Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Lots of Dodos at La paz
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2022 at 06:52 PM
Lots of Dodos at La paz

Did 2 days fishing at La Paz with Tailhunters last week right after the hurricane

We got lots of dorado
In fact so many we stopped fishing because our arms were done for.
Fished both sides and got fish on both sides
Had one marlin hookup on a small sardine that broke off.
Largest dodo was 40+ lbs Small ones were 10-12 lbs.
Most of the dodos came under floating trash from hurricane.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 06:33 AM

When you say both sides, do you mean both sides of the Cape? Both sides of Cerralvo? ???
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 08:40 AM

They are catching Dorado on Pacific Side--Todos Santos. I'm sure Lopez Mateos/ Mag Bay is also a good bet!
CaboHenry
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-18-2022 at 08:56 PM

Glad to hear you had a great trip with TailHunters fleet. I had heard the TailHunters restaurant in La Paz is closed. Never to reopen(?). Does anyone know if that's true? Hope not.... Great place. https://tailhunter.com/tailhunter-restaurant-bar/
Sandiluvslapaz

[*] posted on 9-19-2022 at 07:36 PM

How much does Tailhunters charge for a day on a Panga? I heard it was a lot!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
When you say both sides, do you mean both sides of the Cape? Both sides of Cerralvo? ???

Oh, I just figured it was port and starboard.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 05:08 PM

1st day we fished out of La Paz and the south end Espirito Santo
2nd day we fished at the end of 286 Bahia del Los Suenos east of La Paz and the south end of Ceralvo

Tailhunter restaurant is open and operating with great food We ate there every day

Tailhunter doesn't do just a boat rental they do a full service fishing trip - everything included- great fishing guides, hotel, breakfast and lunch while fishing, all fishing gear, filet and freezing. They arrange everything.
Yes it is pricey but it works for us.

Sometimes the experience and memory are worth more than the money!
My friend and I have fished and hunted and known each other for over 50 years, the time is short but the memories are long between us.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 06:32 PM

The ticket for gringo a$$ package frozen fresh out of the china bag preprepared microwave restaurant meals with all English $peaking staff and guides at Cabo prices! Love it like a predictable Swansons TV dinner Coco$Shramp&Krab with processed potatoes.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 07:39 PM

Does anyone understand what is said above?
I have no idea what he is talking about
Maybe its too many cervesas at this hour

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
The ticket for gringo a$$ package frozen fresh out of the china bag preprepared microwave restaurant meals with all English $peaking staff and guides at Cabo prices! Love it like a predictable Swansons TV dinner Coco$Shramp&Krab with processed potatoes.

Paul,
You are a gringo, Don’t forget it!
Why do you think your gringo, pansy-@ss, conspiracy-filled, faux granola lunacy is any better than some other gringo’s lunacy?
You subscribe to so many right wingnut whacko theories that you are a caricature of a Peter Pan trust fund baby.
Why don’t you open a restaurant and serve all the gringos your lunatic soup and organic veggie burgers?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2022 at 08:22 PM

Well this got interesting really fast...........grabbing some popcorn.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2022 at 07:14 AM

Jesus Christo! All I did was go fishing.

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2022 at 01:16 PM

J and J are awesome ... Their services, their principles, THEY are awesome. Everything Jonathan does is to provide top-of-the-line services to visitors while putting locals to work. They are the REAL REEL Deal.

Great to see Cliffy's reporting.

Saludos, Lori

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2022 at 05:04 PM

Great fishing at Muertos with the regulars last couple days, I totally understand some people want a $$$ gringo experience but there are also other authentic options. My experience with tail hunter is it's very expensive, not authentic and low quality. It's up to the customer to choose.

muertosdorado.jpeg - 289kB murtosdorado2.jpeg - 224kB muertosmarlin.jpeg - 107kB Tuna.jpeg - 84kB gallo.jpeg - 77kB
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2022 at 05:24 PM

Don't quite understand the "not authentic and low quality" bit.

Having fished Baja for over 40 years (maybe longer than you've been alive but for sure longer than you've fished Baja)from north to south with a lay off for the last 8 or 10 years and being as I've seen way more than 7 decades on this planet AND seeing as I was treating a life long friend to a repeat of Baja fishing after 20 years of not being in Baja with him,( and not not wanting to go the route of trying to find where and who to go with this time, bring the tackle, do all the other attendant stuff) I elected for a packaged trip from someone well thought of, someone I knew of for over a decade and one who could do all "the arranging".

For us this time, it worked out perfect including freezing our catch for the flight home.
Yes its expensive to do it that way but like I said - sometimes the memories are worth more than the money

But still at a loss about "authentic and low quality"? Same boats, same types of boat Captains, same fishing grounds I guess there are things I just don't understand anymore.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 11:46 AM

Sheesh Gnukid, hostile much? Typical "locals only" mentality, as if going out in a smelly panga with no toilet and no ice and bringing back a bunch of half rotten fish is somehow preferable to a tourist spending a bunch of money for a quality experience while supporting the local economy.

Me, I just drive over to Catalina Offshore Products and buy sushi grade fish at their local fish market, $27 a pound for ahi loin (Yellowfin Tuna) and worth every cent. Can be eaten raw, "blackened" on a cast iron skillit with a little oil and soy sauce and served with rice, or made into ahi tacos --

[Edited on 9-22-2022 by bajaric]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 12:55 PM

Everybody is welcome to their opinion. When I use tourism guides, restaurants etc that claim to provide quality yet, overcharge and are apparently totally disconnected from hands on quality customer service that is concerning and frustrating in that it reflects badly on everyone in the region.

We have many people coming to visit the region and many great captains and boats. I have always given each business an opportunity and given them a shot.

Does Tailhunter have their own pangas? Where?

Anyone who wants to can go to Tailhunter restaurant or make reservations with them can do it.

As a customer with experience tying to go fishing and eat and support restaurants and guides, I am disappointed in the company, perhaps my expectations were too high?

in terms of a quality experience, the food and customer service at the restaurant has been a huge disappointment but perhaps some people want what they provide, which is chain style unauthentic frozen food heated up style meals. Rude staff not a welcome Paceno feeling and not what I expected and I have tried many times when friends wanted to go.

In tears of guides, as customer of tail hunter you are calling or mailing someone with no actual connection to the boat, captain or locations, they are simply upcharging and increasing the cost by quite a lot which means less money for the actual provider and confusion for the customer.

It's not the end of the world, there are many low quality service providers who are disconnect form the actual service and quality, who are hurting tourism in the region. The problem is that it increases prices and creates confusion and lowers the overall quality of experience.

I think every captain wants to provide great service and does their best, Problem comes from upcharging from remote people.

I wonder what is the value add of inserting Tiallhunter into the process, why do people like it, why do they use it, what expertise do they provide, do they know what is happening on the water?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 03:20 PM

Lets figure out what's going on here?

We are a group of more than 200 pangueros who work in the region.

Since the first day Tailhunter arrived no one has ever seen or met a person named Jonathan Roldan?

Has anyone here seen a person identified as Jonathan Roldan at any launch or part of any fishing panga ever in the region?

We have many activities to complete our work, permitting, outfitting, gas, drinks and food, filleting, servicing motors and trailers.

has anyone ever met Jonathan Roldan in the service or maintenance of any Panga?

Does anyone have a specific positive experience with details to share about a positive interaction with Jonathan Roldan in relation to details and actions that supported a specific trip that you can share?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 03:35 PM

As a community we work together to provide for our families, it seems like Jonathan Roldan is upcharging tourists, while providing very little value, which is problematic, customers think Jonathan Roldan provides knowledge and support but he doesn't, captains and support are doing all the hard work and earning even less because Jonathan Roldan is inserting himself and taking a huge commission for tourists but contributing nothing in return.

The best thing is to connect and interact directly with panga and yacht captains or least family coordinators.

Do not connect with imaginary remote experts who double prices but contribute so little while robbing families of their hard work. Yes we are angry and unhappy with Jonathan Roldan.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2022 at 04:05 PM

Recently we have had access issues for launching in Manglito and also pollution issues in Balandra, in neither case was Tail Hunter vocal or supportive of Pangueros from which they profit, though they should have been. This is not the only occasion, Tailhunter is profiting but doing none of the support and service work while doubling prices for everyone.

https://www.diarioelindependiente.mx/2022/08/con-lanchas-y-r...

https://www.elorganismo.com/balandra-cronologia-de-una-trage...

https://fb.watch/fIESd_KYOD/

https://www.borderhub.org/noticias-especiales/bajo-el-mar-ad...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.