BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving from Phoenix to San Jose del Cabo
SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 11:51 AM
Driving from Phoenix to San Jose del Cabo

Good morning all. I'm new to the board, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.
We are driving from Phoenix to San Jose del Cabo in January, and have never done the trek before.
Can those with knowledge and experience please chime in on safe places to stay, as well as notable points of interest?
I'd like to make the trip in 2-3 days, so 2 overnights max....unless there are compelling stops to make that would extend the trip.
Gas stations are pretty important too. :)
Thanks in advance and I look forward to some great ideas!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 11:55 AM

How long do you have for your trip?

What type of vehicle?

The phase "The destination is the journey," applies more so to Baja than almost anywhere else in the entire world.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 12:38 PM

Hi JZ,
I have as long as is needed.
2003 Toyota Sequoia.
I am inspired by, and interested in the "Journey".
Thanks!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 01:15 PM

Spend an extra day in Guerrero Negro or San Ignacio and go whale watching. January is the start of prime season. We prefer GN vs San Ignacio. It is a short trip to the lagoon vs 90+ minutes to San Ig. lagoon.
SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 01:18 PM

Thanks RnR.
Suggestions on where to stay in GN?
Thanks!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 01:29 PM

Your timing might be just right for a new opportunity in Guerero Negro. Shari and her daughter are in the process of opening this; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=98288&got...

I have stayed at their other facilities in Bahia Asuncion with good vibes. They are not new to hosting, or guiding!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 01:51 PM

Just a simple suggestion, try the search feature at the top left of the main page, this question is asked quite frequently and there is a ton of info in past posts.
SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 02:05 PM

@AKgringo, thanks for the info, I've watched the video and have sent them an email.

@bajafreaks, thanks for the suggestion. Clearly, I'm a newbie.

Appreciate it all around.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 02:05 PM

Stop in Loreto for sure. Best mid size town in Baja. Right on the Sea of Cortez. You can have a panga take you out to the local islands. Isla Coronado is a 15 min ride. Beautiful beach. Costs about $100 for your own panga for 3-4 hours.

You can do a day trip from Loreto to the incredible Agua Verde Bay. Very easy drive in the dirt after you turn off the highway.

Just outside of town is the San Javier mission. Most beautiful mission in all of Baja.

Best hotels are La Mision (semi upscale) and Oasis (right on the ocean, but more basic).

Another day trip from Loreto is driving up to Ensenada San Basillo. About 20 miles North and then 10 miles down a very easy to drive dirt road. One of the most picturesque bays in the Sea of Cortez.

[Edited on 11-28-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 02:20 PM

Welcome to Nomad!
I am a little confused on your driving plans.

You said, "I'd like to make the trip in 2-3 days, so 2 overnights max....unless there are compelling stops to make that would extend the trip." Then told JZ you have "as long as needed"...

Not sure what is needed, but 2-3 days is the very shortest time just to drive at crazy speeds to SJDC. The days are short in Winter and you really should avoid night driving. The highway is narrow, on an elevated levee-style roadbed, for much of the distance, and range cattle like to lay on the warm asphalt after sundown. You should plan on 4-5 days to do the full 1,000 miles in the winter.

Too many points of interest to see to name here, but the whale watching was on e mentioned... the old Spanish missions, rock art sites, beautiful beaches, oasis villages, great food, are other reasons to stop and enjoy a location.

Why zip through the most interesting peninsula on earth just to get to some modern resort complex that is little different form others around the world?

I have a website designed to help one plan a Baja travel adventure with photos, maps, history, and travel details... please review and ask specific questions about any places that look interesting to you. www.vivabaja.com

Happy to help!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 11-30-2022 at 01:47 PM

Thank you all for the great input. I will continue my research and explore Baja Nomad some more. Excited for our trip for sure!
Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2022 at 06:59 AM

You'll need to stop at the border and visit the immigration office to present your passport and obtain your FMM visitor permit. Definitely see the mission at San Javier, and get out on the water either in Loreto or a whale trip on the Pacific side.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2022 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
You'll need to stop at the border and visit the immigration office to present your passport and obtain your FMM visitor permit. Definitely see the mission at San Javier, and get out on the water either in Loreto or a whale trip on the Pacific side.

Spot on!

Baja Caifornia is a 'land of missions' after all! As you drive south, three magnificient stone mission churches, built in the 1700s, are along Hwy. 1, within two miles of the highway on paved streets:

San Ignacio (on the cover of my book), take the street at the whalebones just after the gas station. The oasis you drive through shouldn't be missed, either.

Surrounded by lava flows and harsh desert is the oasis of San Ignacio.

(available at www.oldmissions.com)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mulegé, seen from the bridge over the river, take the paved street left after passing over the bridge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loreto, take the main street into town to the left. It is a block over to the left from the entrance street. This is the first California mission, founded in 1697. The church was damaged by storms and earthquakes in the 1800s but rebuilt in the 1950s with a new roof and fancy belltower thanks to the priest here who won the Mexican National Lottery!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

San Javier, is just over 20 miles up the mountain to the west, all paved. It is the second mission (1699) and relocated to this spot around 1710-20 with the magnificient stone church built in the 1740s-50s. Take a walk inside and then a short hike behind to see the little reservoirs and the oldest olive tree in California!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a quick tour of all 27 Baja missions (north to south): https://vivabaja.com/mission-site-photos/

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2022 at 05:35 PM

I have done the drive from San Jose Del Cabo to Tucson in 3 long days off the end of the NORRA 1000. I would recommend 4 days to lighten things up. U2U me if you want details from my experience. Otherwise, have fun!

[Edited on 12-2-2022 by basautter]
Dmhoro

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 09:51 AM

Just drove down to Cabo and flew home from SJD. Stopped at malarimo in gn and loreto bay hotel and Fairfield inn Los cabos.

No more FMM required to fly home.

I didn’t stop to buy one on the drive down.

My wife flew down to Cabo from USA and didn’t receive an FMM upon SJD arrival.

When we flew home together to USA from SJD they didn’t ask for an FMM. I asked the ticket counter person “no mas FMM?” and she said no.

Don’t try to pass someone who doesn’t see you on the drive down.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 10:47 AM

Good tip. Turn signals on our vehicles are used for much more in Baja than signaling a lane change.

Letting approaching trucks know with a drivers side blinker that they are seen and giving each as much room as possible on the narrow roadway is appreciated, unless I am mistaken.

I often get a response which is comforting to know that they see me coming and won't hog the road. I aim for the edge of road as much as possible when there is traffic coming my way. The trucks do too.

Other times a turn signal lets slower vehicles know you will be passing when it is safe to do so. Pretty obvious, since I religiously use my turn signals when too many others don't bother themselves to get off their phones enough to pay attention. In Baja, this distracted driving cell phone use is less of an issue thankfully. I hope this phone use will not become what it is here in the state's.

I cannot recall single time driving around here when I could not pick out a distracted driver. I will never become one of them, but I am old and a dinosaur in some ways.

Using your turn signals in Baja can be more useful than anything else to let other drivers know you see them and will give them as much space as possible. Small rant over.

Peace, love for Baja, and fish tacos.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2022 at 09:01 AM

Another tip. On weekends you may assume that a large number of folks on the road are impaired.... And you will be correct.
SJD_Bound

[*] posted on 12-5-2022 at 08:38 PM

Just want to say that you all are an amazing bunch and I really appreciate your willingness to contribute to the conversation. Groups like this restore a little faith in humanity.
Thank you and safe travels to all!

If anyone has further input, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Merry and Happy to all!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 02:58 AM

Great input from everyone and I agree on whale watching with Shari, visiting the San Ignacio Mission church and sitting for a minute in the park in front of it. That is small town life at its best! Loreto is a must stop, walk around the pedestrian area and eat at Mi Loreto!!

Always have some snacks and water with you in the car. There are loooooooooooong stretches of desert.

When you have been and come back, post a trip report PLEASE. Rarely do we get to hear first hand about the very first Baja experience.

No FMM? Flying is different than driving and for both, I believe it is now a stamp in your passport. Make sure you have at least 6 months til expiration date on passport. Have fun!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 08:30 AM

No, driving is still a paper FMM... The passport card (good for land crossings) cannot be stamped, either.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.