got 64mpg more fun . No worries out in brush looking for plug.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 12:30 PM

I use my Ebicycle daily in mexico. Usually with a big sh*teating grin.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I use my Ebicycle daily in mexico. Usually with a big sh*teating grin.

both you and Larry are correct, ideally have both....the Ebike has been a game changer for me!:yes:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 02:11 PM

Its like I said short run store around the hills and back Ebike fun. Long run or exploring give me GAS
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-24-2022 at 02:45 PM
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 05:37 PM
An electric buggy for Baja

This buggy from Hyundai looks like a lot of fun, and it doesn't mind going for a swim!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/here-s-what-we-love-abo...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2022 at 08:45 AM

Anyone else ride the T-7 yet? Talked to a dealer about the new world raid T-7 that was released in EU but they don't think the US will even get it?
No one with demos rides that I've found yet, I just can't buy a bike without every haven ridden one.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2022 at 09:27 AM

Don’t know about Yamaha dealers down here, but I’ve bought a couple Husqvarna and Ktm motos here in Mexico, price cheaper than USA and they are Euro models.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2022 at 02:56 PM

pacsur, I just might need to move if that is the case! LOL...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.