BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: A new de-salination process from M.I.T.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2022 at 10:20 AM

[Edited on 8-2-2022 by Tioloco]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2022 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Stopping golf courses from watering sounds like a plan until you discover many of the golf courses are watered with water from sewage plants that would otherwise be released back into the ocean. Those purple hydrants that you see are part of the recycled water system!

I was just using that as an example. My point is conservation and wiser use and pricing of the water available is the best way to go before building power hungry and possibly polluting mega-desal factories.

I'm glad the desal facility was nixxed. IMO it should be last resort solution.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2022 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Food grows where water flows

No problem with that as long as it's priced fairly, not given away to corporate farms.

John

The farmers pay for the water and to maintain the canals. It is not free water. to anyone.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2022 at 01:24 PM

Food grows where water flows

No problem with that as long as it's priced fairly, not given away to corporate farms.

John

The farmers pay for the water and to maintain the canals. It is not free water. to anyone.

Sure they do. Here's a couple books on the subject of how water got to the "farmers."

Cadillac Desert (water development in the West)
The King of California (about your neck of the woods, Bako and cotton!)

John

[Edited on 8-2-2022 by John Harper]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-2-2022 at 08:13 PM

SFandH,

My point as an Engineer is that the water shortages are not primarily an engineering problem. They are political and cultural problems which can only be solved by political and cultural means. New technology is useless if government won’t let you apply it!

This is the reason behind the sudden interest in water mining the air. It’s not currently within the purview of government and very low profile.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 08:22 AM

New technology is useless if government won’t let you apply it!

The California Coastal Commission did allow the same company to build the Carlsbad desal plant. I don't know the issues with the proposed Huntington Beach plant.

The Carlsbad facility is the area's most expensive water supply and is in need of a 160 million dollar upgrade, which the ratepayers will pay for. The plant is 7 years old.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/environment/story/...

[Edited on 8-3-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 08:49 AM

we're not talking about watering golf courses here....:(
https://popculturely.com/news/mexicos-drought-country-faces-...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 09:24 AM

think maybe the MIT guys struggling to develop a more efficient de-sal aren't thinking Carlsbad??
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
we're not talking about watering golf courses here....:(
https://popculturely.com/news/mexicos-drought-country-faces-...

Sounds like there are serious water shortage problems in Nuevo Leon. I just checked and August, September, and October are Monterrey's rainiest months. Stay tuned......

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 05:22 AM

Sure they do. Here's a couple books on the subject of how water got to the "farmers."

Cadillac Desert (water development in the West)
The King of California (about your neck of the woods, Bako and cotton!)

John

[Edited on 8-2-2022 by John Harper]

I 2nd the recommendation of "The King of California". The old phrase, "Whisky is for drinking, Water is for fighting" is well documented in this book. My brother-in-law worked for the Boswell Corp for many years and says the book is accurate from what he knew.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 05:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

The Carlsbad facility is the area's most expensive water supply and is in need of a 160 million dollar upgrade, which the ratepayers will pay for. The plant is 7 years old.

Lucky me, I live in Carlsbad. I wondered why the city dropped trash services from our bill (was water, trash, sewer) but the bill was the same. Now we get a separate bill for trash from Republic Services.

Like the famous "trash recycling" plant they built east of me, which cost tens of millions and was never put into operation.

John
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 06:17 AM

Seems to me the answer lays with the Politicians being committed as much as the Engineers are. More people, more water demand per person and also more agriculture to support them. Arguing about who wastes or needs it the most doesn't seem to be providing any positive solutions.
Great to see the Engineers moving in the right direction at least, and I remain hopeful there will soon be a readily available solution to meet our needs.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2022 at 06:25 AM

John: We had a huge public effort to separate and recycle trash as well that began decades ago. The government shut down the glass recycling plant (too expensive they say) to save money, raised our garbage taxes and in general remix our separated recycling waste and dump it back into the land dumps. Very discouraging to say the least.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2022 at 05:58 AM

Here is an air sourced water distillation process that may work well in off-grid high humidity areas. A bit pricey perhaps yet. Anyone have experiences with it to share?:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkart/2022/01/13/solar-power...

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2022 at 09:14 AM

JD,

The Pols are committed to power and reelection generally!

We have an 800W dehumidifier that produces 3+ gallons in about 10hrs, more if the humidity is high. It cost around $200 US.

Our AC units (18K BTU) produce more than 5 Gal in the same time period.

In general the humidity needs to be above 40% to work. Next to the beach that’s usually not a problem. As batteries become less expensive it will be possible to run more hours a day. Currently we use the water for plants. The electricity is basically free during the day. Since the dehumidifier puts out warm dry air it heats the house too.

[Edited on 8-5-2022 by RFClark]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2022 at 05:44 PM

JD,

The Pols are committed to power and reelection generally!

We have an 800W dehumidifier that produces 3+ gallons in about 10hrs, more if the humidity is high. It cost around $200 US.

Our AC units (18K BTU) produce more than 5 Gal in the same time period.

In general the humidity needs to be above 40% to work. Next to the beach that’s usually not a problem. As batteries become less expensive it will be possible to run more hours a day. Currently we use the water for plants. The electricity is basically free during the day. Since the dehumidifier puts out warm dry air it heats the house too.

[Edited on 8-5-2022 by RFClark]

Our humidity runs pretty steady at around 60-65% this time of year(optimal burn and surgery recovery humidity, by the way), and our AC units do drop a lot of condensate out which presently just drains to ground. So yes, this should be a very easy way to get distilled water very cheaply with the right equipment. Surprised at the cost of these units.

Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 8-7-2022 at 09:39 AM

Interesting and a positive process for our future. The cities and people along the west coast might just benefit from this more so than a
$100 billion bullet train blunder.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2022 at 01:35 PM

JD,

We don't need to haul in water at our new place so we’re going to add the AC output to the gray water tank. I found a small pump/strainer/sand filter combo on Amazon for under $200 we’ll use a 2000L UG plastic tank.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2022 at 08:06 PM

Here’s a link to a water from air recovery sysem

https://akvosphere.com/akvo-water-block/?utm_term=&utm_c...
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2022 at 09:10 PM

JD,

We don't need to haul in water at our new place so we’re going to add the AC output to the gray water tank. I found a small pump/strainer/sand filter combo on Amazon for under $200 we’ll use a 2000L UG plastic tank.

RFClark: Thanks to this thread I am digging up my AC discharges (never thought of this very ready source of distilled water) and going to attempt something similar, but planning on directing it into the water supply cistern to drop our hardness to a bit more reasonable levels. Any reason you can think of that this would be a bad idea? Thats a lot of very demineralized water we were throwing away.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.