Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cabo plus?
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2022 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by travelfar  
I won't be camping in Baja this year but I have an idea. Flights to Cabo are reasonable and so are rental cars. I am thinking about flying to Cabo and driving a few hours to a town with a nice beach, good food cheap and a more authentic Mexican feel. I thought I might drive to La Paz for 2 or 3 days and then the rest of the week back in Cabo del San Jose which sounds like fun.
Comments or suggestions?

Sounds like a good plan , lots of beach options all the way to Todos via highway 19 and a good range of accommodation options. My wife and I are staying in Todos at the moment and even thought the town is busy the beaches north and south have been fairly empty . If you like live music there is usually something most nights of the week in restaurants around town.
Cerritos is a good beach if you want a beach with lots of vendors renting chairs,umbrellas, surfboards etc and food and drink options
La Paz is a good city with lots of food and entertainment options and beaches north and east of the city.
I would plan to do the loop and come back to San Jose via highway 1 .El Triunfo is an interesting town to have a walk around and the drive down through San Antonio, San Bartolo and out to the Sea of Cortez at Los Barriles is very beautiful. We drove from San Jose to Todos that way last week and it’s very lush and green right now. Lots of hiking options on both sides of the Sierra de la Laguna and the various waterfalls will be flowing well right now.
Not too hard to find authentic Mexican throughout that loop if you look for it but obviously Baja is very influenced by it’s neighbour to the north. Pretty nice that you can fly in , grab a car and explore the area so easily .
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2022 at 11:36 PM

El Cardonal, Boca Del Alamo, Punta Arena, Tecolote, El Conejo, etc...
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 10:58 AM

“Authentic Mexican”!

As a European Country Mexico is about twice as old as the US. Mexico also has a far longer history as a non-European country. Mexico is one of the first places where the far east met the west as a result of the overland connection to Veracruz used by the Spanish.

The result is a hybrid of people, foods and lifestyles. Rice, served in most Mexican meals comes from the far east. Corn traveled around the world after being a staple in Mexico for thousands of years. Wheat Flour came with the Spanish and stayed as tortillas.

Even now it’s not at all uncommon to see “Oriental featured” Mexicans and others who probably resemble the people who first greeted the Spanish.

Most visitors to BSC probably think the marina area in Cabo is “Authentic Mexican”!

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

Also make sure your phone works on maps so it can guide you around town.
Lots of food drink and music on the melcon.

A phone or GPS is great for telling you what street you are on, but don't trust them to know which streets are "one way"!

YUP Right ON!!!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 06:29 PM

If you are near Todos Santos just north of town on each side of the highway is a restaurant opposite each other run by the same family. Lots of cars are always there and the food is good!
You can.t miss them Just drive north of town a little way.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
travelfar

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 01:08 PM

I used the term "more authentic Mexican" as comparative. I imagine Cabos as being quite similar to the US. I suspect places like La Paz or Todos Santos are less so, more similar to non-tourist oriented towns and cities across Mexico would be. I am sure American influence is significant but less than in Cabos or Cancun, for example.
At least, that's what I was asking.

Thanks for all who answered.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
If you are near Todos Santos just north of town on each side of the highway is a restaurant opposite each other run by the same family. Lots of cars are always there and the food is good!
You can.t miss them Just drive north of town a little way.

La garita is the name... About 12 miles north of TS.
Good recommendation
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by travelfar  
I used the term "more authentic Mexican" as comparative. I imagine Cabos as being quite similar to the US. I suspect places like La Paz or Todos Santos are less so, more similar to non-tourist oriented towns and cities across Mexico would be. I am sure American influence is significant but less than in Cabos or Cancun, for example.
At least, that's what I was asking.

Thanks for all who answered.

I think your suspicions are quite correct, and the travel between them will provide lots of opportunities to check out interesting stops along the way as well. Have a great trip! We enjoyed the hstory behind El Triunfo, if you are lucky you might catch the museum open, we unfortunately missed it.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.