Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Norte Surf Trip
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 12:33 PM
Baja Norte Surf Trip

Greetings,
My daughter and I had a wonderful surf trip to Cuatro Casas over Thanksgiving. We left Los Osos at 5 am on Saturday and we were surfing by 3 pm! Easy crossing at San Ysidro. Got passports stamped with no problems. Couldn't find the first section of the toll road (never saw signs?), so ended up going through TJ for a bit. No problems, but always concerned about policia when I have to drive in that town! Made it to Ensanada by noon and got all our favorite Mexican groceries at the Super Ley, pesos at the bank and beers at the liquor store. Moderately bumpy road getting our truck camper to Cuatro Casas, made more exciting by getting passed by a late Baja 1000 truck going 80!!! Apparently the road was pretty torn up by the race and the south route into Cuatro was the better route, which we took each time.
We set up our camp RIGHT in front of the break and posted up there for the entire week. It was a bit expensive for Baja camping, at $15/person per night ($30 for the two of us), but it was very safe and my daughter really liked the flush toilets and showers (notice how I did not say warm showers:). I just kept telling myself it was cheaper than camping in California! You can camp for $5/person outside the gate and have to use pit toilets. That's usually fine for us, but I wanted my daughter to really enjoy the trip (which she did).
The right hand break was good the whole week, with a solid S coming in the entire time we were there. It got a little big for my daughter Friday and Saturday, but she had a great time the rest of the week. She is just learning how to surf and improved substantially during the trip. The last day we went to Shripwrecks and caught some good waves there too.
The drive N was uneventful. It was really slow getting through Maneadero and Ensanada. A lot of road construction between the two towns (although it is hard to tell anymore one town from the next). Took the 3 over to Tecate (road was great) hoping for an easy cross, only to have to wait in line for 3+ hours. Apparently Ukranians are trying to cross there and are causing major delays? I didn't really understand, but that is what the border agent said.
We are already planning another surf trip over X-mas.
Thanks, as always, for all the help.
Best fishes,
Steve
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 12:52 PM

very nice! how old is daughter?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 01:10 PM

Thanks for the nice trip report!

Next time: The toll road branches off right after going through the border area. It is called The 'scenic road' as well as being signed for "Playas, Rosarito, and Ensenada" This is Mexico Hwy. 1-D.

The route first goes alongside the border fence, then climbs over a hill and drops steeply down to the highway. Stay in the right lane as you come down the hill, to get onto the Ensenada highway.
'Playas' is short for Playas de Tijuana. That suburb entrance branches off the toll road before the first toll boths. You want to be in the left lane at that fork.

You may already know all this, but I like to post for others reading this who may not know.

:light:

[Edited on 12-3-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 02:21 PM

Roger that! I do know that route, but somehow missed it. I haven't traveled through TJ since they finished the 5.
Over X-mas we'll be heading through Mexicali:)

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks for the nice trip report!

Next time: The toll road branches off right after going through the border area. It is called The 'scenic road' as well as being signed for "Playas, Rosarito, and Ensenada" This is Mexico Hwy. 1-D.

The route first goes alongside the border fence, then climbs over a hill and drops steeply down to the highway. Stay in the right lane as you come down the hill, to get onto the Ensenada highway.
'Playas' is short for Playas de Tijuana. That suburb entrance branches off the toll road before the first toll boths. You want to be in the left lane at that fork.

You may already know all this, but I like to post for others reading this who may not know.

:light:

[Edited on 12-3-2022 by David K]
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 02:23 PM

She's 15.5. She's been surfing for about a year now. The breaks around our house are all gnarly beach breaks, so getting a nice long break like Cuatro and shripwrecks was amazing for her.

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
very nice! how old is daughter?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2022 at 07:11 PM

Super stoked for your daughter to get some water time. You're a good Dad in my book! She'll remember that trip forever.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 11:02 AM

Good times. Making memories. :thumbup:

Nothing like every day in the water to help smooth out the learning curve. When nieces, nephews and friends attend Tio EGL surf camp I always insisted on minimum of 3-4 days in a row so they can get the muscle memory, paddle strength and confidence built up.
:dudette::saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 01:52 PM

Most important for future suggestions; is she a goofy or regular foot surfer?

San Miguel with a south swell & a Santana offshore wind is my classic northern Baja surf trip.

Tortas @ El Trailero and a siesta later was heavenly.

Es Todo Bueno
bryanmichaelmeyer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2022 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for the update Steve. We are here in Baywood and heading down south Jan 1 for a few weeks. If you are down there during that time let me know and we would love to meet up.

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2022 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

San Miguel with a south swell & a Santana offshore wind is my classic northern Baja surf trip.

Yea you and every other surfer south of Los Angeles! It is great though if you can survive the crowd
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2022 at 10:44 AM

Cuatro Casas was my first Baja experience in the summer of'73 thanks to some friends who led the way.

Gotta love the kelp.

Bathrooms and showers are worth the pesos considering how the idea of bringing everything you need was all we had at the time. Everything.

Pack Your Trash was a natural even before it became widely known and thankfully accepted, in most cases. Who would leave any signs of being there after we picked up stuff and left it as natural as it deserves.

I went back regularly for a few years in the mid 70's until the Mainland and East Cape got me.

I still have some super 8 short clips of us parking on the bluff with the waves peeling off down below.

This single adventure sparked decades of surf traveling and it will always hold a special place.

You have set a standard that will inspire your daughter and yourself for a lifetime of rewards to come.

Way to go Dad of the day, of the week, of the month, of the year, of shared lifetimes to come.

Most be the season for sentimentality. No apologies. haha

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.