Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Cartel chaos currently in northern Baja
cooperdesign

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 12:21 PM
from a friend trying to travel through mexicali

This a message below that my friends brother just sent to her.
—/———- (I have no proof, but sounds harrowing

I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday that was driving to Santa Rosalia a couple of days ago with 3 of his friends. He crossed the border in Mexicali driving a 4 wheel drive Van camper towing a boat. The transit police stopped him a few miles after he crossed before he got on the highway. They took all of their cash, all of their spare gas and 1/2 of their fishing equipment. He turned around and came home. He said it was particularly scary this time because he didn’t think they were real Federales.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cooperdesign  

That's ugly, rarely hear of such an expensive Police rip off.
Hope you don't get any blow back on this. Are a few here
who refuse to believe any post unless it comes from someone with
1000's of posts. Thanks for the info

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cooperdesign  

I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday that was driving to Santa Rosalia a couple of days ago with 3 of his friends. He crossed the border in Mexicali driving a 4 wheel drive Van camper towing a boat. The transit police stopped him a few miles after he crossed before he got on the highway. They took all of their cash, all of their spare gas and 1/2 of their fishing equipment. He turned around and came home. He said it was particularly scary this time because he didn’t think they were real Federales.

I have several friends born and raised in Mexicali and they tell me until they are blue in the face this stuff doesn't happen there (we all know it probably does). That is interesting your friend said they were Federales (or fake ones). Generally as of late you are more worried about the municipal police doing shake downs. The Federales have actually cleaned up their act a bit.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 03:34 PM

Compare Boyle Heights to Five Points. OK. Compare Baja to the US? Nah.

How about US cops vs. MX cops? Don't consider all MX cops as corrupt. Don't think I'll be scammed NOB by cops but SOB? Oh yeah.

Some parts of Baja are safer than other parts. Other than rampant thievery, which I consider is epidemic in Baja, I don't consider MX cops my friend and if I get in trouble, they won't be any help. To me, that's dangerous in a way it's not NOB.

Unfortunately.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
I’m not in favor of lawlessness in general. Both Mexico and the US have problems.

Yesterday the cartels burned about 24 trucks and busses in TJ and Ensenada, BC North. They, to my reading of the reports did not loot, burn or kill yet. Might they possibly do so, yes though looting seems not to be their thing like in the US.

The Mexican police and army seem to be trying to actually stop them in TJ and Ensenada. Not much seems to be happening in Mexicali and BCS yet!

In the US the police and national guard were ordered not to confront looters and arsonists even after some people were killed by the looters.

Looting is not a legitimate form of social protest nor is arson! Allowing it to occur is criminal conduct by government!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On our drive through Mexicali in late July, we were brushed at the rear from a white car that already had severe left front end damage. We felt no contact but heard them honk their horn. They chased us through Mexicali shaking their fists and trying to block our progress, in front and each time we changed lanes and we refused to pull over.
Reported our very slight 2 inch deep dent (white paint residue) behind our rear wheel to police and also called insurance adjuster when we noticed it in San Felipe. Were told by both police and adjuster this is the latest attempt to extort money from tourists with foreign licenses and is a growing issue in Mexicali. Repairs and vehicle rental being provided by insurer we got through Baja Bound, so is being resolved satisfactorily at this point.

[Edited on 8-14-2022 by BajaNomad]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 10:22 PM

My son is in the border line right now.....he said there wasn't any craziness that he saw the last couple days.........He was in Rosarito area.

There's my professional reporting, live from Oceanside sitting on my ass.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 06:09 AM

Judging by the northern Baja news source I read, last night was quiet.

https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/

[Edited on 8-14-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 08:18 AM

it was a quiet night, looks like the tally is 24 assorted vehicles torched 8 arsonists captured and hauled off to mexico city.
Baja Baja Beach Fest going on without a hitch, hotels, bars and restaurants packed and everyone having a blast!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 08:54 AM

The power was out in parts of Todos Santos for about an hour last night and there was a overturned 18 wheeler blocking part of the highway south of Todos Santos mid day.

Probably the work of The Cartel rather than CFE and a bad driver!

Meanwhile yesterday more than 30 people were shot and killed in the US! As is often the case Chicago led the list.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
it was a quiet night, looks like the tally is 24 assorted vehicles torched 8 arsonists captured and hauled off to mexico city.
Baja Baja Beach Fest going on without a hitch, hotels, bars and restaurants packed and everyone having a blast!:coolup:

Ghost Town in Tijuana after the New Generation Cartel imposed curfew las night
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

I read 17 people were arrested. I bet they're being thoroughly "interrogated".

No injuries, no murders because of the arson that I know of. TJ city leaders are encouraging people to get back to business as usual.

I wonder if the cartel got what they wanted, they're tough negotiators, aren't they?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

The Cartel imposed the curfew?!

What a crackup! What's your source on that?

You could read a variety of sources and find everything you need to know, if you search Tijuana curfew or Tijuana Cartel Violence.

Hundreds of Mexican National Guard troops sent to Tijuana over cartel-fueled violence
https://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-mexican-national-guard-troop...

"We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days," the group said in a warning translated from Spanish."

Hundreds of Mexican National Guard troops sent to Tijuana over cartel-fueled violence
https://www.foxnews.com/world/hundreds-mexican-national-guar...

"Be warned. As of Friday at 10 p.m. through Sunday at 3 a.m. we’re going to create mass chaos so the [expletive] government frees our people. We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days," the group said in a warning translated from Spanish."
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:39 AM

glad you find this hilarious, these guy are no joke...

Meanwhile, messages began circulating on social media, purportedly from the Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación, declaring that it was implementing a curfew in Tijuana. The posts told residents that they should go home or risk being attacked. The U.S. Consul General in Tijuana advised Americans to seek shelter and to avoid traveling to the city.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:42 AM

There was two killings . Feds between TJ and Ensenada got the bad guys . Shoot out bad guys lost since Saturday back to normal as reported to me.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:44 AM

Meanwhile yesterday more than 30 people were shot and killed in the US! As is often the case Chicago led the list.

apparently this 'effin jackazz just can't help himself:(
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:46 AM

You could read a variety of sources and find everything you need to know, if you search Tijuana curfew or Tijuana Cartel Violence.

"We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days," the group said in a warning translated from Spanish."

"Be warned. As of Friday at 10 p.m. through Sunday at 3 a.m. we’re going to create mass chaos so the [expletive] government frees our people. We’re the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, we don’t want to hurt good people but it’s best they don’t go outside, we’re going to attack anyone we see on the streets on these days," the group said in a warning translated from Spanish."

If the cartel members actually wrote this warning, the curfew certainly wasn't enforced by authorities.

Cartel folks aren't known to be concerned about the welfare of others.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If the cartel members actually wrote this warning, the curfew certainly wasn't enforced by authorities.

it wasn't about welfare it was a warning and taken very seriously in tijuana especially with all resources amassed in rosarito
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 10:13 AM

OK, it was an effective scare tactic.

I'm still skeptical of its authenticity.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 10:21 AM

The power was out in parts of Todos Santos for about an hour last night and there was a overturned 18 wheeler blocking part of the highway south of Todos Santos mid day.

Probably the work of The Cartel rather than CFE and a bad driver!

And yet the murder rate in Mexico is WAAAAY higher than in the US.

Not counting all the people who just disappear or are kidnapped (and eventually show up in one of Mexico's famous mass graves) which amounts to over a thousand each year. That's the REPORTED disappearances, of course.

The top twenty countries in per capita murder rates is literally dominated by Latin American and Caribbean countries. You begin to understand why whole families are so desperate to escape their home country by crossing deserts, mountains and oceans, to get to the US.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-14-2022 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

The fact of the matter is, the people of Tijuana - who over the last few decades have become accustomed to living with cartel threats including bodies hanging from overpasses and bags of heads left on their sidewalks - did take the cartel Nueva Generacion de Jalisco's curfew quite seriously with a significant percentage of people living there choosing to stay home and off the streets, not only at night but during the daytime hours as well with a lot of stores and businesses deciding to close as well. The stores in the neighborhood where Cristina's family lives in Tijuana were all closed save for a couple who sold through a back door to clients they knew.

Tijuana took this threat and curfew seriously and the local government did as well - despite their words to the contrary - as the display of combined local, state and federal police as well as over 3,000 additional troops called in for support demonstrated a response the level Tijuana has not seen since the brutal days of the Arellano Felix street shootouts twenty years ago.

One friend in Tijuana expressed it this way to me last night: "Tijuana wouldn't have respected a curfew order issued from the government the way this city has chosen to abide by the curfew order of CNGJ this weekend."

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.