Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: All banks in Mexico
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 01:46 AM

No worries trailrider. We all make writing errors... once in a while.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 09:08 AM

Back to banking.

There is a new rule in Mexico that deposits over 15,000 pesos must be reported to SAT by the banks. These are cash or check deposits. Electronic transfers are not included. Perhaps the new rule is the cause of the issues people are reporting. Banks need the required info from their customers to comply with the rule.

https://businessinsider.mx/dinero-efectivo-depositar-sat_est...

[Edited on 10-6-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 09:15 AM

It isn't exactly "new". It has been in effect for at least since Jan. 2022.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 11:45 AM

That is correct my well over 15,000 pesos deposit was transfer from American bank. Yes again that is why blocked my account. It is not because I do not have a Mexican tax number. So now Santander bank Should of warned all Clients of this. Second by making me go there now 3 times taking my time. Due to them not the first time asking me for CFE bill passport ss card and all income tax papers . Now forcing to call them 20 times a day do not answer phone . When they do say call back in a hour. Yesterday I did get to bank manager on my case . He quickly said I THINK ITS UNBLOCKED. The BS Im sure will be over soon . Before I sue them only good thing. I no longer wait in 2 hour or more to talk to Manager . I go directly in his office as Im sure he wants me out of there. Will update
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 11:52 AM

"Sue" a Mexican bank? That's hilarious. Banks are private institutions. They can close or deny an account to anyone they choose.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 12:01 PM

Bajatrailrider: I know how frustrating this is as we just went through it as well just to be able to pay bills for our internet. 2 weeks and 3 in person trips to La Paz, we (I think) have enough money in our account to pay for the builder's extra expenses and furniture we ordered.
So far they have actually let us transfer some of the money out to pay three partial bills but who knows? Will they continue letting us pay bills with the money we deposited? Time will tell.

This is what the bank required to open an account:
Passport, picture ID, SIN from Canada, picture of a local relatives house with address showing, CFE bill from local relative, and fingerprints of all ten digits. I really screwed it up when their cheap scanner would not read all 10 of my fingerprints, so the clerk had to get a special approval from a manager to accept my application with the 6 it could read. Approval from the bank to accept my money for deposit took 2 weeks and a further trip in to actually deposit money just before we had to fly home.

First withdrawal: Passport, picture ID, and trying to find which finger their fingerprint scanner could recognize....Wheew!

[Edited on 10-6-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 12:21 PM

I think I was in the wrong profession as I don't seem to have readable fingerprints...same problem at the INM office with their scanner.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I think I was in the wrong profession as I don't seem to have readable fingerprints...same problem at the INM office with their scanner.

Just show them your middle finger and say "Read this!" :mad:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 02:00 PM

One final suggestion with touchy fingerprint readers...try wiping your hand across your forehead and getting some oil on the fingers before using the scanner. It seems all this hand washing with alcohol is making our fingerprints harder to read. Worked for me.

Now...back to you on the original topic of banks in Mexico, Bajatrailrider

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

So in general, if the majority of one's Telcel [Sin Frontera] calls originated from Mexico are to the U.S. or Canada, there might be a problem.

Or if your calls to US/CA exceed 100 minutes.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"Sue" a Mexican bank? That's hilarious. Banks are private institutions. They can close or deny an account to anyone they choose.
Again we are not on same page. The bank cannot keep your money they can hold it . Till correct paper work yes you did not see what I wrote. One American and one Mexican that lives here. Did in fact sue the bank in both cases . The bank lawyer made a quick settlement with there lawyer . Out of court they got all there money . Plus bank paid legal fees whats not true? On another note not knowing if my card still blocked. I went to the market asked check my card . If good for 8000 peso cash advance card still blocked. I then asked see if its good for 1000 pesos not blocked for that. So the big deposit is blocked the old money not blocked .
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 09:08 AM

Bajatrailrider: My accounts only allow limited funds each day to be withdrawn from ATM on my card as well, a slightly higher amount for purchases on the card. So far, they have not blocked large transfers using SPEI for goods or services. Maybe some patience on your part and this will be resolved to your satisfaction?
If they put holds on your account without informing you, of course they are in the wrong. If however, the government is behind the holds there is not much you can do. This happened to us in Canada as well, when the government suddenly put holds on thousands of accounts for political reasons and people could do nothing about it.
Maybe you can meet your immediate needs by withdrawing 1000 pesos each day and keeping the cash someplace safe until this is finally corrected? I know that's not a lot of money, but it should allow you to eat and buy some gasoline each day.

[Edited on 10-7-2022 by JDCanuck]

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Again we are not on same page. The bank cannot keep your money they can hold it . Till correct paper work yes you did not see what I wrote. One American and one Mexican that lives here. Did in fact sue the bank in both cases . The bank lawyer made a quick settlement with there lawyer . Out of court they got all there money . Plus bank paid legal fees whats not true? On another note not knowing if my card still blocked. I went to the market asked check my card . If good for 8000 peso cash advance card still blocked. I then asked see if its good for 1000 pesos not blocked for that. So the big deposit is blocked the old money not blocked .

Yes, I saw what you wrote. And you are correct, they can't keep your money.
I understand how frustrating this is for you, but I have the impression you have lived in Mexico for quite some time, so I would think you would realize that things here often take awhile to resolve, informing customers of pending actions before they are taken seldom happens, people are given incomplete lists of paperwork that needs to be presented, and phone calls and emails are not returned.

This is the lay of the land. As JCanuck mentioned, patience is needed, no point raising your blood pressure. And yes, presenting yourself in person and making a pest of yourself is usually the most effective method of moving things along.

This past week, I stood in line-ups for 4 hours just to renew my driver's license (the actual paperwork and payment took all of 10 minutes) and waited in the SAT office for 3 hours past the appt. time I had been given, along with 60 other people, for a process that took all of 5 minutes. Their systems are ridiculous and unfathomable, but we can't change them.

Getting worked up about these things accomplishes nothing- patience and persistence is required.

[Edited on 10-7-2022 by surabi]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 11:47 AM

No worries I always have cash as never without. I do know how Mex works there is only. So much more time I allow them to hold money. Then let the lawyer handle it like the others did. After 10 years with this bank. Once they shut down office in shopping center then central office. Only one left service bad yes Mexico they dont know what there doing . Of course pull all money out never again . The hours these people have taken my time . Yes could of drove to border got cash.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The hours these people have taken my time .

Other people's wasted time is pretty obviously not something acknowledged or of concern to bureaucrats here, nor in many other places in the world.

They seem to think you have nothing better to do than wait for hours, or tell you to come back tomorrow, as if your days have nothing else scheduled, no responsibilities to attend to, and regardless as to whether it took you an hour and a half to get there and a hour and a half to get home.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2022 at 01:39 PM

Yes Ture As far as JD saying he can only take out so much per day . ATM or bank I was always able . To take 100,000 pesos or more out of bank.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-9-2022 at 11:30 AM

My sincerest apologies, JD! I just saw your post today 10/09/22. The only electronic bill-paying I do in Mexico is TELNOR. They use my CITI ATM to autopay my bill every month (about $25.00 USD). CFE ATMs have taken my card, but for the past year I prepaid $500 Pesos to cover any overages used. However, I don't have a CFE bill anymore because I am on solar in Ensenada. All my money withdrawals come from Mexican ATMs. CITI does not charge me any fees.

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I was done 12 years ago! They were always questioning my deposits and withdrawals.

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
"So Im done with banks here."

yep!:D

Hi Udo: Have you found an alternative to using Mexico domiciled banks to do your electronic bill paying? Seems to be the only route for us to pay Hughesnet bills electronically from up here in Canada using SPEI transfers through an Intercam account. I think the issue lies with their new payment provider not recognizing 6 digit alphanumeric Canadian postal codes. Municipal taxes this past year also had to be paid in cash pesos at an OXXO, last year they had accepted our Visa card.
With the newer tax avoidance oversite our relatives became concerned about my additional cash flowing through their accounts when they went to pay my bills at an OXXO after withdrawing it.

[Edited on 10-1-2022 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 10-1-2022 by JDCanuck]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2022 at 12:02 PM

We go to the appropriate office and pay in advance with cash before we leave to keep utilities going while we're gone. It has never caused problems. No credit cards and paper receipts if there is ever a dispute.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2022 at 05:57 PM

The nightmare with Mexican bank is over. When Santander held my over 100,000 pesos . It went in some kind of holding account . On Oct 6 Chase some how reversed the money back to my USA account .So great news for me I dont need return to close account. If any of you can avoid any Mexican bank . Do so as this was a good bank now like the rest all bad.
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 11-17-2022 at 07:41 AM
Success

Thanks to this forum I went to La Paz with a folder of paperwork. My account at Santander was blocked for new deposits but was still paying bills. On arrival I tried a cash deposit and it was blocked as expected, and the teller said to see an executive. I was directed to the bank director, and she said we needed passports and social security numbers. We provided both and then had to sign an IRS W-9. She said we would get an email from Santander in a day or two verifying the account was open. Of course, that didn't happen (just like they didn't tell us the account was blocked), so after 5 days we went in and made a cash deposit and it was accepted!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.