Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Malarrimo Road
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 02:51 PM
Malarrimo Road

Anyone have any info on condition of the San Jose De Castro/Malarrimo road post hurricane? A friend and I are thinking of trying it in March. I've wanted to go there for years and am running out of years to do so.
Thanks
Kurt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 10:54 AM

I hope you have a fun ride out there, Kurt!
Make sure to bring plenty of OJ... ;)

There are two and maybe more routes to the original Playa Malarrimo, made famous by Mike McMahan's books.

The original road is the one you mention, going north from (near) San José de Castro. I started to drive it during my research work in 2017. It quickly deteriorated with overgrown brush, as if nobody uses it anymore... But, you can see it on Google Earth just fine.

The original Malarrimo road where it leaves the highway, around Km. 117.

Just a mile from the highway.

The Bahía Tortugas road was not fully paved then, so I estimated the kilometer marker would be near Km. 117 at the road, just 1/2 km. (0.3 mi.) east of the dirt road south to San José de Castro and on to Bahía Asunción. It has been reported to be 26 miles from here to the famous beach.

The other route leaves the Tortugas highway at Km. 83 and follows the water pipeline going northwest as a more direct route to Playa Malarrimo, if coming from Vizcaino. This would be more dirt miles, and is really remote... so never travel alone on this one!

The Km. 83 pipeline service road going towards Playa Malarrimo.

A road from the fish camps (El Queen and Malarrimo) to the west follows the coast and comes close or maybe all the way, now.

Mike McMahan books, with a full chapter on Malarrimo Beach:

1973 & 1974 hardback editions

1983 paperback edition.

Be careful with a shovel on Malarrimo Beach!!! >>>

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 12:20 PM

No riding any more, I'm 78 now and I gave up riding last year except for an occasional short jaunt around my rural neighborhood. Had to recognize that my skills had eroded. No complaints, I rode motorcycles of all kinds for more than 60 years and many hundreds of thousand of miles. 40 plus years of exploring Baja on two wheels.

On this trip there will be at least two vehicles, perhaps more. Any info will be appreciated.

I also have McMahan's books,great family adventures back in the day.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 04:03 PM

I've been out there twice. The last time was 2015. Totally different drives getting out there. The first time a sand road up to the beach. The second time there was marsh near the beach. Lots of junk out there although we did find usable cameras a new scuba suit and millions of flip flops. Fun trip both times.

The turn off at San Jose de Castro is 27-33.310 x 114-27.800. There is the ruins of a house there or was.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've been out there twice. The last time was 2015. Totally different drives getting out there. The first time a sand road up to the beach. The second time there was marsh near the beach. Lots of junk out there although we did find usable cameras a new scuba suit and millions of flip flops. Fun trip both times.

The turn off at San Jose de Castro is 27-33.310 x 114-27.800. There is the ruins of a house there or was.

Thanks for the info, I seemed to remember that you had taken that road.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 10:31 PM

Please report back, this is on my list of places to visit.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 11:43 PM

Kurt keep us posted when you are are going myself and a friend or two may like to join you. It is a fun and interesting trip.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2022 at 11:28 AM

Here is the trip report I did from our Jan. 2015 Malarrimo run. We started to do the no wimp trail but the start section was wiped out from a hurricane.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77391
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2022 at 12:09 PM

been a loong time since last out there, we came in from Eugenia and followed the water pipe back to the highway. thing that struck us was how clean the water was and how willing halibut were to attack Krocs. all we ever found was plastic trash on the beach, fun trip!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-30-2022 at 01:55 PM

here is everything that is drivable with a decent 4x4 around Malarrimo
ground tested every bit myself

Malarrimo.jpg - 286kB

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2022 at 03:41 PM

Harald the yellow line at the top right I assume is the pipe line road. You show it broken. I thought it was a thru road from the hwy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2022 at 04:25 PM

Harald the yellow line at the top right I assume is the pipe line road. You show it broken. I thought it was a thru road from the hwy.

The pipeline road is the long, straight line diagonally crossing the map.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2022 at 12:47 PM

Kurt keep us posted when you are are going myself and a friend or two may like to join you. It is a fun and interesting trip.

We're thinking of March. In the next few days I will send a U2U with our tentative plans.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2022 at 07:40 PM

I think we are going to hit it on our motos at the end of February, if we make it, I'll post up.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2022 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The pipeline road is the long, straight line diagonally crossing the map.

OK
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2022 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

We're thinking of March. In the next few days I will send a U2U with our tentative plans.

Thanks
Trunkrack
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I think we are going to hit it on our motos at the end of February, if we make it, I'll post up.

Curious if you ended up making it out there? Really curious to hear how it is after this past fall and winter. It's also on my list of places to go and will try it this fall if there aren't any heavy rains before hand.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2023 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Thanks
Family and a couple of medical issues have delayed my plans. I still hope to get to Mulege in March and if my local friend can get away we will make a spur of the moment trip. If it happens I will try to give a few days notice in case you could join us.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.