BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Any recent reports of damaged, or repaired roads?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
you don't need to be a member to view...but if you're not down with FB don't bother:D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BajaRoads

Ahhh, now there's a page I can't see (for a change)! LOL
That must mean it is a 'Talk Baja' page?
I am a member of the growing 'Banned from Talk Baja' group! LOL

This one I CAN see! Must be public.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 08:50 AM

One last post to clarify what I was saying regarding FB links..........from my laptop these "Baja Roads" and "VivaBaja" links go to "YOU MUST LOG IN" page.

From my iPhone they both open to view the FB page.

Ok, sorry to hijack. Apologies to those looking for road report.

Que tengo un buen dia.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 02:28 PM

I have a facebook account because it seems to be the fastest way to get info. about things like this in BCS, And some attractive women seem to want to be my friend. hahaha. My house is in La Bocana, internet still on and off.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 03:31 PM

FB is also good if you have specific interests. For example, I like classic runabouts and 50s/60s American cars. I've joined several groups of like-minded people.

The Baja groups are OK if something unusual is happening, like a storm, otherwise, they're all newbie posts about FMMs, safety, and what border crossing to use.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 07:31 PM

Mexicali to San Felipe Hwy 5 Report.

The report is nothing to report! The road is fine. There’s one small undermine around KM 24 south of the airport turnoff.

We passed 7 NB Roadrunner trucks around SF so the road south to Constitution is open again.

Judging by the runoff probably 3 -4” of rain south of SF, the wind blew the rain past the gage.

Ocotillos are as green as I have ever seen them, first flowers are coming out. Noseems are flying wingtip to wingtip!

Wish you all were here! (To help feed them!)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 02:09 PM

Discover Baja just posted that Hwy 1 and 5 are open with some detours.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Discover Baja just posted that Hwy 1 and 5 are open with some detours.

After suffering damage from Tropical Storm Kay, Highway Mexico 1 is now fully open to traffic and passable to all vehicles all the way down to Cabo. Highway Mexico 5 is also open and passable. Please note that there are still detours as well as some hazards such as mud and rocks on the road in places. Please drive slowly and only during daylight hours. Gas is readily available all along the peninsula.

Tropical Storm Madeline is approaching this week but is on path to veer off into the Pacific and not make landfall on the peninsula. There will still be some rain in Baja on Tuesday and Wednesday so please take caution when driving in areas that have already sustained damage from the last storm.

Our Road Conditions page has the latest information as well as more specific updates...

Road Conditions:

UPDATED September 20, 2022

TROPICAL STORM KAY UPDATE

Highway Mexico 1 is now open and passable all the way down the peninsula but there are many washouts and detours along the way. There are also areas with mud and rocks along the side of the road. Some hazards are marked, but many are not. Take it slow, expect delays, and (as always), only drive during in the daylight.

Highway Mexico 5 is also open and passable.

There is a large detour north of Guerrero Negro where Highway 1 washed out. Travelers are currently experiencing about a 15 minute wait to cross.
The north road to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) from San Ignacio is currently NOT passable. The southern road from Insurgentes is passable with a high clearance vehicle.

Gas is readily available all along the peninsula. Some stations are currently not able to accept credit cards, so having cash to pay for gas is a good idea.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 07:44 PM

That's the kind of info I am looking for! I will be heading south tomorrow, and still considering the route south from Bahia de Los Angeles.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 08:09 PM
Bahia de Los Angeles

I drove down to the bay today, and that road has had some major damage! Some sections appear to have been buried, and others were washed away completely, including a section of the bridge across the arroyo at the bottom of the canyon.

If you come this way, use caution anywhere near the edge of the pavement, because there has been severe erosion of some of the shoulders to the point of being undercut.

Detours have been made around the missing pavement, but there does not appear to be any real repairs being done yet, and those repairs will not be easy.

I took a left turn at the washed-out bridge to reach a friend's house (where I am now), so I have not seen what has happened in town or on the road headed north along the bay. I will check that out tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to make a pass through to San Francisquito and El Alamo.

[Edited on 9-23-2022 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2022 at 06:39 AM

Thanks AK... and I bet you mean El Arco, not El Alamo? Looking forward to your findings!

TLBaja79 has posted a road report this (FRI) morning, and sent me photos to share, here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=98002

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2022 at 07:01 PM

El Arco to hwy 1 is ok, rough but ok, careful on the sides of the road, sneaky axle breakers

Past El Arco towards Santa Gertrudis is not passable as of 9/22. Not sure about the road towards San Francisquito.

Good Luck
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2022 at 08:11 PM

To be more specific, the road was closed at Rancho Miraflores, about halfway between El Arco and Mission Santa Gertrudis... what I read earlier.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2022 at 07:55 AM

Pt. Chivato
We've had a few updates on the repair progress on the two roads and water line leading to our homes. With some very generous donations and help from a few people the repairs continue on the road and the water line. The road is now passable and most have water service now.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-24-2022 at 11:02 AM
I drove the road from BOLA to Sanfrancisquito, then back out to El Arco 9/23

This will be a short version, to be updated when I get to a WIFI site that is not like a sauna, filled with flies. This weather agrees with them!

I drove both roads in my Isuzu Trooper, which is stock except for oversize tires (265/75/16). It has 4x4 and a limited slip or posi traction type rear end.

There are some excellent sections that did not get wiped out, but they all come to an abrupt end sooner or later, and nothing has been repaired or marked!

I chose to drive the entire length in 2wd just to see if that was an option, and it worked for me, but just barely. I would not drive any heavy camper rigs even with 4x4, because some of the washouts and self designed detours would take a lot of work to get any thing larger than my Trooper through.

The same advice goes double for towing even a utility trailer. There is lots of loose sand, a bit of rock crawling, and at the time I drove it there was tll a bit of mud that seems to be drying fairly quickly.

The road down to San Francisquito is actually pretty good, but the steep grade between Bahia San Raphael and the junction with the El Alamo road is a challenge.

Coming in from El Arco toward the bay, the stopping point is the section passing by Piedra Blanca. Not only did the road wash out, but the high ground it was sitting on is gone! There was a couple of miles of driving in deep sand down the arroyo, and a questionable detour just east of the ranch that looks like it was just macheted through the brush and no attempt to make it a road.

For what it is worth, the dirt road between El Arco and Vizcaino was very soft and slightly overgrown, but fairly smooth and passable in 2wd.

More later, but I don't know when.

Previewing this post, I see that I forgot to turn off the Bold type after one line. Ignore it, I' not doing this over!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-24-2022 at 11:06 AM
One more thing

I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, It is what I look for on my trips down here!

If you are thinking of a place to do a 4x4 run, the time is now, and the scenery is spectacular!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-26-2022 at 10:23 AM
Any questions, or interest in the road I just drove?

I am finally where I have a reliable internet connection and could give some more of my impression of the route, if there is any interest.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2022 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
This will be a short version, to be updated when I get to a WIFI site that is not like a sauna, filled with flies. This weather agrees with them!

I drove both roads in my Isuzu Trooper, which is stock except for oversize tires (265/75/16). It has 4x4 and a limited slip or posi traction type rear end.

There are some excellent sections that did not get wiped out, but they all come to an abrupt end sooner or later, and nothing has been repaired or marked!

I chose to drive the entire length in 2wd just to see if that was an option, and it worked for me, but just barely. I would not drive any heavy camper rigs even with 4x4, because some of the washouts and self designed detours would take a lot of work to get any thing larger than my Trooper through.

The same advice goes double for towing even a utility trailer. There is lots of loose sand, a bit of rock crawling, and at the time I drove it there was tll a bit of mud that seems to be drying fairly quickly.

The road down to San Francisquito is actually pretty good, but the steep grade between Bahia San Raphael and the junction with the El Alamo road is a challenge.

El Arco, yes?
Quote:

Coming in from El Arco toward the bay, the stopping point is the section passing by Piedra Blanca. Not only did the road wash out, but the high ground it was sitting on is gone! There was a couple of miles of driving in deep sand down the arroyo, and a questionable detour just east of the ranch that looks like it was just macheted through the brush and no attempt to make it a road.

For what it is worth, the dirt road between El Arco and Vizcaino was very soft and slightly overgrown, but fairly smooth and passable in 2wd.

Do you meant the shortcut road from near Pierdra Blanca to near Vizcaino, via Guillermo Prieto? Avoids going the long way around through El Arco. However, after the storm, I wonder how the north end of it did, as it crosses an arroyo and climbs a hill??

Quote:
More later, but I don't know when.

Previewing this post, I see that I forgot to turn off the Bold type after one line. Ignore it, I' not doing this over!

Thanks for such a well-traveled, field work report!

For a visual aid of this area:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-26-2022 at 05:14 PM

David, the road I took toward Vizcaino is not on your map. It is from right in the center of the town, and heads just about due south toward Guillermo Prieto.

I did not try the route that connects near Piedra Blanca because it was a challenge last year before the storm!

[Edited on 9-27-2022 by AKgringo]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2022 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, the road I took toward Vizcaino is not on your map. It is from right in the center of the town, and heads just about due south toward Guillermo Prieto.

I did not try the route that connects near Piedra Blanca because it was a challenge last year before the storm!

Oh, okay... I know the road... That was the original road to La Paz before the highway... I traveled it as a kid in 1966.

It is on the AAA maps, too. Here is the 1974 map:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-26-2022 at 05:39 PM

I don't have the new Almanac in front of me right now, but I think that is marked as part of the "Baja Divide" route. I gotta say, I would hate to be peddling a bicycle through all the soft sand I encountered!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.