BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja dark skies? The furthest you can get from a light bulb?
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 06:47 PM
Baja dark skies? The furthest you can get from a light bulb?

Towards the end of the month there will be many opportunities to take star photos. Where is the darkest places in Baja?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by verichip  
Towards the end of the month there will be many opportunities to take star photos. Where is the darkest places in Baja?

Lots of dark sky. The coastal area can be hazy. More reliable clear skies in the central area. Catavina. The SPM plateau. The Sierra San fransisco.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 08:27 PM

The air needs to be both dry and sill. The sky needs to be dark. Didn’t people do amateur astronomy at Mike’s Sky Ranch?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 08:34 PM

anywhere between El Rosario and Bahia de los Angeles is dark without much light pollution
the below image is not the greatest - but it gives you a good idea about light pollution in Baja

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 8.29.13 PM.png - 207kB

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2022 at 11:10 PM

The skies in our little village are amazing since we never have fog. My Mom says the first time she saw the La Bocana, BCS night sky, she felt as if she could touch the stars and actually stepped back.

Now that we are here in Alanya, turkiye, that is something I really miss. Cannnot see any stars.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 06:33 PM

and here we are on the earliest sunset of the year, two weeks before the solstice!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
and here we are on the earliest sunset of the year, two weeks before the solstice!

But look at the full moon we will have!

[Edited on 12-8-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 07:45 PM

Look at a moon rise chart for the end of the month. There will be many opportunities to photograph the stars .
"Moonrise, Moonset, and Moon Phase in Ensenada" https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/mexico/ensenada

[Edited on 12-8-2022 by verichip]
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 07:50 PM

https://news.yahoo.com/full-moon-eclipses-mars-tonight-18460...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2022 at 08:46 PM

Mars the God of war is approaching it's closet point to earth.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2022 at 08:06 AM

Cool map 4x4, thanks for posting it.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 12-8-2022 at 10:56 AM

The Vizcaino desert, as long as you’re away from ambient light sources, ie Bahía Tortugas - Bahía Asunción.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2022 at 11:49 AM

I was in the Sierra Juarez a while ago and was surprised that the stars there were not very bright at all. I guess there is some light pollution / haze there that drifts down from the Tijuana / Southern California megalopolis. Oddly, out at the end of the Punta Banda Penninsula the stars can be very bright, about the same distance south. Have also seen some amazing star brilliance about 30 miles south of Puertecitos on the Sea of Cortez.

[Edited on 12-8-2022 by bajaric]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-9-2022 at 10:27 PM

We have a place just 30KM north of Puertecitos. This time of year the air is dry and cool it makes for excellent viewing. 30 years ago it was much darker. Solar led lights and San Felipe’s growth have changed that.

That said, last night we saw the Space Station (US) pass overhead NNW to SE at 6:30 local and it was beautiful.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
The Vizcaino desert, as long as you’re away from ambient light sources, ie Bahía Tortugas - Bahía Asunción.

Last year I spent a night in the hills north of Vizcaino, and southeast of El Arco. The pea-soup fog that formed made it pretty tough to see anything more than a stone's throw from my camp!

The same thing happened a few years ago when I spent a night in the hills east of San Ignacio.

[Edited on 12-10-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 05:47 PM

Anybody know how to post this map up for all to see?
"Light Pollution Map - DarkSiteFinder.com" https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#8/29.748/-114.440

[Edited on 12-11-2022 by verichip]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 06:43 PM

"Light Pollution Map - DarkSiteFinder.com" https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#8/29.748/-114.440

[Edited on 12-11-2022 by verichip]

The link worked fine. No need for a pic.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 08:38 AM

Thank for sharing that map!
If you want to show what it looks like, so folks who don't click on unknown links can see, do a: Print Screen > Paint > Paste > Save > Crop and get this (hosted on Postimages.org because it was greater than the Nomad 342kb limit):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Thank for sharing that map!
If you want to show what it looks like, so folks who don't click on unknown links can see, do a: Print Screen > Paint > Paste > Save > Crop and get this (hosted on Postimages.org because it was greater than the Nomad 342kb limit):

thanks. Looks like Baja has the most dark skies. Anybody know if the lights from Sinaloa affect the skies near the Sea of Cortez
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 04:44 PM

We camp a bit south of San Felipe and the glow from Puerto Peñasco, across the gulf, is low on the horrizon. Does not deminish star and satellite viewing on moonless nights!
It is incredibly dark on those nights in the Baja desert and mountains.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.