Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Temporary Resident Card
lwpa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 05:38 AM
Temporary Resident Card

I am in the process of trying to obtain my Temporary Resident Card. I have already gotten a Mexican Visa in my USA Passport from the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas where I live.
I have been told that I now need to go to Baja and when I cross the border at Otay Mesa, obtain an FMM, then I have 30 days to go to the Immigration Office in Rosarito Beach, where my condo is located, and apply for a Temporary Resident Card which can take up to a month to process.
Does the above sound correct?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 06:09 AM

Yes, that's the process. But, I'm not positive about the 30-day part however know there is a time limit.

Stop at the border, show your passport with the visa, get the FMM, and then go to the INM office closest to your residence with your passport and FMM.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 07:46 AM

Iwpa, how long did it take to get your appointment at the consulate in Vegas? We've been trying up here in Washington for many months, and they have been saying they are not taking applications due to Covid, try again next month or another state. We also tried in CA where our son lives and they say they only serve locals, proof of residency requried.
Copacetico1
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 08:50 AM

Don't get an FMM. You already have an immigrant visa in your passport. If you get an FMM and the agent marks "tourist" that cancels your immigration visa. If you do get an FMM, INM will just cancel it when you show up at their office in Rosarito. It's on the 3rd floor of city hall in front of the elevator.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lwpa  
I am in the process of trying to obtain my Temporary Resident Card. I have already gotten a Mexican Visa in my USA Passport from the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas where I live.
I have been told that I now need to go to Baja and when I cross the border at Otay Mesa, obtain an FMM, then I have 30 days to go to the Immigration Office in Rosarito Beach, where my condo is located, and apply for a Temporary Resident Card which can take up to a month to process.
Does the above sound correct?

Your process is correct. I'd just point out a few things from my RT process from years back.

1) You have 6 months from the date they put the visa in your passport to start the process south of the border.
2) You definitely do need an FMM when you cross the border south. Just make sure the agent marks "other" and not "tourist".
3) Legally you are not allowed to leave the country while your RT/RP is in process. Driving across would be less of an issue but we did ours in Cabo so it was a fly in and out and was a pain in the arse. You'd need to apply for and pay for an official exit letter.
4) with your RT/RP you still need an FMM (again flying is a bigger deal). You now need the FMM to exit the country and for re-entry and not for entry and exit. IMM issues them for free at the airport. Just make sure, again, you get marked as other and not tourist.

These are from my personal experience.

Andy
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 09:02 AM

That is incorrect, not to get an FMM. The OP does not have an immigrant visa in their passport, they have a pre-approval. There is some confusion currently, as FMM forms are being phased out and they are using them at some borders and airports and not others, but if you cross where they are using them, yes, you get one, as it is a record of when you crossed the border if they don't stamp your passport.

There's no worry about an INM agent marking it "tourist", unless you don't make it clear when you give the agent your documents that you are in temporary residency process. The agent needs to mark the FMM as "Canje".

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by surabi]
Copacetico1
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
That is incorrect, not to get an FMM. The OP does not have an immigrant visa in their passport, they have a pre-approval. There is some confusion currently, as FMM forms are being phased out and they are using them at some borders and airports and not others, but if you cross where they are using them, yes, you get one, as it is a record of when you crossed the border if they don't stamp your passport.

There's no worry about an INM agent marking it "tourist", unless you don't make it clear when you give the agent your documents that you are in temporary residency process. The agent needs to mark the FMM as "Canje".

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by surabi]

That is just not correct. The OP has a single-entry visa to enter Mexico and has 30 days to go to INM after entering Mexico. If he gets a FMM, which is not needed, INM will take it away and prepare a letter of cancellation of the FMM. The letter is also proof of legal stay in Mexico until the resident card is issued.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Copacetico1  

That is just not correct. The OP has a single-entry visa to enter Mexico and has 30 days to go to INM after entering Mexico. If he gets a FMM, which is not needed, INM will take it away and prepare a letter of cancellation of the FMM. The letter is also proof of legal stay in Mexico until the resident card is issued.

That is not correct. He must stop at the border and present the visa that the consulate attached to his passport. The agent will provide a properly completed FMM for presentation to the INM office.

That's the way I did it, and others that I know.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 10:39 AM

Why not just give the passport with the visa inside it to the agent and let them do what they need to do, this won't be their first rodeo and there is no reason to give them any instructions on what to do.

IWPA, your process is spot on but there may be a time limit to cross the border south too, like 30 days, can't remember for sure.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
Iwpa, how long did it take to get your appointment at the consulate in Vegas? We've been trying up here in Washington for many months, and they have been saying they are not taking applications due to Covid, try again next month or another state. We also tried in CA where our son lives and they say they only serve locals, proof of residency requried.

Check out the consulate in Calexico. Took me about 6 weeks to get an appt in the height of Covid. Super easy to get to with plenty of parking and when your done, exchange some dollars and cross the border south.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 11:05 AM

Consider boise ID. For a consulate appointment. It's a huge facility with lots of staff.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Check out the consulate in Calexico. Took me about 6 weeks to get an appt in the height of Covid. Super easy to get to with plenty of parking and when your done, exchange some dollars and cross the border south.

set up an appointment with a facilitator,if you qualify come on down and do it all in mexico, bypass the consulate completely.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2022 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

set up an appointment with a facilitator,if you qualify come on down and do it all in mexico, bypass the consulate completely.

That works too but there is expense involved. I was pretty intimidated by the whole process until I got into it and at the end of the 6 weeks from start to finish with two weeks of Xmas and New Years in between, I was pretty happy I didn't have to pay the immigration lady that showed me how it all works. It is way easier than most make it out to be.

I would say don't miss the deadlines they give you but other than that, show up, do what you need to do and wait for finger prints and pictures then the card isn't far behind.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 08:22 AM

Don Pisto, can you recommend a facilitator and provide contact info? We're not residing in Baja for more than 180 days a year, but are about to start building a house in Todos Santos and we understand that these days we need TR to obtain water and power contracts, and we also want it for banking, buying and registering a car, etc. Thanks!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 08:31 AM

My son did the whole PR process himself. He had help with no expense for the Migration person in San Felipe. The process was not easy. All the links are in Spanish which meant he used google translate on his phone to fill in the unknown phrases or words. After filling out the link forms he kept going back the the Migration office for review and changes.

And many years ago my wife and I hired a local person to do it all for us. It was expensive and had several major hiccups that slowed down the process.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 09:49 AM

Am I understanding this, that a person seeking a TR/PR card,
that one qualifies for, need not start the process in the US
at a US Mex Consulate? Simply hiring a facilitator in Mex
and apply at a Mex Immigration office in Mex? This conversation
about appointments at a US Mex Consulate is irrelevant?

TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 10:06 AM

PaulW, trips to other states just to visit a consulate there are also expensive and take a lot of time (we're a ways from retirement!). So if a cheat code is available to buy, I'm interested.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 10:12 AM

Don Pisto, can you recommend a facilitator and provide contact info? We're not residing in Baja for more than 180 days a year, but are about to start building a house in Todos Santos and we understand that these days we need TR to obtain water and power contracts, and we also want it for banking, buying and registering a car, etc. Thanks!

check your u2u

John Hiatt
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Am I understanding this, that a person seeking a TR/PR card,
that one qualifies for, need not start the process in the US
at a US Mex Consulate? Simply hiring a facilitator in Mex
and apply at a Mex Immigration office in Mex? This conversation
about appointments at a US Mex Consulate is irrelevant?

you are correct, the only requirement is you've had previous FMM's.....and theres NO financial requirements

John Hiatt
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 10:31 AM

Correct
For sure there is no need to go to the consulate. It can be done in any town that has a resident migration office.
Step #1
Be sure when you arrive in Mexico that you come with a valid FMM. It is required to get started.

No need to start with a TR because you can choose to go directly to PR. Details between TR and PR are different

Shop for a facilitator because prices and quality vary.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.