Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: House Generator
Markus10L
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
We have the 20KV Cummins Onan generator sourced from the La Paz Cummins dealer. We also have the transfer switch, don’t let anyone talk you out of a transfer switch. It is on the roof of the garage along with a 1000 liter propane tank that serves the house as well. It has worked great for us, not many issues, been doing it’s job for 9 years including 18 days without power during Hurricane Odile. On the few long outages we have had (over 24 hours continuous) we will run it a few hours at a time to conserve fuel and let the gen rest but it isn’t necessary. We run the pool pump, water pressure pump, fridges, fans and one AC at night. We have a diesel generator at another house down here, you don’t want that for what your needs will be. Be sure it is professionally installed!

I feel like I am leaning towards the same setup you have... I have a 250 gallon tank for the house but I am considering acquiring a separate tank just for the generator. I am going to reach out to Cummins to see what they are asking for the 20 kw. I assumed that the transfer switch would not be an option for the genny but required but I will take your advice and I will make sure it comes with one.

DTBushpilot- I have my private pilot license and worked as a skydiving instructor for 11 years. Do you still fly?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  
Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
We have the 20KV Cummins Onan generator sourced from the La Paz Cummins dealer. We also have the transfer switch, don’t let anyone talk you out of a transfer switch. It is on the roof of the garage along with a 1000 liter propane tank that serves the house as well. It has worked great for us, not many issues, been doing it’s job for 9 years including 18 days without power during Hurricane Odile. On the few long outages we have had (over 24 hours continuous) we will run it a few hours at a time to conserve fuel and let the gen rest but it isn’t necessary. We run the pool pump, water pressure pump, fridges, fans and one AC at night. We have a diesel generator at another house down here, you don’t want that for what your needs will be. Be sure it is professionally installed!

I feel like I am leaning towards the same setup you have... I have a 250 gallon tank for the house but I am considering acquiring a separate tank just for the generator. I am going to reach out to Cummins to see what they are asking for the 20 kw. I assumed that the transfer switch would not be an option for the genny but required but I will take your advice and I will make sure it comes with one.

DTBushpilot- I have my private pilot license and worked as a skydiving instructor for 11 years. Do you still fly?

I don’t, sold the 180 several years ago. I wasn’t flying enough any more. I moved full time to MX and the plane was hangared in New Mexico. I had many years of adventure with it.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Keithcapt
Banned

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 11:04 PM

As a guy that's been doing this for a living since 1982 , on boats, ships, my east cape pad and RVs,, trailers,&.5thwheels I van tell its not one simple answer.. If u want to have a pro help U for Free,, I'm willing to help ya.. If U give back to the
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 05:58 AM

in a disaster...natural gas will be shut off for safety by the gas company...no fuel for the generator

propane wont be delivered for weeks...at 2 gallons an hour you will run out of propane pretty fast

diesel and gas is always available...if you have pesos truck and cars always have gas to sell...

mark is on the grid...all he needs is a baby generator to plug in the fridg and use lights...no need for ac in a disaster

a small honda 2000 will fit the bill and sip gas

electric will be on soon enough and hes home free...

i'd worry more how to get food and drinking water

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 07:54 AM

I use my Honda 2000 when power goes out same deal. Ref. one light TV and internet. It will not run my water pump stand alone or water heater or AC. So I will get harbor freight 6500 gen I think about 800 bucks. Even that is china junk the little I use it should last.
Markus10L
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 08:22 AM

Yes, hondas would foot the bill for what is needed- refrigerator, lights, fans, internet, etc.

I say internet because my girlfriend works from home and I am trying to follow those steps so that I can stay down here for good.

I am gravitating towards the house generator because of convenience and comfortability. No I do not need an AC, washer/dryer, or hot water (instant hot water heater). But, I have these things on the house because of creature comforts.

I am sure a lot of people have pools even though they are not too far from the ocean but they have them because its something that makes them comfortable.

I am going to go to Cummins in the near future and price out the 20 Kw system. I am not an expert in this area but I feel that the air cooled LPG house generator may be best for what I am looking for.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 08:49 AM

As an interesting addition to this discussion, dealers in California say that they can no longer sell Honda power products because of changes in California law.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 10:29 AM

Markus: I think you are choosing the right path. It's a very complicated issue and depends primarily on what you want out of your investment(emergency backup of highest priority equipment only, or full functionality). We fortunately drew from the experience of Como El Sol and their solar system installations located near you in Pescadero.
They were the ones that suggested the sizing as they knew what our power needs were. They also pointed us to Cummins in La Paz, worked with them on the installation and tuning for our combined system and we got a very robust reliable installation as a result.
The only thing I would change is the storage tank to a significantly larger size, and that only because of remote delivery issues. The cost difference in sizing is not significant once installation is factored in.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Markus10L
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Markus: I think you are choosing the right path. It's a very complicated issue and depends primarily on what you want out of your investment(emergency backup of highest priority equipment only, or full functionality). We fortunately drew from the experience of Como El Sol and their solar system installations located near you in Pescadero.
They were the ones that suggested the sizing as they knew what our power needs were. They also pointed us to Cummins in La Paz, worked with them on the installation and tuning for our combined system and we got a very robust reliable installation as a result.
The only thing I would change is the storage tank to a significantly larger size, and that only because of remote delivery issues. The cost difference in sizing is not significant once installation is factored in.

What size do you suggest?

I have a 250 gallon tank for the range and water heater. I do not believe that it will be a reliable source to purpose both the generator and LPG needs for normal living at the house. Since LPG does not go bad I was planning on a 500 gallon tank in case of emergencies.

Depending on the outage and possibly size of disaster I will be able to either use sparingly or use for normal living conditions. I might see if the tank can be tied into the house as well in case there is a large disaster and propane is not easily accessible.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

What size do you suggest?

I have a 250 gallon tank for the range and water heater. I do not believe that it will be a reliable source to purpose both the generator and LPG needs for normal living at the house. Since LPG does not go bad I was planning on a 500 gallon tank in case of emergencies.

Depending on the outage and possibly size of disaster I will be able to either use sparingly or use for normal living conditions. I might see if the tank can be tied into the house as well in case there is a large disaster and propane is not easily accessible.
I ended up just purchasing a second tank dedicated for the generator.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 04:22 PM

500 gal with an existing 250 gal left in place sounds fine to me. More options that way than replacing with a 500 to 1000 gal.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
As an interesting addition to this discussion, dealers in California say that they can no longer sell Honda power products because of changes in California law.
Yes the nuts in CA have there problems all just buy out of state.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2022 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Lots of gasoline powered portable generator for sale at my Home Depot! Honda? Don’t know, but does it matter? Many other brands available.

The “zero emissions” requirement for small engines like generators doesn’t go into effect until 2028 (some yard tools will have earlier van date). Generators their energ systems will evolve to meet the demand and the mandates.

I like that they are banning gasoline-powered mowers, leaf blowers, etc. Noisy, polluting beasts! I use battery powered yard tools, they work great!

The California mandates will force new technological development, the end result will be good; and healthier environment here and world-wide!

Why are you old fogeys complaining that in 6 years they won’t be able to buy ancient/obsolete technology? You complainers probably spent a lot of time moaning over typewriters being replaced by computers and landlines being replaced by mobile phones!

Go back to 1970s Los Angeles,… air regulations forced change in automobiles and smokestacks, and air is much cleaner today. Regulatory-driven change is often good!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 04:22 AM

"Go back to 1970s Los Angeles,… air regulations forced change in automobiles and smokestacks, and air is much cleaner today. Regulatory-driven change is often good!"

not cleaner but clearer...

dont be fooled the chemicals are in the air poisoning you

the part here i dont understand is why get a back up generator that you wont have fuel for... propane will not be available during a disaster

and a 500 gallon tank? geeezzzz $1500usa to fill that thing and what if it leaks in the disaster?

just because the name is cummings doesnt mean its the engine in a semi that goes and goes...its a china clone piece of junk...

dont cheap out

our website is:
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 06:59 AM

You pay a whole lot more than we do for propane it seems. My problem with the smaller gas powered generators on gasoline is the reliability when you need them. Last time I needed one in a power failure, it refused to start, so I was tearing apart the carbs and cleaning them in the dark using a flashlight. Even with fuel stabilizer in the tank, gasoline will leave deposits on the jets and require more maintenance. We do a test run on our propane 13 kw Cummins remotely from Canada at least once every couple months, run it for 5 to 10 min and shut it down.
In addition, propane or natural gas are the cleaner fuels when it comes to pollution, and propane in a storage tank is the most reliable if you are in a remote location.
Like i said...everyone has different needs based on their location and power needs. Our 3kw gas generator we have here would only run our gas furnace and hot water tank to keep us heated, running the 2 fridges and freezer at the same time would require a significantly larger one, so we would have to swap out loads and stored food between them to get through any significant length of power disruption.

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by JDCanuck]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 07:22 AM

Craigslist in the US has 5000 watt Briggs and Stratton powered gensets for sale under $200 often.
I have several at different locations.
The one I have in Mex is used about 20 hours a year during power outages.
Refrigerator,pumps and a few lights. I maintain them well and they are reliable.
Friends on solar in Mex use Honda eu3000 for backup during periods of cloudy weather.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 09:24 AM

B &S,

What do all your neighbors in Mexico cook with, gasoline, Diesel, or propane? You know those big blue and green cylinders or the white tanks. All of the above come in to Baja on the same road by truck.

[Edited on 9-17-2022 by RFClark]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 10:52 AM

i use propane...the little 30kg tanks
6 for each hotwater heater
1 for the dryer
1 for the stove
1 for the back up stove
5 extra tanks in the garage

i use little tanks to limit loss if they leak
they cost 850 pesos exchange each

here..we are talking about running a backup generator on propane... the one discussed uses 2 gallons of propane an hour

in an emergency... once the propane is used there will not be replacement fuel until after the emergency...no refills

any generator needs to be "exercised" weekly to make sure it runs when needed...

the battery will go dead if not started

our website is:
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 11:23 AM

B&S,

The standard for testing backup power under load in the US is monthly. Most standby plants incorporate a battery charger, mine does. In addition to the large tank I have a adaptor hose that allows it to be refilled from any small tank.

The house we just sold had a large tank (300 gal) and two 90lb tanks on a separate regulator with auto change over. They were on different sides of the house and fed a common steel distribution system. There were also valves to isolate either source from the system.

Yes, I did have to use them a few times over 15 years so I was glad I installed them.

Having a plan B or even C is important when you live out in the country.

We also have a 4X4 that runs on propane and has a 35 gal tank! It’s “C”.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 11:33 AM

"As a general rule, a generator should be exercised without a load between once a week and once a month. Testing with a load should be done on a monthly or quarterly basis. Your generator's exercise cycle may be automated by a timer, which ensures the generator is tested on a regular basis.Aug 6, 2020"

better have a good battery if you use the once a month timeframe

our website is:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.