Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Is Baja Nomad Dying?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

You are absolutely right, Ron, and I apologize for that remark. It does insinuate something and it was wrong to make any connection. I really don't know why I wrote that. It was a cheap shot. Anyway, I don't think anyone really regretted helping out financially and would even do so today. An interesting question: would such a callout provide the same help today on TalkBaja?

Regarding the gutting of Nomads. I never stated that that was the intention. I didn't even imply that it was the creation of a new venue rather than the advantages of a more powerful technology that was responsible. But the fact remains that there were 30,000 registered users in the first year at Talk Baja and there aren't enough comments on Nomads each day to fill half a page. So one went up and the other went down. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I don't think so. I don't even think it's the level moderation so much. It's technology. For example: I am writing you this response and I have no idea if you'll read it. However, had this been written on Talk Baja you would receive a notification as soon as I finished my post. It's stuff like that that gutted Nomads.

Nomads has died of a thousand blows, some of which could have been avoided but most could not. I don't begrudge the success of Talk Baja. At least they don't allow 2 or 3 people to dominate a website with mind numbing repetition.

I appreciate and accept the apology Igor and I probably got overly sensitive on the "gutting" comment based on what I believed to be your insuation in the other paragraph. So I apologize to you for that amigo.

Would such an event get such a response on Talk Baja today?

Good question, as it's never really been put to the test in that specific type of scenario to date but based on posts where members have posted differrent types of emergency needs down here, the response is generally quite swift and very good.

One recent post of a mom looking for her 18 -20 year old son in Tijuana was shared over 7000 times in 24 hours and that initial post generated several million views in less than 3 days, so yes - I do think the response would be good, just differrent.

Instead of a significant % of the contributors making 100, 500 and even 1,000 dollar contributions by the several dozen who did here on Nomad, you would likely see perhaps 5, 6 or 700 members - maybe a thousand or more depending on the situation making between 10, 20, and 50 dollar contributions with several members making 100 dollar or more contributions. The tight, small community feeling is not there like here on Nomad but the willingness to step up and help when needed is indeed felt and practiced by a majority of our members.

I feel quite confident in saying that.

There is a lot of help generated on Talk Baja to specific needs posted that isn't broadcast in public group posts like here on Nomad when they happen. I am involved often in coordinating efforts offline between some of our members who want to help with a particular needy case and they often request it be done privately - not publicy.

Being on social media - I get that they don't want that news to go viral.

There is a lot I don't like about Facebook but it definitely has its positive side too, just as Nomad has and I hope continues to be able to offer.

Peace amigo...

[Edited on 11-8-2022 by BajaGringo]

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Since Nomad is not a full-time job for Doug and he will not ask for moderating assistance (which has been a disaster on Talk Baja for anyone that questions problems there... see the ever-growing 'Banned from Talk Baja' Facebook group), we will just have to try and hang on, self-moderate, play nice.

That “disaster” has gained more new members in the last four months than this forum has managed to accumulate in over 20 years online. When I shared with you in a private conversation my frustrations with Facebook, I wasn’t alluding to or insinuating I was giving up on it, I was only explaining my reasoning to pursue building another platform for users who were looking for something outside of Facebook.

The fact that there is a Facebook group that was created by "Banned Talk Baja Members" only demonstrates that we do have active moderation and when you combine that fact with forum activity data indicating that over half of our 86 thousand plus members are active in the group in any given week in time, is abundant proof that the vast majority of our membership disagrees with your constant complaints about our group.

In spite of repeated chances I gave you, you simply wanted to ignore the rules and treat it like it was your own sandbox, throwing a tantrum when other members didn't share your point of view. It was only finally after countless member complaints that I pulled the plug. And it wasn’t just "you asking questions on how things worked.”

You have very selective memory.

When I gave you another chance on talkbaja.com earlier this year, you self-imploded even faster the second time around and self evicted yourself when the going got rough after what – 3 days?.

I gave up trying to help you. I simply don’t have the time, patience or energy.

[Edited on 11-7-2022 by BajaGringo]

Talk Baja is nice. Keep up the good work Ron.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 06:21 PM

But the fact remains that there were 30,000 registered users in the first year at Talk Baja and there aren't enough comments on Nomads each day to fill half a page.

Just to set the record straight...

Talk Baja on Facebook only had a little over 8,000 members at the end of our first year and it would take 2½ years to reach 30,000. Our growth planed out just slightly after that but remained steady for a few years until it began climbing quickly again in 2019. Then the pandemic hit and like everything else travel related - it slowed down to only 4 or 500 new members each month for a couple of years. Now in 2022, it began accelerating earlier this year.

We may reach 90,000 members before the end of 2022 with any luck and we should easily surpass 100K in 2023, barring another pandemic or Mexican Revolution.

It's indeed a challenge to maintain the community feel with such a large group but I have been developing tools to help me do just that which I began rolling out earlier this year. And they seem to be working in keeping the group engaged, mostly civil and inviting their friends and families to join.

It's a constant process of learning and adapting.

[Edited on 11-8-2022 by BajaGringo]

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

Facebook killed this site. When Ron Gomez created Talk Baja he pretty much gutted Nomads. But I recall a time when Ron was hospitalized and Nomads donated thousands of dollars for his hospital bills.

And Igor, for you to imply that Cristina and I aren’t eternally grateful to the members of this community who stepped up when we were hospitalized, you are gravely mistaken and I deeply resent the insinuation.

Our attackers not only left us for dead but robbed us of our personal effects which included my wallet, her purse, all of our IDs and bank cards. We had ZERO access to our accounts and I was in a coma. Once I was released from the hospital, it took several days for me to be able to walk assisted into a bank and begin the process to reestablish access to our accounts. When I did, I publicly and sincerely thanked EVERYONE here on Nomad who had helped and at the same time offered to reimburse anybody who had contributed to our hospital care.

A few did write me and I gladly paid them back, thanking them again for stepping up and helping out. To imply that I don’t appreciate this community and especially Doug and all his investment of time and expense over the years is a total and complete misrepresentation of reality.

[Edited on 11-7-2022 by BajaGringo]

Nomads has died of a thousand blows, some of which could have been avoided but most could not. I don't begrudge the success of Talk Baja. At least they don't allow 2 or 3 people to dominate a website with mind numbing repetition.

or just one.......the best part of TB is who ISN'T there ;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.