Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Heading to Baja in February
4X4Gus

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 01:45 PM
Heading to Baja in February

We are planning a trip to Baja in February. We plan to cross at Mexicali and make our way South of San Felipe the first day.

As many of you appear to be very experienced at traveling Baja, I hope you can answer a few questions.

1. Is Diesel readily available?
2. When people fuel their boats in Baja, they use a filter when filling. Is this necessary for a vehicle?
3. Which Mexican Insurance Company do you recommend?
4. How readily available is fresh water for filling our tanks?
5. We have basically no Spanish Language skills. Is this going to be a major problem? (I guess we could just speak English very loud and enunciate our words....)
6. When stopping at a checkpoint, will the Police ask us to open our safe?

Thank you all in advance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 02:49 PM

1 & 2) I am not a diesel driver or a boat owner, so the first two questions are best answered by those who are. I do know between San Felipe and Guerrero Negro, diesel and even gasoline is not guaranteed but rarely a problem.

3) Baja Bound.com
4) Population centers have potable water sources.
5) Speaking loud and slow does not make a non-English speaker understand and is just silly. I bet you are joking 😂
6) You have a safe when you travel? Don't bring guns or ammo across the border (or 'medical' marijuana either)

Any trip planning info you can find at www.VivaBaja.com for free! Maps, photos, history, road logs, kilometer points, links to other Baja sites, all are there!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 06:07 PM

5. Get yourself a Sp/Eng dictionary, and refer to it when needed. Learn
to say the respectful pleasantries in this culture, ie; buenos dias,
tardes, noches, por favor, con permiso, mucho gusto, buen provecho, etc...very simple and goes a long way.
This shows respect and opens doors.
Although english is studied in school more often, most older folks are not bi-lingual. it is very rude and arrogant to rely on your native language to communicate whatever other country you are in. Not only will you miss out on what is going on, you won't make many friends.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 06:09 PM

4X4Gus,

If it’s small put it in a laundry bag under the dirty laundry. If not put the trash and laundry on top of it. Be sure and cover any tats if possible.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 06:48 PM

L,

The cover comment is based on seeing a common thread among Norties stopped and searched at the Baja checkpoints.
4X4Gus

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your info.

Yes, we have a safe in our Van. We use it to store our Passports and Currency. That is why I would be concerned with opening it and stepping out of the van where it would not be in sight.

As for talking loud and slow, yes David, I was joking. So many Americans think that if you talk loud and slow, everyone will understand what you are saying.

The Tats issue is interesting. While my wife and I are both in our early 60's, we both have tats. Some visible, some not.

We never carry firearms in our Van. We do however carry an Air Pistol that fires Cayan Pepper Balls. It will not kill someone but, it does stop them. When traveling through Canada, we left it home and carried Bear Spray which is legal in Canada.

Any other info anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated. This will be our first trip driving in Mexico.

Thanks again!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 09:37 PM

4X4,

We’ve carried the very large size bear spray in the drivers door pocket for years. It’s in plain sight and never had it questioned. I actually had one checkpoint take my heavy metal D cell flashlight out of the door next to the bear spray, check it to see if it worked and then check the batteries! That said your results may vary!

Generally they (checkpoints) will ask where you came from and where your going and if it’s a vacation. Keeping passports , visas and registrations on the visor is never a bad idea. Keeping a thousand pesos in small used bills in your passport won’t hurt either. Not speaking Spanish to the police if stopped is probably also a good idea. If they want to talk not collect graft they have cellphones that translate.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2022 at 11:33 PM

Not sure if you know the border ritual, but it is easy. I will detail it but in the time it takes me to type all this, you will be done with this formality in real time, lol!

Do not get your tourist permit (FMM) online before your trip or even a pre-paid one in advance from a club or mystery website. Because you still have to park and go inside to validate it, and sometimes they don't accept the prepaid ones, so you pay twice!

When you near the Mexican border, and if you are using the downtown Calexico/Mexicali West (or #1) border, be in the left lane and try and park in a space BEFORE the elecric gates/ red-green lights. It is in the first building, inside of Mexico. [Mexicali East, same thing, but the first building is on the right and I think you can only park after the building, in the inspection area.]

If you can't manage to park before the building, then park at the first chance after the electric gates, on the left... even along the right side of the street, if no parking, and walk across and into that building.

At the electric gate: If you get a red light, then you will be pointed to pull into a space for inspection... then (if you don't already have it) walk into the buiding for the FMMs (say you are going to La Migra, immigration, if anyone asks).

Inside the building, seek out the INM (immigration) desk, with your passports in hand. Reading glasses if you need them as the text is tiny on the forms you fill out. You can put down 'Los Cabos' as a destination, as that covers all of Baja... and put down or request 180 days (the max.) as the cost is the same for any days over 7 (up to 7 is free). You can use a debit card or cash.

ATMs will despense pesos if needed for your trip or get pesos at an exchange business in Calexico on many street corners. FMMs are about $33 US or six hundred-some pesos. If instructed, you may be asked to walk to the bank teller, inside that same building, to pay... Return the forms to the INM desk for a final stamp, and that is it. 10 minutes should do it.

Keep the FMM and passports safe. The only time you will be asked for the FMM is a rare immigration checkpoint set up sometimes at the military checkpoints. The military or police do not ask to see FMMs or passports unless it is needed to spell your name if you get a citation.

Military checkpoints: They are set up in a few places on the peninsula, usually they wave you through, going southbound, but still may inspect. Usually, they inspect northbound, perhaps just will ask you (in Spanish) where you are coming from and where you are going (keep it simple). Don't be affraid to say "no intiendo" (I don't understand).

IF they ask you to get out for an inspection, you can keep your wallet, cell phone, camera, GPS, valuables on you or in your wife's purse. You can stay close to your vehicle and watch them inspect. They may look in the glove box, ice chests, under the seats, etc. They are looking for guns, amo, and illegal drugs. That's all.

Welcome to Latin America, and yes those are machine guns!

[Edited on 11-25-2022 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Be sure and cover any tats if possible.

Tha tatoo fad has spread over Mexico. These days tattoos are no different than wearing T-shirts advertising your favorite team.
every Tom, dick and harry has a tat, no reason to cover them up.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4X4Gus

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:31 AM

Thank you David K!

And yet, another question...

What about Vehicle Insurance? Okay to buy ahead of time or, wait until we reach the border?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4X4Gus  
Thank you David K!

What about Vehicle Insurance? Okay to buy ahead of time or, wait until we reach the border?

Buy insurance online. Bajabound. Yes, you can buy ahead of time, you choose start/end dates when you purchase policy.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:39 AM

You can buy it online in advance, one less stop to make before crossing into Mexico, since you'll have to stop for your FMM once across.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 10:19 AM

Thank you David K!

Sorry I didn't provide the link (see banner ad at the top of the Nomad pages): www.bajabound.com which you buy and print at home for the days you want or get a 6 mo. or 12 mo. policy at a significant savings if you will be in Mexico 3 or more weeks in a year.

Their website has a lot of good travel and border crossing info. as well. I write a near-monthly Baja Travel Adventure article for their free newsletter, too! https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

Newsletter sign up: https://www.bajabound.com/newsletter/

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 10:52 AM

3. Inexpensive Annual Drivers License Policy covers whatever you drive;

HDI Seguros, www.hdi.com.mx

Seguros El Potosi S.A. , wwwMexicoinsurance.com
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 07:42 AM

Diesel is readily available at most stations in Baja. Just remember they have black nozzles for diesel unlike the green ones in the US. Nothing between El Rosario/Gonzago Bay - Jesus Maria/ Guererro Negro so top your tank. Try to run off the top half of your tank. One still never know is the station you are planning for is out.

Have water separating filter for your boat and carry an extra

Fresh water for filling tanks. Bring a funnel! Agua Purificacion stores are available throughout the peninsula, and they fill 5 gal bottles for 10-30 pesos in the case of Alkalina water. I think the Cielo brand bottles would make filling a tank easier because they have built in handles. Additionally, every OXXO has water bottles you can pay to exchange.

In Memory of E-57
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 09:14 AM

Vacaciones is a key word. Google translate is good to have, download Spanish to your mobile device but you may need to put your phone on airplane mode for it to work well since cell service is spotty. Definitely learn some basic phrases - download the Duolingo app. I crossed south at Mexicali West late October and the bank didn't until8:00 am - I paid the immigration officer, I'm sure he kept it. Military check points seem to pass us 60+ through, but will check every square inch if you look like a younger surfer. I keep cash in 4 separate spots that are unlikely to to be checked and I keep all important documents, electronics and daily cash in a backpack that I bring with me when I need to exit vehicle to unlock truck shell for inspection. You may want to buy a few goodies to keep in view, they may ask for a "regalo" or gift. Last trip I gifted a pair of safety glasses.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2022 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Vacaciones is a key word. I crossed south at Mexicali West late October and the bank didn't until8:00 am - I paid the immigration officer, I'm sure he kept it. Military check points seem to pass us 60+.You may want to buy a few goodies to keep in view, they may ask for a "regalo" or gift. Last trip I gifted a pair of safety glasses.

I like those observations. Read of a guy applying for that
regularzation Mex Immigration program. Had the required 180 expired fmm, but was not in the computer system as have been
issued one, he had paid the Imm officer officer directly. Tells
me he pocked the $32 dlls. The Gringo geezers get a pass,
Old Guys Rule

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 06:57 PM

Skip putting anything in the safe. As mentioned, carry cash and documents on your body or hide the cash well. If they get a flea in their bonnet, they can search vehicles completely.

Have fun!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 11:46 AM

All too true Blanca. Maybe it was because I was solo, but I was searched thoroughly last Spring. As I never carry anything that could be an issue, they were welcome to search all they wanted to as long as I could watch them closely, as I have done anyway forever.

Showing some appreciation for them keeping the roadway safe can go a long way, but is not always a guarantee on not being targeted for a search. I feel many or possibly some times, they are bored out of their minds. haha

If we can show some appreciation for them being there, it can be helpful. A little respect can go a long way for all concerned.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2022 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
All too true Blanca. Maybe it was because I was solo, but I was searched thoroughly last Spring. As I never carry anything that could be an issue, they were welcome to search all they wanted to as long as I could watch them closely, as I have done anyway forever.

Showing some appreciation for them keeping the roadway safe can go a long way, but is not always a guarantee on not being targeted for a search. I feel many or possibly some times, they are bored out of their minds. haha

If we can show some appreciation for them being there, it can be helpful. A little respect can go a long way for all concerned.

I used to be very friendly during stops but eventually I learned I got through much quicker if I wasn't. That's certainly not to say I'm rude in any way. I simple treat these as a business encounter and keep it very professional. Of course, I have the advantage of being old and I think they simply just view me as a crusty old man that they want to just push him on through so they can go to spend time with someone who is more fun to be around.:lol:

[Edited on 12-5-2022 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.