Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Off Grid Living
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:08 AM
Baja Off Grid Living

As this seems to be a pretty common discussion topic, I wondered if we might get issues related to power, air conditioning, water and gas supply all in one spot. Might be helpful for those considering making this move. Edible and or medicinal plants that do well? If there was a section devoted to this, I couldn't find it.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:25 AM

My remaining question would be this: We have built on the Pacific Coast west of La Paz. What kind of edible plantings that produce fruit pretty consistently do you think might survive well in our area given the very arid conditions and strong winds?
We are planning on some edibles as well as fragrant and evergreen shade trees within a wind protected courtyard. Any suggestions? Neem has been suggested for shade. Maybe an orange tree for fruit, blossoms and fragrance? Unable at this point to locate an edible berry bush.

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:32 AM

To help get this section started off I would suggest to anyone thinking of building a new solar system to use a higher voltage battery bank as in 48v, but 24v is good also. The advantages are numerous, ie smaller wires, less charge controllers, etc. The new LifePo4 batteries are a game changer since you can use 80% of the rated amp hours of the battery and not do any harm to them.
If you have an existing solar system it makes sense to upgrade but you won't save as much.
As far as batteries, the relatively new LifePo4 batteries are great. There is also a growing number of people out there building their own batteries with great success. I have built 4 so far and it is a fun project which can save you 40 to 50% of the cost of a store bought battery. For instance I built a 300ah 48v LifePo4 battery for about $2300. The same size store bought battery was $4500.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
To help get this section started off I would suggest to anyone thinking of building a new solar system to use a higher voltage battery bank as in 48v, but 24v is good also. The advantages are numerous, ie smaller wires, less charge controllers, etc. The new LifePo4 batteries are a game changer since you can use 80% of the rated amp hours of the battery and not do any harm to them.
If you have an existing solar system it makes sense to upgrade but you won't save as much.
As far as batteries, the relatively new LifePo4 batteries are great. There is also a growing number of people out there building their own batteries with great success. I have built 4 so far and it is a fun project which can save you 40 to 50% of the cost of a store bought battery. For instance I built a 300ah 48v LifePo4 battery for about $2300. The same size store bought battery was $4500.

Thanks Larry: Could I ask how much you think a person should budget as a percentage of full cost to put in an initial Solar system? Your house size, and what Air Conditioning you find adequate? Mine has come in at about 12% to date, but I suspect it goes down significantly as we enlarged the size of the house.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:44 AM

Fruit trees?

Lots of citrus in the Mulege area. Date palms in San Ignacio. Mangos around Todos Santos. These areas all have fresh water supplies.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Fruit trees?

Lots of citrus in the Mulege area. Date palms in San Ignacio. Mangos around Todos Santos. These areas all have fresh water supplies.

Mangos sounds great, we will have to look at when they produce and whether the size fits, thanks.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 10:02 AM

I have seen some old, well established pomegranate trees in central Baja. There were some yellow ones at a church courtyard in the Comondus that were small, but very tasty!

Key lime trees seem to do well, and maybe some variety of orange will thrive, but I don't have any personal experience.

For a berry crop, I would investigate whether a Kiwi would do well in a Baja climate. They do very well in the Northern CA foothills, but again, that's not Baja.

I am sure that a date palm would do well, but that is a whole different kind of landscaping.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have seen some old, well established pomegranate trees in central Baja. There were some yellow ones at a church courtyard in the Comondus that were small, but very tasty!

Key lime trees seem to do well, and maybe some variety of orange will thrive, but I don't have any personal experience.

For a berry crop, I would investigate whether a Kiwi would do well in a Baja climate. They do very well in the Northern CA foothills, but again, that's not Baja.

I am sure that a date palm would do well, but that is a whole different kind of landscaping.

We were considering Pomegranate as well. I think Date Palms might survive outside the protected courtyard, and maybe the flowering cactus with medicinal qualities Udo had mentioned (Ocotillos?) in another thread as well if i try to get them growing where we presently discharge our captured rainwater. Thanks all, you have given us some very interesting ideas.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-24-2022 at 02:46 PM
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

Thanks Larry: Could I ask how much you think a person should budget as a percentage of full cost to put in an initial Solar system? Your house size, and what Air Conditioning you find adequate? Mine has come in at about 12% to date, but I suspect it goes down significantly as we enlarged the size of the house.

That is not as easy a question as it should be. Every house is different and everyone's needs are different. I've been off grid in Baja since '98 and my solar system has grown slowly over the years. I've seen lots of solar systems everything from 2 car batteries and a 350 watt harbor freight inverter to some newer ones with more than 10kw in panels and 13kw inverters.
Your needs will be different than mine for sure and trying to budget a percentage of the cost to build a house plus the solar system would drive me crazy. Basically you need to sit down and figure out if you need air conditioning, refrigeration, are you going to be running welders in the garage, etc. and come up with a preliminary plan and then at least double if not triple it. The instant your wife finds out there is electricity in the out let she will plug a coffee maker into and a microwave oven and more. You gotta love 'em and I do.

I have a small house at about 900sf. I have 2- 1 ton mini splits and run them both if I need to cool the house quickly and then run only 1 the rest of the night. That will bring one of my 300ah batteries down to about 10% SoC and in the morning I fire up the generator for 2 hours and get a charge back into the batteries and then turn off the gen set and let the sun top off the batteries the rest of the day. I used to run the gen set all night before I got the lifepo4 batteries but that used a lot of fuel, 2 hours I can afford.

I'm really not good at the technical stuff so I just build a system and add to it if I need to.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 05:49 PM

With solar it's easier doing it right from the beginning than building a percentage of full system and expanding it later. You need to do your energy audit - how much Kwh a day with whatever you think to run. This will give you approximate size of solar array. Winter or summer, there is a big difference. Less sun in winter but you don't need A/C. Then budget the battery bank, inverter etc. Then multiply solar size by 1.5 because like Larry said once your wife finds out that there is electricity in the outlet she'll want to plug in - well, a lot. There are offgrid alt-energy forums that you might want to start with, here is one https://forum.solar-electric.com/.

Propane is a separate topic.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2022 at 06:05 PM

Larry; That is a lot of info thanks. I have a 2600 sq ft house with a separate guest wing with its own kitchen and fridge/stove, 2 car garage and run pretty much all the same loads I run up here. This meant a significantly larger solar system than you require, I agree. I have not had to run the backup generator yet, but it's there in case of system failures. Propane is for the extra stove, bbq and if we do run hot water to soaker tubs and of course the generator. So our solar is designed to carry a fully electric home, including the hot water tanks.
We have 24 panels, each 445 w, and two Inverters supplying 6 racked lithium 48v 3.455kwh batteries. Most would find this excessive, and it is at present but we hope to have excess to charge a future EV late in afternoons.
I purposely oversized the panels and undersized the batteries for our full future anticipated use for present cost reasons.

A\C: 2 1/2 tons mini split inverter heat pumps (2) and one 1 ton cooling only in the main bedroom which I find more than meet either winter heating or summer cooling needs.

[Edited on 7-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 07:45 AM

Yes, there should be a new category for “Living Off the Grid”!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 09:12 AM

We live in a gated community plus we have security cameras that notify us when something or someone shows up. The community well is up next to the highway and has been burglarized several times in the last year.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 11:01 AM

Locked gates, signage and confrontation by residents....some people respect the signs and locked gates. Others believe anything in Baja is free game to travel and inspect at will. More security will be forthcoming, no doubt. I would really hate to get to the point of Nuevo Vallarta Fortress where visitors are met by armed security guards and given pre-approved time restricted "passes" to enter and visit friends. At that point it gets to be a self-inflicted prison.

[Edited on 7-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 06:45 PM

11kw solar will keep you afloat in daytime. With solar it's all or nothing, on a good day you get "all" and want a big bank to store it for rainy day, literally. With that much solar that would be at least 40 kwh bank, this is 12*3.455 kwh.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 07:09 PM

Alm,

With flat mounted high voltage (250VDC) solar arrays (6 panels in series) you still get 20% of the normal output even on overcast days. With Lithium batteries you can charge at high rates so 2-3 hours of generator in the evening will carry you. 10 - 20 KW of batteries should be enough. What you need depends on your base load.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2022 at 07:42 PM

Alm: With ours all we have needed overnite is the 20 kwh storage. In a bit over a year, we have never needed more, even during cloudy periods. Night loads are very much reduced compared to the daytime use of 3 hot water tanks, laundry, dishwasher and Induction stove. LP Generator is there just in case, but so far not needed. AC loads to maintain 23 degree temps throughout are pretty minimal with inverter mini splits.
Lithium batteries generally still have about 30-40% left in morning.
The choice for the remaining 20KWH batteries installed was $10,000 plus, or a backup Cummins 17kw generator at $6,000. Zero LP gas used so far, so seems to have been the right decision at this point. Batteries will get cheaper and that may change in future.

[Edited on 7-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2022 at 06:47 AM

JD, Your system sounds pretty robust. What inverters are you using?

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2022 at 11:28 AM

JD, Your system sounds pretty robust. What inverters are you using?

My installer supplied Victron Inverters, controllers and Pylontech batteries
I had asked for Schneider inverters and Canadian Solar panels with Simplifi batteries,, he overruled me and I'm very glad he did. Pays to have an expert do the installation and keep out of his way.

[Edited on 7-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2022 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Alm,

With flat mounted high voltage (250VDC) solar arrays (6 panels in series) you still get 20% of the normal output even on overcast days.

Output drops when solar irradiation drops, regardless of total array voltage or whether it's flat or tilted. They are usually titled anyway, minimum few degrees to shed rainwater and dust. Higher voltage reduces wire losses, thinner cables, easier for contractor to work with. In overcast the output drops, in rain it could drop to mere few percent. I remember last winter there was a wet spell lasting more than a week, it was raining every day, though not all day, this is still Baja.

I doubt that panel brand matters. This is just a commodity, the more - the better.

[Edited on 7-27-2022 by Alm]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.