Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: metal detectors
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 11-17-2022 at 01:21 PM
metal detectors

I'm a PR and wondering about the rules of using hand held metal detectors in Baja?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2022 at 02:47 PM

Great way to prospect. Are you going to use one where others will be watching you?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 07:46 AM

This is another way to find and see interesting things. Just enjoy trolling the beaches and arroyos of Los Barriles. Rumors I hear are that there is a barrel of gold somewhere.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 08:13 AM

Best of luck on that!
:bounce::light::biggrin:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigOly  
I'm a PR and wondering about the rules of using hand held metal detectors in Baja?

Seen people doing it. Did not see them get arrested.
Probably not allowed at archaeo sites and parks/biospheres.

I have seen that there are metal detecting groups on FB and internet forums — you might ask your Q there.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 09:18 AM

I heard a rumor years ago about some Spanish arms buried in the cliffs near Laguna Salada. I once found a 1934 5 peso coin in the arroyo near San Fernando mission. I've wanted to get a metal detector. Oly, what would you recommend for a starter-novice-hobby?
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 09:36 AM

When you say a "hand held" detector, to me that means the wands they use at security screening. If you mean the regular kind, with a control box and a search coil, I have seen Mexican people using them on the beach, as have I. Have also met prospectors using them in Baja. I think they even sell them at Wal Mart so they must be legal.

However, disturbing wildlife habitats or plant roots in protected areas or removing Indian artifacts is prohibited. I must say that people who like to drive on the beach do more damage than a metal detector will ever do. Nonetheless always fill in your holes. Its ugly to ruin a smooth beach with a bunch of holes.

I used to go to San Felipe after spring break and search at low tide where they ride the bananas. Found some nice gold jewelry. Once in Puerto Vallarta some big waves came smashing up against the sea wall in front of an all-inclusive resort where the people that sell silver jewelry had set up their booths. Afterwards the beach was littered with silver rings, and I found a gold ring with 7 diamonds in it. Yes, I bring a metal detector with me on vacation. Total nerd!

That was back when gold was $350 an ounce. People would buy gold jewelry for their kids and wear it on the beach. These days gold is so expensive that people do not lose it as much, very slim pickings. Also, the technology has improved so much that the beaches are picked clean. Have not found any gold on the beach for years.

You wanna search for treasure, search for the wreck of the Santa Ana, captured by Cavendish off Cabo San Lucas. It contained too much treasure for Cavendish's two small ships to carry, so it was "cherry picked" and sunk with the rest of the treasure still aboard. One of Cavendish's ships, loaded to the gunnels, also sank, somewhere between the tip of Baja and England, but that is a lot of ocean to cover.

edit: Hi Wilderone - Minelab makes the best metal detectors, an entry level multi frequency model such as the "Vanquish" will set you back about $350 US and is light years ahead of the technology that was available 20 years ago.

second edit: for a beginner, the Minelab can be confusing. For a very basic detector to find coins and rings that is easy to use the Garret Ace is good, and only $150 US for the basic model

[Edited on 11-18-2022 by bajaric]

[Edited on 11-18-2022 by bajaric]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 04:12 PM

Hey Ric - thanks for recommendation. I would probably have better luck with something I can figure out and use proficiently - so the Garret Ace would probably fit the bill.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 04:54 PM

I'll bet those kindly 'ol padres burried gold stolen from the heathens in the mission sites.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 09:28 PM
Baja treasure is found ONLY in Books...

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2022 at 08:22 AM

"only in books" - oh David - ever the skeptic. Remember the tale of Erle S Gardner where he tells of the desert prospector who wanted funds to unearth gold in the cave? Erle declined, and years later, he received a photo of the treasure.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2022 at 10:24 AM

You never know what you may find.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0jGgASvO?pd=037FyHaR&lang...
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2022 at 11:26 AM

Any recommendation on metal detectors brand or models? There are many on amazon, some are rechargeable, others require many batteries. I assume more (battery) power the better, larger footprint?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2022 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"only in books" - oh David - ever the skeptic. Remember the tale of Erle S Gardner where he tells of the desert prospector who wanted funds to unearth gold in the cave? Erle declined, and years later, he received a photo of the treasure.

I just didn't want any more digging up mission ruins or unreal expectations. The man with the hidden mine was Jesus Flores. I hired him in 2001 to guide our group to the Lost Mission Santa María Magdalena walls. He led us to the Tinaja de Santa María, made famous by Arthur North in his 1910 book: Camp and Camino in Lower California.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.