Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: House Generator
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 11:55 AM

12V Li ion replacements are a wonderful thing. Our’s has one along with the charger. Bigger gen sets are not recommended to be run w/o load. I usually use an electric heater to load check the portable units. That’s because surging is one of the things you need to test non-inverter gen sets for.

Testing the transfer switch regularly is also important as they are usually more of a problem than the plants. Plants with radiators do need to be checked more often than air cooled plants. That’s why I like air cooled plants.

The most common standby plant problems are:

1) bad or contaminated fuel

2) dead or bad lead acid battery

3) radiator problems in water cooled plants

4) bad transfer switch
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 01:28 PM

It's a starting battery, same as your car. How long does your car battery last?

Size might vary but it's easy enough to replace a small battery with a larger one. The battery gets recharged when the generator is running during the exercise period. Not hard to add a small quality battery tender if you are really worried about it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 01:45 PM

this poster ONLY needs a "gas sipping" honda 2000

he has CFE service

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  

The purpose of the genny is for power outages for a few days at a time. I am connected to CFE and have been down here in the house for about a month now and have had 2 days w/o power (Kay). I heard that the area that I am in it is not uncommon for the power to go out maybe 4-6 days a year.

Easiest solution for rare power outages is keep supply of candles, and a small gen or house battery just for the refrigerator/freezer.
Probably cheaper to occasionally throw out thawed/spoiled food than to buy expensive large whole-house generator and fuel tanks, and associated maintenance.
How much cold food do you store?
Can you live without AC for a day or 2?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
this poster ONLY needs a "gas sipping" honda 2000

he has CFE service

Maybe he just needs candles and flashlights :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 05:46 PM

In my experience, living on the mainland coast where the power goes out fairly often during the summer storms, food keeps fine in the fridge and freezer for up to 16 hours or so, as long as you don't open it much and are quick about it when you do.

And as far as lights go, there are some super bright solar light systems these days. This one, BioLite, is a nice simple little unit that I used when camping. It also has a USB port you can use if you need to charge your phone.
Markus10L
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 06:21 PM

Yeah,

- Connected to CFE
- Not going to die without AC
- EU 2000 probably can run a freezer and refrigerator or a combination of two can.

I lived in a van full time for 3 years and part time for a year, fifth wheels, and couch surfed my whole life.

I have roughed it all the way to this point of my life and now and am very fortunate to be able to have a house in an incredibly beautiful place. Worked on the road doing 84 hour work weeks to get to this point and am looking to not do that anymore.

I want to transition into a work from home part-time position so I can start college online. So the electricity and being comfortable while doing a job that sucks and going to school full time is pretty vital. The small gennys no doubt will work to save food and operate some portable fans (have plenty of candles). Likely I will bring down a genny from Cali come here soon as a Plan B until I can afford to make it a plan C.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and personal solutions but after weighing it out, I am going to go with the 20KW aircooled cummins with an additional 500 gallon tank which can also serve as back up LPG for my 250 gallon tank that purposes the range and water heater.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 08:39 PM

https://ca.bioliteenergy.com/products/solarhome-620-plus

This is the solar light system I mentioned, which doesn't feel like roughing it at all. However, having lived in roughing it situations I can certainly understand wanting life to be easier.

This lighting system comes with 2 hanging lights and a motion sensor light as well, which could come in handy if it's pitch dark out and you have to go out and fire up the generator.

[Edited on 9-18-2022 by surabi]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
https://ca.bioliteenergy.com/products/solarhome-620-plus

This is the solar light system I mentioned, which doesn't feel like roughing it at all. However, having lived in roughing it situations I can certainly understand wanting life to be easier.

This lighting system comes with 2 hanging lights and a motion sensor light as well, which could come in handy if it's pitch dark out and you have to go out and fire up the generator.

[Edited on 9-18-2022 by surabi]

Interesting products.

I am always looking for a practical, single-light option for in the tent, while backpacking. The Luci Base Light is still it, for me. Collapsible, 360 lumens, three levels of intensity plus a flashing option AND it can charge a phone as it has USB in and out. But it is 10.5 oz, whereas this is less than 4 oz. And it is a directional light, whereas the Luci is omni directional. My directional light option is a headlamp powered by two AAA batts.

The big solar headlamp looks interesting. It better be, at 100 bucks for a headlamp.

Thanks for posting the link.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 01:46 PM

Yeah,

- Connected to CFE
- EU 2000 probably can run a freezer and refrigerator or a combination of two can.

I lived in a van full time for 3 years and part time for a year, fifth wheels, and couch surfed my whole life.

I have roughed it all the way to this point of my life and now and am very fortunate to be able to have a house in an incredibly beautiful place. Worked on the road doing 84 hour work weeks to get to this point and am looking to not do that anymore.

I want to transition into a work from home part-time position so I can start college online. So the electricity and being comfortable while doing a job that sucks and going to school full time is pretty vital. The small gennys no doubt will work to save food and operate some portable fans (have plenty of candles). Likely I will bring down a genny from Cali come here soon as a Plan B until I can afford to make it a plan C.

I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and personal solutions but after weighing it out, I am going to go with the 20KW aircooled cummins with an additional 500 gallon tank which can also serve as back up LPG for my 250 gallon tank that purposes the range and water heater.

You’re on the right track Marcus, you will love it. Ignore the naysayers about running out of propane, your generator will run for a long time on 500 gallons. When you know there is a weather event make sure your tanks are full, it’s not complicated. Your generator will be running at 1/4 capacity and sipping fuel. I did without creature comforts for much of my younger years, I don’t any more. There is something very satisfying about hearing the gen fire up and everything come back on 5 seconds after the power goes out.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 07:40 PM

Propane is around $3.00/gal. Having lights and AC when it’s dark all around you, priceless!

We were still running off grid after the big Malibu fire in the mid ‘70s we and the ranch over on Buzzard’s Peak were the only lights for miles for weeks!

We had a PE-95Q stationary gas plant. Google that!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 07:47 PM

My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs. They also have water pressure pumps directly from their well into the house . So in a brown-out, me with my old analog meter still has dim lights and water from my gravity-fed water system, while they are in the dark, scooping water out of the pool to flush the toilet.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs.

Woah, is this in Baja? :O

No, on the mainland. Also, people I know who were forced into smart meters after having an analog, because, for instance, the old meter stopped functioning, now have higher bills than they did before, even though their personal habits and appliances haven't changed. Those smart meters are constantly flashing numbers, which I think sucks more electricity than the slow-turning wheel on the old meters. Otherwise there is no other explanation for the higher kwhs used.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
My neighbors, who all built after I did, got stuck with smart meters, which cut the electricity in brown-outs.

Woah, is this in Baja? :O

No, on the mainland. Also, people I know who were forced into smart meters after having an analog, because, for instance, the old meter stopped functioning, now have higher bills than they did before, even though their personal habits and appliances haven't changed. Those smart meters are constantly flashing numbers, which I think sucks more electricity than the slow-turning wheel on the old meters. Otherwise there is no other explanation for the higher kwhs used.

similar reports here in baja

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 05:22 AM

propane here in baja is not 3 bucks a gallon but $5.31 a gallon

a 500 gallon tank can ONLY be filled to 80% or 400 gallons

400 x 5.31 = $2125 JUST TO FILL THE TANK

honda 2000 looks better and better for a back up until the cfe turns on the power again

i can still buy a running car or motorcycle for 2k

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 05:53 AM

last month I paid 2996 pesos for 244 liters, Zeta gas delivered, 300 liter tank.

or 2996/20 = 150 dollars for 244/3.785 = 64.5 gallons

150/64.5 = $2.33 per gallon

I'm reading the receipt now, it's in my hand.

Add a 100 peso tip.

[Edited on 9-19-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Yeah,

- Connected to CFE

You’re on the right track Marcus, you will love it. Ignore the naysayers about running out of propane, your generator will run for a long time on 500 gallons. When you know there is a weather event make sure your tanks are full, it’s not complicated. Your generator will be running at 1/4 capacity and sipping fuel. I did without creature comforts for much of my younger years, I don’t any more. There is something very satisfying about hearing the gen fire up and everything come back on 5 seconds after the power goes out.
A diesel generator is much more efficient and trouble free. My 10Kw Kubota burns 1 -1.35 liters per hour and is rated to last 20,000 hours. It set me back $5500 brand new.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

last month I paid 2996 pesos for 244 liters, Zeta gas delivered, 300 liter tank.

Add a 100 peso tip.

They give bob a special price
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Add a 100 peso tip.

They give bob a special price
He must be getting the "premium" propane.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 10:08 AM

I can't understand why Americans insist on converting everything to US measurements. Propane and gas are sold by the liter in Mexico (as they are in most countries in the world). Why not just say how much you paid per litre in pesos, instead of all the currency and measurement conversions?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.