Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15
Author: Subject: Container Home Construction Rancho Nuevo BCS
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-20-2023 at 08:32 PM

L,

As part of this project I’ve watched videos of shutter testing with a 2x4 cannon. 1/2 or 5/8 plywood seems to work if it’s supported well.

What is surprising is what doesn’t work. The accordion shutters popular around here will split open if they join in the middle rather pull across. The hi tech fabric ones stop the 2x4 as do the laminated glass windows but neither saves the window.

The thought here is not just to cover the window but to act as a sunshade when it’s not closed for high winds.

We used heavy gage galvanized sheet metal elsewhere. It’s quite strong and will be welded to a 1 1/2” angle iron frame. The laminated safety glass is about 3 1/2” behind it. The angle iron will have 1/4” neoprene tape between it and the steel frame. After we finish a panel I’ll walk on it and see how it flexes.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 08:35 PM
Shutter test stand

So here is the shutter/shade concept for the big front windows and the smaller 2nd floor windows.

Shutter closed view from outside. 45”X 72” 80KG The smaller shutter is only 40 KG.

We plan to install 2 28” 200lb gas shocks on each of the big shutters and smaller ones on the smaller shutters.

IMG_2462.jpeg - 93kB

Shutter half open

IMG_2463.jpeg - 89kB

Shutter as a shade

IMG_2464.jpeg - 103kB

Ground level patio finished

IMG_2466.jpeg - 127kB

While it’s unclear if the panels in this awning are glass or not. Our adjustable shades will look something like this after paint and trim.

IMG_4205.jpeg - 233kB

[Edited on 5-2-2023 by RFClark]

[Edited on 5-2-2023 by RFClark]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-1-2023 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
So here is the shutter/shade concept for the big front windows and the smaller 2nd floor windows.

Shutter closed view from outside. 45”X 72” 80KG The smaller shutter is only 40 KG.

We plan to install 2 28” 200lb gas shocks on each of the big shutters and smaller ones on the smaller shutters.

Shutter half open

Shutter as a shade

Your shutters look sort of steam punk.

Check out bahama shutters, in aluminum:

[Edited on 5-2-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 11:51 AM

Hi RFClark: Your system certainly looks very robust to me. We are looking for hurricane protection from penetration to the home, without the obvious shielding. We would be willing to sacrifice a window now and then to obtain stealth protection for long periods while we are away. As you seem to have investigated several options, did you come across anything not as visible when gone and does not need any setup before storms?
The triple laminate "Sentry Glas " option was not avaailable in the midst of Covid, so we ended up with double pane tempered glass instead.

Shutter half open

Shutter as a shade

[Edited on 5-2-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 12:03 PM

It would seem to me that c the concept of creating "shade" with heavy solid metal is counterintuitive, as the sun beating down on the metal will make the area underneath super hot.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 02:07 PM

JD,

I saw the test of several types of hurricane shutters. They shoot a 2x4 at them out of an air cannon. I was not impressed with the results. Plywood sheets worked well. The laminated hurricane glass shattered and, while the 2x4 didn’t go through it appeared that water would get in.

Most of our shade/shutters are on 2nd floor windows and after paint will look great from the ground. As they will be shades far more often than shutters,

S,

The plan is to paint the shutters with light colored reflective paint. Based on our experience with the solar palapa (last picture) heat radiating under the panels is not a problem. After we paint the 1st shutter I’ll see how hot it is and let everyone know. Many window awnings are made from various types of thin painted metal.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 04:16 PM

"Based on our experience with the solar palapa (last picture) heat radiating under the panels is not a problem."

But that structure is completely open on all sides- lots of air flow, which won't be the case with the metal panels over the windows . Also it isn't summer yet.

All I know is that my concrete roofs, which don't absorb heat nearly as much as metal, are painted white and in the summer they scorch your bare feet to walk on. Not sure what kind of "reflective" paint is available, but good luck.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 04:22 PM

S,

I think that you misunderstand. We only close the shutters for a hurricane. The rest of the time they are horizontal to the top of the window. Like an awning the angle is adjustable. As in the last picture of our shutter.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 06:43 PM

No, I haven't misunderstood- I get it that the shutter will be open and form a cover above the windows. I just think that a lot of heat will accumulate under them, but only experience will tell.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 07:43 PM

RFClark: If you paint those shutters in a reflective paint, while up if anything they should reduce solar heat hitting the house windows, walls and doors, isn't that the main reason we install solar shielding awnings? I can't see them increasing the heat gain, especially if you have the near constant northerly breezes like we do up here north of you.

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 08:13 PM

JD,

That’s my experience! With the air shocks they should adjust from “0” To “-45” degrees. That should block up to 50% of the heat from the sun. The reflective coating on the windows will block over half of what gets through. Less load for the AC!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 09:06 PM

JD,

That’s my experience! With the air shocks they should adjust from “0” To “-45” degrees. That should block up to 50% of the heat from the sun. The reflective coating on the windows will block over half of what gets through. Less load for the AC!

My concern right now is very poor water quality. You have any experience with atmospheric water generators like this one:

www.h20machine.com

Seems to me with our very high humidity and high temps we should be able to push the upper limits on it. I already tied my A/C units condensate into the non - potable water cisterna with results that exceeded my expectations, but could really use something to reduce those trips to refill the water bottles.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 09:19 PM

JD,

We’ve collected the water from our ACs for years. An 18K btu AC will output over 5 gal in 8-9 hrs. Past that if your roof is well insulated it will generate a lot of water at night if it’s clear. I’ve never bothered to collect it but it seems like a lot depending on the size of your roof. We had 1400 sq ft and i imagine 5-10 gal of water a night.

I also tested a dehumidifier 800W and in the summer it collected 4-5 gal in 8 hs. No reason you can't chlorinate the water and drink it.

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by RFClark]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 09:53 PM

JD,

We’ve collected the water from our ACs for years. An 18K btu AC will output over 5 gal in 8-9 hrs. Past that if your roof is well insulated it will generate a lot of water at night if it’s clear. I’ve never bothered to collect it but it seems like a lot depending on the size of your roof. We had 1400 sq ft and i imagine 5-10 gal of water a night.

I also tested a dehumidifier 800W and in the summer it collected 4-5 gal in 8 hs. No reason you can't chlorinate the water and drink it.

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by RFClark]

This particular system seems to be a filtered dehumidifier followed up by close to if not full RO filtering. Yes, our AC units also generate a lot of demineralized soft water for showers and washing dishes, etc. and since we have considerable excess solar at present, I am looking for ways we can use that free excess energy to produce more, I've considered dehumidifiers mounted outside, adding more heat pumps and collecting the compressor end and wall unit wasted water, but this system also negates the need to drive and pick up more drinking water every few days. I think in gas alone it would easily pay back what we set as a minimal payback period.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

...could really use something to reduce those trips to refill the water bottles.

After struggling with those damn garafons for years, I bought a Berkey water purifier. Best purchase I've made in years. You just pour tap water in the top, it filters through 2 large carbon filters and clean drinking water comes out the tap on the bottom. Filters out 99.99% of pathogens and heavy metals, leaves the beneficial minerals. Water tastes great. They come in several sizes, and are pricey to start with, but the filters are cleanable and last up to 7 years. I ordered mine online when I was in Canada last summer and brought it down with me. https://berkeywaterfiltercanada.ca/

Drinking chlorinated water, while it's certainly better than drinking water that is contaminated, and makes it possible for people all over the world to avoid water-borne diseases, has never been proven to be completely without health risks.

[Edited on 5-3-2023 by surabi]

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2023 at 11:05 PM

We don’t use that much bottled water and we go to the market which is across the street from the RO plant. We do treat our community water. We add chlorine and H2O2 weekly also Ozone bubble the water daily. I’d drink that water if necessary, but like most Baja ocean front water it has more salt in it than is good for you.

I’ve seen that “from air” system before. For us changing the filters would cost more than we pay for water now.

I’ve never tested the “from air water” for salt. I suspect it might have some in it too.

When we lived in San Felipe we ran our own RO system for years and drank that water with no problems.

Boiling the condensed “from air water” would probably be enough in an emergency.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 06:15 PM
This week it’s finishing the walls and build furniture

The cement guys are finishing up the inside and the last wall outside, the East wall. Pictures tomorrow.

We’re building more furniture while waiting for more shutter hinges.

IMG_2474.jpeg - 138kB
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2023 at 06:22 PM
This week it’s finishing the walls and build furniture

The cement guys are finishing up the inside and the last wall outside, the East wall. Pictures tomorrow.

We’re building more furniture while waiting for more shutter hinges.

IMG_2474.jpeg - 138kB IMG_2479.jpeg - 149kB

IMG_2478.jpeg - 122kB IMG_2480.jpeg - 91kB

The bistro set will have a teak top seats and backs. The coffee table will have teak inlays in the square and triangles.

The last picture is what the teak looks like before milling.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 04:20 PM
Last exterior wall is finished exterior trim and paint to do

IMG_2482.jpeg - 104kB

We’re done with the major exterior cement work. The scaffolding comes down soon.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 08:56 PM

Looking pretty awesome to me, RFC! Especially like the looks of the now painted shutters, as they blend right in. I will try to make a point of stopping in as I drive by if you are agreeable, would like to get some hints of how it all worked out.

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.