BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: A new de-salination process from M.I.T.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-8-2022 at 09:19 PM

No reason at all as long as you chlorinate the water. We run our’s into the household water supply. I bubble Ozone through that water plus add Chlorine from time to time.
Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2022 at 07:38 AM

Here is one product that exists today.

https://www.rainmandesal.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrs2XBhDjARIsAHVy...
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2022 at 07:58 AM

WW,

There are several other portable RO systems. That said this one is new to me so thanks for the post. The problems with RO systems are membrane storage between uses and in Mexico, government rules (CONAGUA) about disposing of the high salt wastewater. We were discussing ways of getting water from humid air because currently the government doesn’t regulate it. The from the air method equipment also stores better between uses but is not as portable and requires solar electricity. If you have AC you can collect water from that at almost no additional cost.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-10-2022 at 12:14 PM

https://voiceofsandiego.org/2022/08/09/ensenada-last-in-line...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2022 at 01:04 PM

DP,

The climate in Ensenada is damp and foggy enough that they could probably use passive fog traps to collect large amounts of water.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 07:27 PM

This looks interesting!

A solar powered water from air system 6’X10’ 350lbs.

I’m going to reply to them and see what I can find out.

https://www.source.co/residential/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
This looks interesting!

A solar powered water from air system 6’X10’ 350lbs.

I’m going to reply to them and see what I can find out.

https://www.source.co/residential/

I looked at that earlier. Excellent energy efficient way to obtain distilled water in high humidity areas, but pretty expensive. Yield not all that great.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 09:31 PM

JD,

It was interesting! That said 6L per unit per day. With just solar panels and a dehumidifier I can produce 2-3 times as much water.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 10:48 PM

DP,

The climate in Ensenada is damp and foggy enough that they could probably use passive fog traps to collect large amounts of water.

:lol:I think you should give em a call!

John Hiatt
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 09:07 AM
Fog Traps collect up to 36K L of water per day

https://www.fastcompany.com/3068531/these-massive-floating-n...

https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/water-harvesting/harvest...

2137456F-B2D9-4F32-BAA5-05C421A68A91.jpeg - 275kB

[Edited on 8-12-2022 by RFClark]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
This could be a great device for parts of Baja that lack fresh water, or for boats. There is no mention of what the power requirements are, or at what rate it can produce clean water, but it looks promising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/briefcase-sized-ga...

the MIT boys keep working toward new solutions:D
https://news.mit.edu/2019/brine-desalianation-waste-sodium-h...

John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 08:22 PM

Ponder this about the CA Central Valley:

Approximately 75% of the irrigated land in California and 17% of the Nation's irrigated land is in the Central Valley

About 20% of the Nation's groundwater demand is supplied from pumping Central Valley aquifers, making it the second-most-pumped aquifer system in the U.S.

Using fewer than 1% of U.S. farmland, the Central Valley supplies 8% of U.S. agricultural output (by value) and produces 1/4 of the Nation's food, including 40% of the Nation's fruits, nuts, and other table foods.

The USA depends on California for its very survival. CA water needs are of primary importance to the entire usa economy and food supply.

Maintaining Californias water supply is more important than most other national issues.

California Uber alles!

[Edited on 8-13-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 08:35 PM

Goat,

Those in charge in California have repeatedly demonstrated that they couldn’t manage a 6 year old’s birthday party and can screw up a wet dream! What could possibly go wrong? Pleasant dreams!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 11:00 PM

maybe engineer bill (or our own pudgy chivo) can tie this argument about california politics to fit this forum? yes/no?

[Edited on 8-13-2022 by willardguy]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 02:45 AM

WG,

The solutions to California’s water problems lies not just in better engineering. They lie in better planning and leadership as well. That is of course a “political” discussion. If that was not true so-many people would not be moving to Mexico and other places from there.

That said the mega-drought seems to have been temporarily upstaged by a series of mega-floods from a better than average annual monsoon.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 03:19 AM

Goat,

Those in charge in California have repeatedly demonstrated that they couldn’t manage a 6 year old’s birthday party and can screw up a wet dream! What could possibly go wrong? Pleasant dreams!

You right wing nuts like to complain about California… got an example of California being mismanaged more than another similar state?
California is doing well.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 03:28 AM

OK Goat,

Here’s a big one! 2 words politicians don’t understand: “Base Load”.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-08-12/california...

“Diablo Canyon is California’s single largest power source. Officials are worried that without it, the state could have trouble keeping the lights on — and air conditioners running — during intense summer heat waves. Newsom has also suggested that keeping the plant open would help fight climate change because Diablo doesn’t produce planet-warming pollution.

“Some would say it’s the righteous and right climate decision,” Newsom told The Times earlier this year.

The 2,250-megawatt power plant — which generated 6% of the state’s electricity in 2021 — is nestled along the Central Coast south of Morro Bay. Its fate has been a subject of controversy for decades, with then-Gov. Jerry Brown railing against the facility’s construction”

[Edited on 8-13-2022 by RFClark]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 06:05 PM

2 and a quarter gigawatt is indeed a big plant. What is the source if not thermal power? Hydro or?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 06:09 PM

It’s a nuke plant that’s why the NIMBY’s wanted to close it down. Nuke is fine but in someone else's state or country please!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Huh? Doesn't a two gigawatt power plant pump two additional gigawatts of thermal energy into the biosphere no matter WHAT the fuel source?

Interesting question.

30 percent or so is converted to electrical energy. Much of that is converted to light and kinetic energy. etc. How much eventually returns to heat, I don't know. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, a basic rule of Mother Nature.

But, of course, nukes aren't releasing greenhouse gases like a fossil fuel plant.

The operating licenses of the 2 Diablo Canyon reactors are due to expire in 2025, after 40 years of operation. I bet the NRC extends them after a certification process. But they are getting old and creaky. High maintenance costs I imagine. Maintenance cost is what eventually shut down the San Onofre reactors.

Conserve and increase efficiency - everything, everywhere.

[Edited on 8-14-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.