BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buen, Bueno, Buena
bachrachj

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 06:44 AM
Buen, Bueno, Buena

Does anyone have a simple rule (Ha! It's Spanish!) to know when to use them? The masculine, feminin are pretty straight forward, pero por ejemplo "beun dia, buen provecho" son diferentes. Gracias.

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles in my life. Most of which never happened. - Mark Twain
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 07:51 AM

Spanish is widely considered to be an easy language to learn.
With the plethora of free language learning tool available on line, not learning it is a choice. I am mystified at the number of gringos who are content to stick with 25 poorly pronounced words . Just my 2 centavos.

[Edited on 12-10-2022 by pacificobob]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 09:13 AM

noun = person, place, thing

Good and easy explanation Lencho!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bachrachj  
Does anyone have a simple rule (Ha! It's Spanish!) to know when to use them? The masculine, feminin are pretty straight forward, pero por ejemplo "beun dia, buen provecho" son diferentes. Gracias.

Perhaps some confusion assuming dia ending in a is feminine. Of course it is masculine, thus buen dia.

Those tricky nouns which are the exception to the a ending is female o ending is male have thrown me for a loop many times. My Spanish speaking friends and family pounce on my screwing that up every time.

Lots of lists of these exception to this rule on the web.

Here is one such exception: el idiota: male idiot (but la idiota, female idiot)

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 10:36 AM

I would love to add to my Spanish conversational skills,, but my hard drive seems to be maxed out, and my random-access memory is becoming more random all the time!

Most of the people I speak with in Baja are too polite to correct my mangled dialog, so I just blunder onward. I really would like to be corrected, so I let that be known to folks I talk to on a semi-regular basis.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:13 AM

Even I am smart enough to know that he will get nothing out of that cord. He needs to turn it upside down and shake it! :light:

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:14 AM

English, one of the most difficult languages, is filled with inconsistencies and relies on memorization rather than rules. Even the few rules aren't always correct (is it always 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'?). The silent e and the various vowel sounds, must drive English learners crazy! We also have words that are pronounced differently based on how it is used, like read: "Did you read that?" vs. "Have you read that?"

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:52 AM

For word confusion, you can add two to the list too.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 03:12 PM

I believe french has 16 vowel sounds.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 03:29 PM
Algo mas?

That could mean....anything more (a question), something more (a statement), or a little bit more (a question or statement).

Corrections are encouraged. I already told you I am not very good at this.

[Edited on 12-10-2022 by AKgringo]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Wow; explaining "noun" to an American adult, really says something about the education system. :lol:

Edit:
Seriously, how many folks here managed to get through high school without learning about English grammar?

I've never questioned that-- seems like part of basic education-- but by the time I'd graduated I'd taken several years of foreign language classes, which pretty much forces one to think about her native language grammar.

[Edited on 12-10-2022 by lencho]

Direct object pronouns and indirect object pronouns in the same sentence separates the men from the boys when it comes to linguistics.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 06:01 PM

My son has a BA in English and he lost me 30 years ago!
Direct and indirect object pronouns? HUH? I'll ask him :-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Wow; explaining "noun" to an American adult, really says something about the education system. :lol:

Edit:
Seriously, how many folks here managed to get through high school without learning about English grammar?

I've never questioned that-- seems like part of basic education-- but by the time I'd graduated I'd taken several years of foreign language classes, which pretty much forces one to think about her native

language grammar.

[Edited on 12-10-2022 by lencho]

Did anyone ask for an explanation of what a noun is?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:13 PM

David! English is one of the easiest languages to learn! Look online and you wont even find it listed among the first twenty.

Different sites list these, in varying order.

Chinese
Arabic
Japanese
Korean
Hindi
Russian
Vietnamese
TURKISH!!!!!!
Polish
Thai
Hebew
Icelandic
Navajo (West US)

Truly, no way in English remotely difficult.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:17 PM

Regarding the NOUN definition: when I was in elementary school, animals were included in that definition. It is not so any more. As a teacher, I never assume that everyone understands what a noun is!

Come visit La Bocana

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 10:13 AM

Dearest Blanca, we all know what assume can be divided into. Haha

You are a wise woman.

Happy Holidays to you and Les.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 10:40 AM

As a greeting, it is Buenos dias, or Buenas tardes / noches at least as far as I know and have heard a million times.

"Los Aztecas" is another exception - since it refers to a people even though the noun ends in A it is masculine.

English has become the universal language of the world among educated people, including pilots. I'm not a lencho - worthy linguist but I would surmise that this is due to the status of England as a seafaring island nation that established an empire where the sun never set. Perhaps the influence of many other languages upon the English language (Roman, Saxon, Celtic etc.) over the millennia made it relatively easy to learn.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 10:45 AM

The rules in Spanish do bend so they sound clearer. It is El Agua instead of La Agua. What are some other examples?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.