Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Offline Maps for Hiking and Offroading
StephandBlake

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 12:07 PM
Offline Maps for Hiking and Offroading

Hello. New to BajaNomad!

I am interested in apps for my iPhone/iPad as well as maps I can access on my laptop that show not only roads (including jeep roads) but also names of geologic features (canyons, streams, peaks, etc.). I am particularly interested in apps that allow downloading maps for use in the field when there is no internet access. Normally we use Gaia while in the US, but their map of Mexico is not very detailed.

What do you recommend? Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 02:30 PM

Welcome to Nomad!

Benchmark's Baja California Road & Recreation Atlas' main maps are available to download onto your phone or tablet. With your device's built-in GPS, the cross-hairs show your location on the map! No cell coverage needed once you load it. You can also record tracks on the map! I used it going to Mission Santa MarĂ­a, last March. Worked great, see samples of the track below!

Here is the download link on Avenza ($19.99):
https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1250162/baja-california-atla...

Yes, the El Camino Real is also plotted on the Baja Atlas!

Like Maps of Baja... I have quite a large, online collection you can enjoy: https://vivabaja.com/maps/

[Edited on 9-15-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 02:47 PM

May not be what you want but google maps can be downloaded, you can download the entire region as a local file. You can see trails, everything needed to navigate out of the brecha.
StephandBlake

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 03:10 PM

Thanks so much, David, for the link. Map's been downloaded. Exactly what I wanted.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StephandBlake  
Hello. New to BajaNomad!

I am interested in apps for my iPhone/iPad as well as maps I can access on my laptop that show not only roads (including jeep roads) but also names of geologic features (canyons, streams, peaks, etc.). I am particularly interested in apps that allow downloading maps for use in the field when there is no internet access. Normally we use Gaia while in the US, but their map of Mexico is not very detailed.

I am out in the field every week at least once.
Among all apps Gaia GPS with Mexican topo maps (INEGI) is the best
all others are far behind in detail
you need to preload all needed tiles of the topo maps when online

Avenza with Benchmark's Baja California Road & Recreation Atlas is not useful for hiking or details when used on a phone
it is OK for a general overview on the iPad or computer

I prepare for all trips with Google Earth and download the needed image files for offline work.

I was out scouting yesterday and the final decision which trail to take was without exception left to Google Earth. The 1:50,000 topo maps do not have enough detail for delicate trails.
That's why hiking maps (if available) are 1:20,000
for that reason I sometimes download 1:20k topos directly from INEGI and keep them on my laptop.
I found that a lightweight laptop beats any tablet when it comes to document use.

for 1:20k maps: https://www.inegi.org.mx/temas/topografia/#Descargas

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.01.54 PM.png - 71kB

Harald Pietschmann
StephandBlake

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
May not be what you want but google maps can be downloaded, you can download the entire region as a local file. You can see trails, everything needed to navigate out of the brecha.

Thanks, GNUKID, for the pointer. I was really wanting to get canyons, streams, etc. Google maps doesn't have that level of detail (at least what I'm seeing). However, I do think there would be a use for the Google maps for driving on actual roads. If it's not too much trouble, can you tell me how to download the maps to my iPhone?
StephandBlake

[*] posted on 9-15-2022 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by StephandBlake  
Hello. New to BajaNomad!

Thanks, Harald. I'll have to take some time to look further into your recommendations.

I am out in the field every week at least once.
Among all apps Gaia GPS with Mexican topo maps (INEGI) is the best
all others are far behind in detail
you need to preload all needed tiles of the topo maps when online

Avenza with Benchmark's Baja California Road & Recreation Atlas is not useful for hiking or details when used on a phone
it is OK for a general overview on the iPad or computer

I prepare for all trips with Google Earth and download the needed image files for offline work.

I was out scouting yesterday and the final decision which trail to take was without exception left to Google Earth. The 1:50,000 topo maps do not have enough detail for delicate trails.
That's why hiking maps (if available) are 1:20,000
for that reason I sometimes download 1:20k topos directly from INEGI and keep them on my laptop.
I found that a lightweight laptop beats any tablet when it comes to document use.

for 1:20k maps: https://www.inegi.org.mx/temas/topografia/#Descargas

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.